PDA

View Full Version : Shorting a single action holster?

Changeling
05-07-2013, 05:09 PM
I have a Bianchi Holster #1 Lawman 7 1/2" for single action.

I bought this at a yard sale and it is in excellent condition. I use it for holstering my Ruger Bearcat .22 5 and 3/8" barrel, witch fits a little loose but OK.

I would like to shorten the holster to the appropriate length to fit the Ruger Bearcat if the Bianchi Holster doesn't have any collector value!

If no collector value, could someone please tell me how to shorten this holster in detail so it looks professionaly done and NOT a "Harry Homeowner" nightmare.

The revolver is very old and means a lot to me, therefore the care and consideration of it's resting place means a lot to me, hope you understand!

Ben
05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I cut one once with a sharp blade on a band saw.

It looked like a lazer had gone through the leather. Smooth and straight.

Ramar
05-08-2013, 05:51 AM
I agree with Ben. But I use a power miter saw. High speed really helps for great results.
Ramar

220swiftfn
05-09-2013, 02:55 AM
Two questions, do you know how to run a "saddle stitch"? And do you know how to burnish an edge? If the answers are "yes", then why are you asking us????? If not, then just cutting the holster will look "Harry homeowner". As to whether or not the holster has "collectable value"?????? No clue here.......

Dan

rintinglen
05-20-2013, 05:32 PM
I'd recommend against using that holster for your Bearcat. An Ill-fitting holster will wear the finish and increase the risk of dammage to, or loss of, your precious firearm.

Rather than trying to modify the oversized holster to fit, which, IMHO, can not be done without looking like Harry Homeowner did it, badly, I'd buy or make a holster to fit it.
I wrote a post on making a holster that is pretty good, if I do say so myself. Or there are a couple of members here who make custom leather goods who would be glad to help you out. Whyte's Leather Goods come to mind. Either would be a better solution than carving up a well made holster.

Of course, then you would be stuck with a holster for which you have no use...I'd recommend adopting a big brother for the Bearcat. Not that we're enablers or anything, it's just that some solutions are screamingly obvious.