PDA

View Full Version : shell holder issues

450 racer
05-05-2013, 11:27 PM
I went to load some 6.5 swiss today and when I tried to size the case it would not fit in the rcbs #2 shell holder, so I double checked to make sure I was using the right one then I tried different brass once fired federal fit just fine but some pmc did not. I also tried some 30-30 brass and none of it fit not even brand new stuff then I tried the 6.5 in a #3 and it fit but the 30-30 still does not. weird thing is I have used this holder several times before without issues but now it is giving me fits has anyone had this happen before or know what is going on?

frkelly74
05-05-2013, 11:41 PM
It pays to have an assortment of shell holders on hand for the odd brass. I find that if you have and use found brass of different pedigrees that you will have some variation in dimension.

MT2DAY
03-14-2014, 03:30 PM
I purchased a new rcbs shell holder and the fit was very loose. I checked the shell holder chart to make sure I had the correct holder and then dug out my lyman shell holders and it also is loose. My question is are some holders loose because of multiple applications?

Lueftl
03-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Hello 450 racer,
for the 6,5x55 which actually is Swedish and not Swiss, you might also take shell holder 18, when the rim of the cartridge is a bit thick. This is happening quite often.

Kindest regards

lueftl

shooter93
03-16-2014, 07:30 PM
I got in the habit of buying a shell holder for every caliber I load and keeping it in the die box even if it works for several different calibers. The 6.5,45 auto rim ,10mm and others seem to at times need a specific holder.