PDA

View Full Version : Drum of Range Scrap

Larry D.
05-05-2013, 07:26 PM
I have a line on a 55 gallon drum of what the scrapper is calling range scrap.
One of the guys at work bought one a year and a half ago for 40 cents a pound. He is a wake-boarder and uses it to weight the boat for a bigger wake.
He tells me to expect brass, jackets, and the occasional dud round (YOW!) in the drum. He also says it'll be in the neighborhood of 6-700 pounds.

I''m thinking that if I can get it for 50 cents a pound, I should come out pretty good when I recycle the brass and copper.
I would be open to splitting this with members in the Phoenix, AZ area if they're interested.

Am I all wet here?

dilly
05-05-2013, 10:14 PM
I think it's a sound investment.

Spending money, adding work, and reselling for more money is basically what all of us do with our lives in some form or another.

dbosman
05-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Check to see if the local recycling place will accept, cartridge brass. Mine won't. The next on down the road will.

Beau Cassidy
05-06-2013, 02:39 PM
It will be a good investment. Plan on spending a LOT of time sorting that much. Several years ago I was going to buy a full barrel of brass from an indoor range but 2 of us could not move it!. I ended up buying half of the barrel and spent HOURS and HOURS sorting it. I burned up my big RCBS vibrator cleaning all of the brass.

Larry D.
05-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Check to see if the local recycling place will accept, cartridge brass. Mine won't. The next on down the road will.

My local guy does.

3.50 a pound last summer.

220swiftfn
05-09-2013, 01:34 AM
Depending on how full it is, it'll be a LOT more than 6-700 pounds!!!!!!

Dan

dilly
05-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Once you get it all sorted and meet your 30 days 30 post (or whatever it is) requirement, the swapping and selling board on here is a great place to unload the calibers you're not interested in keeping for yourself. More work yet, packing selling, shipping, etc. but there is a lot more money to be had in cartridge brass than scrap brass.

NewbieDave007
05-09-2013, 02:29 PM
It is surprising on how time consuming it is to sort brass. Also, you stated that this is from a scrapper, so it makes me wonder what is actually in the barrel if it is anywhere close to $0.50/lb. As you stated, brass scrap is well above that, so I would be interested to hear what you find out. Either way that is an interesting find and if I was in your area, I would at least take a look at it with you for something near that price.

bear67
05-09-2013, 04:23 PM
I have experience with 55 gallon steel drums filled with wheel weights and full they weigh 2000 #+. Last one was close to exactly 1/2 full and weighed 1077 #. I was in a scrap yard in Morrilton Ar last fall and he had a half steel barrel melted full of ???. Sure would hate to have to melt it down and would be afraid of contamination. He offered to sell it to me for $0.20 and I declined.