PDA

View Full Version : Old S&W in 38S&w

pumpguy
09-10-2007, 01:06 AM
The guy I bought some guns from today had an old S&W chambered in 38 S&W. It was a smallish gun about the size of a Ruger sp101. It was a break open model where you lift up the front sight to empty the cylinder. It did not have any model number on it. It was in decent shape for its age. Any ideas what is or what it is worth? I don't collect S&Ws, but, should I consider this one? Thanks

Bret4207
09-10-2007, 08:05 AM
By the front sight I assume you mean the rear sight near the hammer? Those stirrup latch/break open/top break/top latch (choose your term) S+W's were fine guns. Not super strong, but certainly adequite for the cartridges they took. Assuming yours is a smokeless powder model it should be a decent shooter. Try the S+W forum at www.smith-wessonforum.com There are also probably websites I'm not aware of to help ID the gun. The sights will challenge your eyes.

The 38 S+W is a fine target/small game/self defense round loaded correctly. The nominal load invloves a .360 146 gr lead RN at about 600-650 fps. In a solid gun you can switch to a good wadcutter, FN or SWC at a little more speed and have a usable, if not over powered, carry gun. Stay away from crack houses, biker bars, meth labs and other guys wives and you probably won't need a hi-cap 9mm spray and pray type platform. I darn sure don't want to stand in front of a well loaded 38 S+W. Shoot, I seem to recallone day when a 22 lr Marlin looked pretty darn big to me. It all depends on which end of the gun is pointed at you!

44man
09-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Good collector gun. I would not like to try and stop anyone with it though.
Years ago I repaired one and test fired it into a 2x4 on the back floor of a junker car. I was in the city so didn't want to make noise. I leaned the gun over the front seat and shot six rounds into the board. Every bullet was just stuck less then halfway into the wood. Someone with heavy winter clothing on might not even feel the shots let alone some hopped up druggy. Not a whole lot better then a .25 auto!

Bret4207
09-10-2007, 10:06 AM
44 man- Thats where judicious handloading with a proper lead BOOLIT comes in. I had the same experience with my S+W Perfected and factory 146 LRN. On the other hand a 360271 pushed by some Bullseye turned it into a decent penetrator. Should I ever get a chance to mimic the old 38S+W Super Police load with a 200 gr boolit (358480 I think) I sure it'lll be a short range thumper. Of course all this applies to qulaity arms, not the old "suicide specials". Surely there are better choices for personal protection, but if I have a choice about it I'm avoiding the gun fight in the first place.

44man
09-10-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't even own a personal protection gun but have thought about hiding my BFR 10", 45-70 under a "T" shirt. [smilie=1: Yeah you guys think it's funny but it could ride on my belly. :mrgreen:

pumpguy
09-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Any idea what the price range would be on this gun? It would be strictly a shooter. No bluing left and a tiny bit rusty. Mechanically sound and a decent barrell.

9.3X62AL
09-10-2007, 11:25 AM
44 Man--

Would that revo use a holster.......or a sling strap? :-)

Bret--

I've run quite a few of the fattened #358430's (195 RN) through a Webley-Enfield and a S&W M&P in 38 S&W. OKSMLE also sent me some NEI #169A's a while back, which mimic the British service bullet pretty closely, too (178 RN).

Using a dated Handloader article provided by Buckshot, the text basically said to use 38 Special standard pressure data and overall loaded length in the W/E and M&P. The data showed the 195 grainers to be running about 700-725 FPS, which--hey, what a surprise--runs right with the 38 S&W Super Police load. I will say this--those loads put a much stronger smack on a metal dinger plate than the standard 145 grain loads ever did. I darn sure wouldn't stand downrange to catch those critters incoming if I could help it.

The article author used a Ruger Speed-Six in 38 S&W to derive his results. Now, THAT would be a tempting platform to play with. With that kinda strength, I'd be acting like a latter-day Elmer Keith with this caliber.

Bret4207
09-10-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't even own a personal protection gun but have thought about hiding my BFR 10", 45-70 under a "T" shirt. [smilie=1: Yeah you guys think it's funny but it could ride on my belly. :mrgreen:

OKAY! I GIVE UP!!! That was a mental image I did NOT need!:groner:

44man
09-10-2007, 03:42 PM
BELLY BAND---:mrgreen:

Buckshot
09-12-2007, 12:58 AM
..............I have no idea what the value of the S&W would be. Best to check with a collector of S&W stuff. However, if the person that owns it would take $150 for it (assumeing it's in good enough condition to shoot) I'd think it would be reasonable. Of course it could be some super rare ultra valuble piece, but I'd have no idea about that.

I have a nickle plated Iver Johnson 5 shot DA & SA top break that's mechanicly like new. I paid that amount for it. It does have a couple places where the nickle has flaked or is fading, but the trigger and hammer still show brilliant color casehardening, as does the locking stirrup. While the IJ name doesn't carry the same weight as S&W, I really can't see how S&W could have made one better.

http://www.fototime.com/86C54337F979FDD/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/5F1992A31630875/standard.jpg

I am unable to find any poorly done work, from the lack of machine marks and the quality of it's final polish it rivals my K38 easily. Those guys back then cared, even for a fairly low priced revolver such as this probably was.

In deferance to it (and the decidedly thin metal over the chambers) I certainly don't push any loads. About the most intrepid I've been has been 1.8grs of Bullseye under a 150gr WC. From the short bbl (and there is a bit of excess bbl-cyl gap) the slug chrono's 520 fps. Accuracy is actually quite good as it will keep 5 rounds in the black of a 25 yard slow fire pistol bull.

The sights WILL give you a headache though! The front blade from the side looks like a nice big sugerloaf. Point the pistol away for shooting and it disappears :-) I've not miked it but it looks about as wide as a razor blade.

.................Buckshot

pumpguy
09-13-2007, 11:23 PM
The guy who has this old gun actually has quite a few in IJ. I glossed over them because of the name. I might buy a couple just for fun. Is 38 S&W brass hard to come by and what is a good cast boolit for them?

Buckshot
09-14-2007, 02:18 AM
The guy who has this old gun actually has quite a few in IJ. I glossed over them because of the name. I might buy a couple just for fun. Is 38 S&W brass hard to come by and what is a good cast boolit for them?

...............Both Winchester and Remington still load the 38 S&W. Starline has the brass, and Lee makes dies. The 38 S&W boolit is fatter then the 38 Special. Slug should be about .361" - .362". NEI has correct moulds. I was able to buy a Lyman 4 cav 35863 which drops a 150gr WC @ .363" so that's what I mostly use.

I have 2 S&W Victory Models that will shoot the Lee 358-148WC cast of pure lead pretty well. However that's probably because when loaded to the same OAL as a 38 Special you can load the 38 S&W with the same charges so the pressure must upset them. You can't do that with the old original revolvers in 38 S&W as they weren't designed to handle 38 Special pressures.

It's just a fun old gun to shoot. Heck I just like looking at it :-)

...............Buckshot