PDA

View Full Version : experiment with lube

Chihuahua Floyd
05-06-2013, 07:24 PM
After reading about 458 lube formulas here and on other forums, I decided to take the plunge and cook up some lube, pan lube some bullets and see what goes.
Cake cutter is simply a 30-06 case, run thru the Lyman M die and primer pocket drilled out to take a 1/4" bolt.
Bullets are Lyman 311291 with GC seated in a Lee push thru die.
did not have any beeswax, did have a part of a wax ring I use for flux when smelting. added some candle wax and Crisco. cools into a brown, kinda soft lube, very slick.
Loaded some with 40.0g of AA2520 and we will try to get to the range next week for a test run.
Based this on the assumptions as follows;
1 Any and everything waxy and or slick has been used as lube.
2 All formulas work for somebody, else they would not be listed.
Not going for 3000fps velocity.
If it don't work I'm only out a little powder, lead and effort to remove lead from barrel.
CF
Picts may follow.

Grump
05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Experiments in the 1960s by the NRA showed that a few innovative for the time lubes could be run fast enough with no leading, but effects on *accuracy* were the issue and the variable to be examined.

IIRC, motor mica and graphite flunked badly. Think neither leaded. Later works by others made me suspect that the particle size of the graphite might have been part of that problem.

Me, I gladly enough shot a few loads in .357 that leaded a bit but I put up with it for the accuracy. In .40, I totally gave up on some commercial cast because they leaded AND gave lousy accuracy...

44man
05-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Grump is correct. My lube tests have shown a wide range in accuracy without leading problems.
I am in the camp of proper friction with cast. In other words you don't want to eliminate all friction and you don't want to increase it either.

geargnasher
05-14-2013, 11:27 PM
2 All formulas work for somebody, else they would not be listed.

This is not an entirely accurate assumption. Many recipes have been published on the internet because someone wanted the attention.

Gear