PDA

View Full Version : I cant seem to get good boolits from my lyman 314299

mac1911
05-07-2013, 11:03 PM
I am using straight wheel weights. Which have served me well with my lee molds. I just cant seem to get the bullets wrinkle free. The wrinkles also apear in the same area. I tried from 675 up to 800 degrees alloy temp. I heat the mold on top of the pot.. The boolits will begin to frost and get a bit crusty looking assume its now to hot alloy or mold ? but the wrinkles stay.
I been pulling my hair. This mold has not produced a nice boolit yet. Ok at best.

runfiverun
05-07-2013, 11:42 PM
oil....

btroj
05-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Scrub that sucker with hot water, Comet, and an old toothbrush.

My version of a slightly more succinct comment from Run.....

Larry Gibson
05-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Make sure the mould is clean and free of oil as already mentioned. Add 2% tin to the WWs for a better alloy that will fill out in the mould better. That is a long bullet and the alloy starts to solidify as soon as it enters the mould. The alloy should be 700 - 730 degrees. The mould needs to be hot. The spout on the furnace needs to be opened so the alloy gets into the cavity as soon as possible. Pour one cavity at a time and be generous with the sprue even if it runs over.

Larry Gibson

dromia
05-08-2013, 03:59 AM
I use a couple of these moulds as well as an NOE four holers as I use a lot of these boolits.

As has been said make sure the mould is clean and oil free, I usually boil the sh!te out of them with a squirt of fairy liquid, then run the mould hot.

I heat my iron moulds with a blow torch, this is not recommended as it is claimed it will warp moulds and probably invalidate any warranty, I have been doing this for years with never a problem, I just keep the mould moving in the flame, but as I said its not recommended.

GP100man
05-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Good alloy , as mentioned a bit of tin will help .

I degrease with non chlorinated brake kleen then soap & water, run the mold thru a couple of heat cycles with the hot plate .

If it starts venting oils then I get it hot & smoke the cavitys ever so slightly with a butane liter.

I use BullShops sprue plate loobe on my molds & found ya have to be very judiciuos with it ,or any loobe for that matter when loobing with the mold hot !!

PS: get a long BBQ liter !!

Lance Boyle
05-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I use dawn and old toothbrush to clean all the oil off of my molds. Watch how crazy you get with the sprue lube too.

pipehand
06-02-2013, 11:33 AM
What Larry said about the long boolit issue. I've had better luck with that design using a ladle to pour instead of using the bottom pour spout. Much fewer rejects that way.

Frozone
06-02-2013, 01:08 PM
only thing i can add, and it has been hinted at already. Try pressure casting. Put the mold tight against the spout for the pour, then as you close the spout drop the mold down to get a small sprue.

abunaitoo
06-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Have you tried smoking it????
It seems to work best for me.
If you do try it, make sure you take any smoke off the surface. The smoke should only be in the boolet cavity.
I use an old tooth brush.