PDA

View Full Version : The Plane Truth

KCSO
09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I got a call this weekend from the local thrift shop. An old lady in town brought in a box of wood planes and the best offer he had was $20 bucks, for a box of 10!

I gave him $20 each and have a set of carpenter planes ranging from skew to mouolding to dado. They came in a LYE SOAP box and were initialed in pencil by the original owner. Most date from about 1890 and are Sandusky Tool moaked in numbers from 30 to 145. I may be a fool but I love to use the old tools when I build old stuff.

Bigjohn
09-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I got a call this weekend from the local thrift shop. An old lady in town brought in a box of wood planes and the best offer he had was $20 bucks, for a box of 10!

I gave him $20 each and have a set of carpenter planes ranging from skew to mouolding to dado. They came in a LYE SOAP box and were initialed in pencil by the original owner. Most date from about 1890 and are Sandusky Tool moaked in numbers from 30 to 145. I may be a fool but I love to use the old tools when I build old stuff.

Now, I don't claim to know much about old planes but I do know the value of the older tools. I have never heard of the SANDUSKY TOOL (Co.) but if they are of any quality and still in good condition, you have gained a BARGAIN!

Most of the older tools were made to better quality standards than we experience today and built to last, if looked after.

I have an interest in woodworking and generally keep uptodate with the industry here downunder. There is a group of enthusiasts in Australia who collect, renovate and use the old tools. I believe they have a show coming up on the east coast within a couple of months.

Good luck with your find and enjoy the pleasure of using a tool which if it could talk would possibly spin you a good tale or two.

John.

Johnch
09-11-2007, 11:47 PM
They were made not far from me
I had a neibor that collected the Sandusky Tool planes

When he died they auctioned them off
From memory they brought from $10 for the well used in need of TLC type to $400+ for a couple of them

I sold a few for her on Ebay a few years back , nothing specal got $15 - $30 for them

Look there , last Time I looked there were 1 or 2 up for bids

John