PDA

View Full Version : new at loading cast bullets

tory
05-06-2013, 05:53 AM
I took the plunge and bought some cast bullets for my 30-30 win. At the time I didn't know a heck of a lot concerning cast bullets and I still don't. I do know that in order to shoot these bullets at rifle velocities and avoid leading I need to use gas checks. When I heard this I started looking into purchasing them. I have since then discovered that the bullet has to be cast to accept gas checks. So here is my issue, I have 500 cast 30-30 bullets that are not made to accept gas checks and I have no idea how to load them to keep the velocities under 1400 fps. I am hoping that some on here has loading cast bullets in a 30-30 without gas checks and had some information on how to keep them under 1400 fps.
I have had trouble finding a load that does this. Please help.

I have 100 grain plinkers and 135 grain for hunting.

mdi
05-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Gas checks aren't an absolute necessity. Good bullet to bore fit will give you non-leading bullets along with a good lube. Slug the barrel of your gun and size/purchase bullets that are .002" larger than groove diameter. This will insure the bullets seal the bore, keeping hot gasses from melting the sides of the bullet. There isn't any magic number for velocity to eliminate leading, and I've read, here, about riflemen shooting lead bullets to over 2,000 fps w/o leading...

runfiverun
05-06-2013, 01:17 PM
I think he already has them and needs a load.
something like 7 grs of unique will work.

David2011
05-08-2013, 11:11 AM
You might look at H4895 for reduced loads as well. Hodgdon has a lot of info on their website.

David