PDA

View Full Version : Scout mount for m39 (with two pics)

Finn45
08-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Hi,
Finally got my scout mount installed, this is made by Darrell Harrison and seems to be very good manufacturing. Main thing for me is that modifications are not needed and rifle can be returned to original in few minutes. Thanks to Jim for the hint and to Don for offering his mount if getting this deal fails.

First pic shows lining up the mount by bore sighting and in the second one it's ready to go. No time to shoot that thing yet... but it's pretty surely on the paper already.

http://pyssymiehet.com/gunstuff/m39lining.jpg

http://pyssymiehet.com/gunstuff/m39scout.jpg

jh45gun
08-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Darrel makes a nice mount I sure like mine on my K31 Jim

Buckshot
08-13-2005, 08:29 AM
............Well darn! My stinky little 233Mhz laptop wouldn't download but a tiny bit of those photo's.

............Buckshot

8mmshooter
08-13-2005, 09:24 AM
That sure is one fine set up you have there Finn. Do you have any more photo's of your rifle as well? Have you got a chance to shoot her yet. 8mmshooter

NVcurmudgeon
08-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Finn, Good looking scout scope mounting, appears to be very sturdy. One other thing I noticed is that your M39 looks to be in brand new condition. Can we see a picture of the whole rifle? Your handle was used to educate a couple of dealers at the Big Reno Gun Show yesterday. I cited you as the authority for the correct pronunciation of "Sako." So now you are somewhat known in faraway Nevada!

StarMetal
08-13-2005, 11:43 AM
I don't know what Finn said the correct way to pronounce SAKO is, but I've been told it was Sucko.

Joe

Scrounger
08-13-2005, 12:15 PM
I don't know what Finn said the correct way to pronounce SAKO is, but I've been told it was Sucko.

Joe

Take your Lithium, Joe.

NVcurmudgeon
08-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Socko, not Seiko.

Finn45
08-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi, Here's earlier pic from the first range trip. M39 looks plainer than live because of the dark weather and flash; stock is in original form without any refinishing, just original army varnish cooking or something like that. Here it's with original rear sight. Rifle is like new, now removed sight parts are like brand new with original tacky protective and tarred oil on them too.

I was going to develop a load to shoot our moose hunting test with this rifle, but time seems to be scarce right now. Hopefully I manage to put few boolits on the paper and cast few more to load for the test. Test target is a moving one so slower cast loads will be more difficult to shoot than past 2600fps jacketed loads. But I've passed the test with Marlin before, so... I just like to watch those faces at the range... self made lead bullets and whatta heck is that scope set up... Pistols scopes are not so common here, most regular hunters haven't seem them before at all, not to mention on the top of the Ukko-Pekka (m39's nickname).

Btw, the trigger was pretty heavy and tacky in this rifle, so during scope mount assembly I just bent the trigger spring-sear combination with the screw driver, cleaned the protective tar out of it and oiled it with CLP and resulted pretty perfect two-stage trigger. Really nice and light first stage pull and firm and precise second stage.

Oh yeah, I trimmed the barrel pretty perfectly in the middle of the stock work too... will see if it's better or worse than original...

And I'm going to find a way to record some Sako or else stuff so You can hear it live... Just don't have necessary recording equipment right now. Joe's Sucko is pretty close...

Buckshot, these are relatively small pics to load, around 100kt, I can make them smaller, but I prefer something to look for. It could be also that my website provider is having some problems time to time.

http://pyssymiehet.com/gunstuff/m39_1895.jpg

Finn45
08-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Socko, not Seiko.

Well, hehe, I don't know actual difference between saying suck or sock, but it's definitely not seiko that's for sure...

8mmshooter
08-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Those are some fine looking rifles Finn. Especially the SAKO M-39 . I would be right proud to have one that looks half that good. Thanks for sharin the pictures. 8mmshooter

mike in co
08-14-2005, 05:59 PM
ok kiddies..i just got back from the range with my m39 shooting 174 hornady's.
less than an inch left to right but strung up and down about 6 inches.
took the scope off , tightened the rear mount screw. and tried again.

i was shooting four diff loads of 4350 ..all of which showed promise in iron sight shooting.

need to re shoot the first load(50.3). the second spread a bit.....still some vert stringing(50.9). tried the set screws again. the third(51.5) ...welll at one point i had 5 in .5".....put 2 high and foolishly put one to the right(all me) . fourth load was all over the target(52.1)

so the real question here ..has anyone else shot one of these mounts ??
the vertical stringing is actually more than what i do with iron sights!.....but the left to right in most loads were right around onr inch...much better than me with iron sights.

StarMetal
08-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Mike

What kind of scope mount are you using?

Joe

mike in co
08-14-2005, 08:05 PM
the same mount with a weaver 4x( our mil sniper match allows up to a 4x, shot at 200yds)....

mike in co
08-19-2005, 09:19 AM
ok guys....here is what i see with the darrell mounts...
on a swiss k-31 the front and rear ( not the side ) set screws set on very solid metal..the regular rear leaf base.
on the m39 the rear screw is on solid metal, BUT the front screw is on the band that retains the upper handguard. the distance from the frt screw to the mounting pin(the leaf mounting pin) is very short. this means any movement at the front screw is magnified because mounting of the scope is behind the pin. i believe the front band flexes....allowing scope movement.
i put five shots in about 1/2 inch and then promptly put a round 6 inches low (100 yds, with a proven load). please note these shots were all very well aligned left to right, but two shots were 1.5 high, then 5 in 1/2" then the last shot goes 6 inches low.... all the shooting i did with this mount had vertical stringing.....
i'm listening...any ideas ???

Finn45
08-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Hi, I was going to reply earlier suggesting the same flexing as a very potential possibility to cause problems. Front screw doesn't feel very reliable during installation and I wondered it a bit. Rock solid? The rear screw won't tighten actually at all because of it... I can imagine that with stouter loads or in the long run this will flex IF side screws won't hold the piece in place real good. I probably over tightened the side screws and I have to be careful when taking it off some day. If someone won't mind more permanent fitting with "evidence marks", it could be better to arrange real fitting for the rear screw position, maybe it's doable inside the rear sight with soldered bracket or something. Also another front screw more to the front above the barrel would be better, but it needs a hole through the fore wood. Maybe also bigger screw. Will see, but anyway it would be good to use lightest scope around with this as is.

mike in co
08-21-2005, 03:12 PM
this is no slam on the darrel mounts...more of its limitations.
i have a 4x weaver mounted as far back as posible, so lots of vertical torque.
i removed my mount. the front wood retaining band was pushed in. and the rear screw was "machined" flat....do to rotating around the rear base screw hole in the original base cutting the brass as i would turn the screw. all of this left me with vertical stringing.......my swiss is still fine....and have not tried my m91/30.
wiht finn's scope mounted forward he may not have the same problems.