PDA

View Full Version : Ideal 225415 in .22 Savage High Power

richhodg66
05-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Just received this mold in the mail, I plan to cast of straight linotype, lube with LLA and then stick gas checks on and let them get crimped by neck tension when I seat them. I'm hoping this mold will drop at .228 or close to it, it has been my experience that older molds like this tend to drop big.

This is nominally a 55 grain bullet and has a nice flat nose which should be conducive to small game hunting which sounds like fun with this rifle.

I never have cast anything smaller than 7mm. This sure is a little bullet, hope I can make this work. Any thoughts?

Larry Gibson
05-06-2013, 11:34 PM
It just might; my 225418 drops .2275 - .228 when I cast them of Linotype.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
05-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Might post on the WTB as Mihec had a run of the 227-65 NATO bullets that ran oversized. They sent correctly sized moulds for the .223 and did not ask for the oversized moulds back. If you find one for sale you might also have get a sprue plate assembly and handle pins from MiHec for the mould as the replacement blocks came w/o those. Those over size bullets should do well in the 22 HP.

Larry Gibson

richhodg66
05-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the tip, Larry. I'll look for one of those.

I kind of don't like using pure lino, seems a waste, but since I don't see a need for expansion with this bullet, and I want it to drop as large as possible, I figured that was best.

richhodg66
06-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Well, finally got it to the range. First time shooting this rifle and first time casting for .22 centerfires.

I'm pretty pleased. The liquid alox dipping, sticking an aluminum gas check on and letting the seating process crimp it on worked well. Load was 6 grains of Unique which was enough to fire form out the weird "second shoulder" on the .25-35 cases I necked down.

Most shots went into 3/4 " at 25 yards which is about as well as I can do with open sights and a less than stellar trigger. On the whole, I'm pretty pleased. I'll have to develop a jacketed deer load, but I think most of my shooting with this rifle will be this load or similar.