PDA

View Full Version : Model 1911A1

tbierley
05-06-2013, 10:55 PM
I am building a 1911A1 and the frame that I got and plunger tube that holds the safety spring and plunger. How do I install the tube?69765 This picture is what I need to know how to install in the frame. Thanks.

wv109323
05-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Of course the plunger tube goes in the holes in the frame. The extensions ( thats what I am going to call them) that go in the frame are "staked". There are basically three tools that do the same job. One is a pair of pliers that are ground hollow with a pointed set screw. The pointed set screw flares or expands the extensions where the plunger tube can not be removed. Another is an off set "punch" that extends down to the extensions and hitting the punch with a hammer flares the piece. There is also a set of vise grips much like the pliers but use the leverage of the vise grips.. The pliers are the least expensive but takes a lot more force to flare the extenions.
In other words it takes a special tool.

tbierley
05-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Thank you. That is what I was afraid of. I'll take pliers to work and have something made to do it.

km101
05-06-2013, 11:31 PM
If you use the pliers, be very careful not to crush the tube! They are not that tough. Don't ask me how I know!
I had to modify a pair of needle nose vise grips. On the jaw opposite the staking tool, you need to cut out a U-shaped indention just deep enough so that the jaw holds the tube firmly in place, but most of the pressure of the jaw is on the frame. This will prevent collapsing the tube.

Larry Gibson
05-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Also ther is a front and a back to that tube.

Larry Gibson

jmsj
05-07-2013, 01:05 AM
tbierley,
I made a tool like this 10 years ago or so.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/staking-tools/1911-auto-plunger-tube-crimper-prod909.aspx

I have staked many plunger tubes w/ it. I used a set of vise grips I got out of the $3.99 bin @ the auto parts store, made the back up block out of some scrap aluminum and used a drill that was snug for inside the plunger tube while crimping. I have since made a rod out of SS w/ both the large and small diameters on it.
Good luck, jmsj

Mk42gunner
05-07-2013, 01:28 AM
Its not that the job is so difficult, it is that the plunger tubes are so delicate, until they are staked tight to the frame.

The filler rod inside the tube is a very good idea for at least your first fifty or sixty plunger tubes.

Keep in mind if you screw up the first one, plunger tubes are cheap.

Robert

MtGun44
05-07-2013, 01:38 AM
The plunger tube has a small hole in front, large in rear. You need to have a perfectly
fitted rod inside when crimping the tube into the frame to avoid crunching
it. Brownells sells the tool.

Bill