PDA

View Full Version : Recycling Bad Ammo, . . .

Jeff R
05-05-2013, 11:10 PM
In 2000, when I knew even less than I do now, I made some bad 45 ACP ammo, with store bought 230 gr. RN bullets. At the time, I didn’t have a taper crimp die. I had a note in the cartridge boxes that said, “ had a hard time getting a crimp that would hold bullet.” Now, I have pulled the bullets, and will make them into new Boolits.

I’ll melt them with a bunch of recovered boolits. I will try to wipe off all the flakes of Unique. My concern is what would happen if a flake or two of powder would make it into the lead pot. I know that somebody has already run this experiment, either intentionally or unintentionally. There is data out there.

What is the tolerance for error for this operation?
Thanks!
Jeff

frkelly74
05-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Put the bullets in a pile out in the driveway and torch them with a propane torch so that the powder burns off. Then melt as usual.

Jeff R
05-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks! That's a great solution.
Jeff

2wheelDuke
05-06-2013, 12:02 AM
I just put them into the melt, or more accurately, onto the sawdust ash on top of my melt. You see a little flash from the flakes of powder burning as they go down, but I've never had any problem with it.

I do try to get as much powder off the boolits as possible before they go in the pot.

SciFiJim
05-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Put the bullets in a pile out in the driveway and torch them with a propane torch so that the powder burns off. Then melt as usual.

I was thinking a junk pie tin and some alcohol that will burn. Place the boolits, pour in the alcohol and light.

DON'T USE GASOLINE!! The fumes spread too far, too quickly, and can ignite other things when lit. Ask me how I know this.[smilie=1:

338RemUltraMag
05-06-2013, 06:23 AM
I was thinking a junk pie tin and some alcohol that will burn. Place the boolits, pour in the alcohol and light.

DON'T USE GASOLINE!! The fumes spread too far, too quickly, and can ignite other things when lit. Ask me how I know this.[smilie=1:

I wish I could "like" this... Been there too this is a smart man...

bslim
05-06-2013, 02:22 PM
I throw mine in my Dillon case seperater, give them a rattle for a couple of turns, and most of the powder falls off. Empty the sperater container on the front lawn for fertilizer.

Inkman
05-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Mine go onto the top of a cold pot as it is heating up. Never seen a flash, just plenty of smoke from the lube and powder.

Amazing how many boolits you can find on the ground at the range for the melting pot. Pull em and melt em.

Al

bumpo628
05-07-2013, 03:32 PM
You might get it all off by washing them too.

bruce381
05-09-2013, 08:46 PM
put them in cold they will flash as they get hot but not melted yet