PDA

View Full Version : Name and address?

silverjay
05-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Stopped by a tire shop today and they have me 1/2 bucked of sorted truck weights for free! They wanted my name and address in case the health district came and asked them how they disposed of the weights. Anyone else get this before?

slim1836
05-06-2013, 09:30 PM
I say give it to them and take all you can get.

Slim

dbosman
05-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Typically, I make up a name and address for stores that ask, because it really isn't any of their business. But... A tire shop could well be audited if there are disposal regulations in your neck of the woods.
On the whole, considering what we give up for nothing, merely by surfing the interwebs, name and address is cheap for WWs.

ssnow
05-07-2013, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. If you look for wheel weights long enough, you are going to hear all kinds of things. Things like; the EPA, Health Department, or some other Government/law enforcement agency won't allow them to sell lead weights to the public. That it's against the law to use lead weights these days.

Most of these things are false, but they are told these things and believe them. Like many false rumors, they begin with a grain of truth, and grow wildly from there.

For example, it is now illegal in a few states for a tire shop to install lead weights. One may assume this means it is illegal to sell them to the public, and that could be the case, but it's not against the law to sell or give away the used weights unless that it is stated in that particular law. But do note, even where this is the law, it is only in a few states.

Then there is the popular rumor that the EPA has banned lead wheel weights. They have not, and can not. It is beyond their power to do so. But they are against the lead weight, and are taking action against them in every way they can. They are gradually working towards a nation wide ban, but we are not there yet.

The writing is on the wall for the lead wheel weight. But they can still be found at the present in most states. Stock up while you can.

hickfu
05-07-2013, 12:07 AM
If I could find a tire shop that would give me WW's you can bet I would give them my name and address along with my phone # if they would call me when they have more.... But I live in California so Im out of luck on that.

Doc

runfiverun
05-07-2013, 12:21 AM
they all tell you that then you go to the scrap yard and see 55 gallon drums full of them.
I used to have my name and phone number on plastic buckets all over town.

silverjay
05-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks, I gave home my name and number. He does my brake and suspension work so there wasn't much use doing anything else anyway.

John Allen
05-07-2013, 12:08 PM
You should of told them that you live at

600 Smelter Way
Zincville, (your state and zip)

LabGuy
05-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Technically, they are supposed to track how they disposed of a hazardous waste. I give them a receipt with my name, address, and phone, and how many pounds of wheel weights. From the federal perspective it’s just a record keeping thing. Your state and local mileage may vary.