PDA

View Full Version : Unique Powder

James6406
05-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Just got home from the range trying out new loads in my Sig P238 (380acp). I am using 95gr truncated cone lead bullets. One of my loads was using 3.0gr of Unique. These seemed to fire well. The only problem I noticed was that the Unique was very dirty compared to the other powders I tried. I had a noticeable amount of burnt powder on the bench after shooting 6 rounds. Was wondering if this was typical to the experience of others.

The 3.0gr fills the casing mostly full and I found myself wondering if there is a possibility that it is not all burned before enough pressure has built up to launch the bullet (not enough crimp?). These are my observations and thoughts. Comments from the experienced will be appreciated.

texassako
05-06-2013, 09:18 PM
I have only loaded Bullseye and Clays in .380, but I have found Unique to be pretty dirty in other cartridges. I have not noticed a bunch of unburned powder in them though. You are under the minimum load for Lyman's 358242 RN(Lyman Cast 3rd Ed.) which is a similar weight, but your comment about lack of room makes me wonder whose bullet you are shooting.

stinjie
05-06-2013, 09:28 PM
I get a good bit of unburned powder also,makes a good mess at the shooting bench.Maybe a hotter,bigger spark is needed?I might try a few loads using magnum primers for the 357,to see if anything cleans up.

James6406
05-06-2013, 09:40 PM
I have only loaded Bullseye and Clays in .380, but I have found Unique to be pretty dirty in other cartridges. I have not noticed a bunch of unburned powder in them though. You are under the minimum load for Lyman's 358242 RN(Lyman Cast 3rd Ed.) which is a similar weight, but your comment about lack of room makes me wonder whose bullet you are shooting.

When I say the case is full this is considering the volume taken up by the seated bullet. When i charged the first case it was fuller than I was used to seeing when loading my 357's with Herco. So I measured the remaning unfilled case. The 3.0gr seems to be a slightly compressed load.

uscra112
05-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Unique is notoriously "dirty".

I don't know how deeply your are seating your boolit, but in that tiny case just seating a little bit (.030) deeper may be all that is needed to up the pressure and clean up the burn. But even so, in that short barrel you are never going to burn more than 75% or so of the load, using Unique.

If it were me, I'd be using a faster powder. AA#2 comes to mind, or Clays, Red Dot, or my favorite (albeit expensive) Vihtavuuori 310. VV310 works splendidly in tiny cases like my .32 S&W and .32 Colt. You do have to watch like a hawk for double charges, though. All too easy to double charge when the charge is only 1.2 grains! I weigh every one.

You can't go too crazy with your crimp, because your .380 has to headspace on the case mouth.

James6406
05-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Unique is notoriously "dirty".

I don't know how deeply your are seating your boolit, but in that tiny case just seating a little bit (.030) deeper may be all that is needed to up the pressure and clean up the burn. But even so, in that short barrel you are never going to burn more than 75% or so of the load, using Unique.

If it were me, I'd be using a faster powder. AA#2 comes to mind, or Clays, Red Dot, or my favorite (albeit expensive) Vihtavuuori 310. VV310 works splendidly in tiny cases like my .32 S&W and .32 Colt. You do have to watch like a hawk for double charges, though. All too easy to double charge when the charge is only 1.2 grains! I weigh every one.

You can't go too crazy with your crimp, because your .380 has to headspace on the case mouth.

Thanks for the feedback. Right now powder is hard to find in my area. My job had me out of town a while ago and I was able to find a pound of Unique at an off the beaten path gunshop. I was looking for Win231 or HP38 but it was all they had in pistol powder.

I have set up to seat to 0.975" and have also weighed each load while working up my charges. My Lee Modern Reloading manual does not have load data for Unique in 380. It does show many other powders/bullets and their minimum OAL.

gofastman
05-12-2013, 11:48 AM
I get a good bit of unburned powder also,makes a good mess at the shooting bench.Maybe a hotter,bigger spark is needed?I might try a few loads using magnum primers for the 357,to see if anything cleans up.
there is never need for mag primers in .380 imo, the case is just so darn small you will get a big increase in peak pressure but no meaningful gain in velocity.

Unique is dirty! whenever someone mentions it I think about how much better WSF is.
I think, though, that you may just be using too slow of a powder.
I would try to find some WST (WSF's faster burning cousin) and see how that works for you

Shooter6br
05-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Switched to Red Dot for 380 with cast Lee 102 g.No unburnt powder.

rexherring
05-13-2013, 10:36 AM
As mentioned above, faster powders work better in the .380. Unique is a great powder but on the slower side for small capacity cases. I use either Bullseye or HP38/W231 in the .380 and have no issues. You can get about 3,000 rounds out of a 1 lb can of BE.

Larry Gibson
05-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Unique is an excellent powder and I've not found it to be "dirtier" than any other powder when used in it's correct application. Most complaints of such as are in this instance. As mentioned Unique is most often not a good powder for the .380 because it is too slow burning. It also is not the best powder for ultra light, "squib" or "cat's sneeze" loads, particularly in larger cases with lighter bullets.

Larry Gibson

freebullet
05-13-2013, 12:22 PM
In general I only find unburned powder when the charge isn't quite right. 3.4-3.8gr. Hs-6 works good @.920" in the p238 w/lee 102gr. Boolits.

James6406
05-13-2013, 06:52 PM
In talking with my brother-in-law yesterday, he suggested upping the charge with Unique which seems consisten with some if the suggestions here. I did notice that my ejected casings were landing very close to me. I had expected them to be flung much farther. I will give an icreased charge a try to complete the learning experience but will continue trying to find a faster powder.

Ed_Shot
05-13-2013, 07:12 PM
I use Unique 3.0 gr with the Lee 356-102-R. Works great. The weapon gets cleaned no matter what powder I use.

superbee
05-14-2013, 10:05 AM
I use Unique 3.0 gr with the Lee 356-102-R. Works great. The weapon gets cleaned no matter what powder I use.

Ditto:D

d garfield
05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Try putting a crimp on. That usually makes it burn all of the powder. I crimp all of my cast loads

USMC87
05-14-2013, 06:17 PM
I too experience the dirty powder issue with unique but it performs good in a number of loads I use.

drsfmd
05-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Maybe it would be better with 120 grain boolits.

Where are you finding that load? I can't find anything published over 95 gn.

fcvan
05-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Bullseye has been my favorite powder for the .380 ACP. I generally load the Lee 356-102 1R or the 358-105 SWC over 3 grains of Bullseye. I size to .358 as that has shot well in all of my .380 pistols. I did try some Unique and W231 way back in the 1980s but Bullseye just performed so well. A couple years ago, my cousin gave me an 8lb keg someone gave to him. He mostly loads for shotgun and .270 so he had no use for all that powder. At 3 grains a load that 8lb keg should last a while.

roysha
05-25-2013, 01:40 PM
For virtually all my handguns except for full power loads and my 44 Mag, I use 700X. Very efficient, clean, meters beautifully and since it is nominally a shotgun powder I have found it to be more readily available than most of the "normal" handgun and rifle powders. It is similar to Bullseye but much cleaner. I wouldn't give a dime for a carload of 231 unless I knew I could sell it for $.15.

I don't own a 380 so cannot suggest a load, but I'm sure the IMR site or manual would have data.

onehousecat
07-07-2013, 02:42 AM
Unique is my go to powder for all non magnum cartridges. I have used it for everything from .380 acp to 45 Colt. It is a very forgiving powder, and has worked well for me.