PDA

View Full Version : Bought some linotype today

richhodg66
05-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Some in pig form and some in the little letter blocks. There was also some in long, thin strips that the guy said were different because they were used as spacers for the type.

I know nothing about the printing business, what would these be composed of? The guy wasn't a caster, but said one guy he'd talked to said those strips were a little harder than wheel weights. Any thoughts?

454PB
05-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Though I've never actually done a hardness test on the spacer strips, some of them do appear softer than normal linotype. One way to tell is to try and fold them.....if they are the same composition as linotype, they will break before bending very far.

richhodg66
05-05-2013, 10:02 PM
They are fairly malleable. I don't have access to a hardness tester. Guess I should have one. I'll segregate them out and use them seperately, they might come in real handy for a hunting bullet alloy.

imashooter2
05-05-2013, 10:08 PM
It doesn't make sense to me that a printer would keep 2 different alloys, one to make type and another to make spacers...

williamwaco
05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
They don't make the spacers. They buy them and just insert them as needed.

They are much softer and significantly cheaper. Since they do not contact the page, there is no wear. They do not need to be either hard or tough.

Many years ago I bought 500 lbs lino.

I sorted out the spacers and smelted them separately.

They tested 16 BNH

I do not mix them with the lino.

I now toss them into the unknown scrap pile.

richhodg66
05-05-2013, 10:22 PM
They don't make the spacers. They buy them and just insert them as needed.

They are much softer and significantly cheaper. Since they do not contact the page, there is no wear. They do not need to be either hard or tough.

Many years ago I bought 500 lbs lino.

I sorted out the spacers and smelted them separately.

They tested 16 BNH

I do not mix them with the lino.

I now toss them into the unknown scrap pile.

Thanks! That is helpful. The guy has more and I will go back when I have my truck and after pay day.

Actually, I don't cast much real hard anymore, the strips may be more useful than the lino.

MattOrgan
05-05-2013, 10:29 PM
In all of the cast Linotype I've ever purchased has included blank cast strips of type metal ,brass strips and wood strips. Type metal does seem to get softer the more times it is cast.

Defcon-One
05-06-2013, 07:55 PM
I have seen spacers that are Linotype and others that are much softer!

The best answer is to keep them separated. Also, 454PB is 100% right; Bend them, if they break in two before the ends touch they are probably Linotype. The break area will be dull grayish and very grainy looking.

Another option is to melt them. If they melt at around 470 degrees F, it is likely Linotype. Less Tin and more lead will mean a higher melting point.