PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Nick10Ring
05-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Can any fellow forum members ID this metal for me? I came into several ingots which are 2 3/4"x2 3/4" and they say the following,"SUPER ALUMALOY BEARING METAL". Is this what is known as babbit or monotype lead? Would appreciate any info I can get.

Nick10Ring

05-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Sounds like Babbit bearing metal. Can be lead or tin based containing various amounts of other metals. Does it have an ASTM number or "Grade" stamp? If so, it would be easy to determine its composition.

mikeym1a
05-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Just found a reference to alumaloy as an aluminum welding material. Also, instead of the old tri-metal bearing for cars, tin-copper-steel, the new cars us aluminum alloy bearing material. Supposedly superior to the old tri-metal, but most engine builders say 'not really'. But, they are government required, to get the lead out of the environment..... sound familiar?

Zthomps
08-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Can any fellow forum members ID this metal for me? I came into several ingots which are 2 3/4"x2 3/4" and they say the following,"SUPER ALUMALOY BEARING METAL". Is this what is known as babbit or monotype lead? Would appreciate any info I can get.

Nick10Ring
Nick your private message is full but my address is on the package I sent u