PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Starline brass

texasmac
05-05-2013, 01:47 PM
While attending the NRA Annual Meeting & Trade Show yesterday, I dropped by the Starline booth and picked up a couple of samples of Starline .45-70 brass with the intent to compare it to some new Remington & Winchester. I also have 100 pcs of new Starline .45-90 that came with a rifle I bought for resale some time ago. I’ve never had a chance to check the brass out closely. Starline has a reputation of making high-quality brass which is significantly cheaper than either Rem. or Win., at least from the sources I buy from. So, after checking the Starline out a few comments are in order.

The Starline is very nice looking brass. The primer flash holes are uniform with no rough edges which is evident in both Rem. in Win. Since I predominantly use Rem., deburring the flash holes is a normal step in my new brass preparations, which would not be necessary for Starline. The next step was to check out the wall thicknesses. I used 0.5” as the neck length measurement limitation since I never seat bullets any deeper.

Measuring with a tubing micrometer around the perimeter of the neck area, the average thickness varied from 0.010” to 0.0105”, for an overall variation of 0.0005”, which is about half the variation of Rem. & Win. Measuring from the lip to 0.5” into the case, the wall thickness did not vary or taper significantly, contrary to the tapered walls of the Rem. & Win. which thicken 0.002” & 0.001” respectively.

One can debate that tapered case neck walls are a positive or negative depending on the dimensions of the rifle chamber. My Browning .40-65 rifle chamber has a well defined (constant diameter) 0.5” long neck. Therefore, striving for uniform neck tension, I believe the ideal case necks should have no taper for this rifle, so I outside neck turn the Rem. cases. When fire formed the necks will conform to the chamber dimensions, resulting in a constant ID (no taper). The chamber in my Browning .45-70 tapers all the way to the transition step, so I believe that an ideal case should have a taper that matches the chamber taper, resulting in fire formed cases with a constant neck ID (no taper) & uniform neck tension. So I do not neck-turn the Rem. brass for this chamber.

Wayne

kokomokid
05-05-2013, 03:33 PM
I got 200 recently and they were very uniform. The primer pockets were deeper than ww rp or fed and my redding uniformer did not remove any metal. When I checked headspace only three of the first 100 did not pass and were marked foulers. LB

texasmac
05-05-2013, 04:23 PM
I forgot to mention rim thickness, which measured an average of 0.065" +/- 0.001, the same as my Rem. & Win.

Kokomokid, interesting comments. I just measured the primer pockets depth and the Starline .45-70 is 0.132". My Rem. comes in at 0.128" +/- 0.0015". But the Starline .45-90 is a very consistant 0.128". Therefore, if one uses LP primers as do many BPCR shooters, the Starline .45-70 is on the verge of being too deep.

Wayne

kokomokid
05-05-2013, 05:36 PM
I use cci large pistol on most loads but seat them through .009 art paper. I check headspace with a feeler gauge and shell holder.

EDG
05-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Starline brass is very hard in the neck. You may find you need to anneal the neck to avoid blowby.

Ramar
05-06-2013, 06:52 AM
EDG said "Starline brass is very hard in the neck. You may find you need to anneal the neck to avoid blowby."

I thought Stareline recommended all their brass to be annealed first.
I do anneal first, it's easy and may be helpful for that perfect load....
Ramar

Ed in North Texas
05-06-2013, 07:11 AM
EDG said "Starline brass is very hard in the neck. You may find you need to anneal the neck to avoid blowby."

I thought Stareline recommended all their brass to be annealed first.
I do anneal first, it's easy and may be helpful for that perfect load....
Ramar

Starline does recommend annealing, before first use, all their cases which are to be used with Black Powder. I could be mistaken, but I believe the reason for the neck hardness is making brass for both smokeless and Black use. The smokeless loads should have a much harder neck than the Black and brass made for the smokeless can easily be set for Black by annealing (the reverse is not easy).

'74 sharps
05-06-2013, 08:05 AM
I'll buy Starline over anything else available for my bp shooting. Only other brand I use is Lapua for my 6mmbr reloading.