PDA

View Full Version : Autumn harvest

JeffinNZ
05-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Well, autumn is here so yesterday I dug the spuds and harvested the pumpkins. Not a bad haul really:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Other%20stuff/Harvest_zpse5cacdae.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Other%20stuff/Harvest_zpse5cacdae.jpg.html)

Abby was good enough to grade the spuds into small, medium and large.

oldarkie
05-05-2013, 08:19 AM
nice haul jeff,can't beat home grown.thought someone was joking about fall till i saw your location.

btroj
05-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Jeff, that is a spring harvest. we can't help the fact your side of the world is backwards.......

Looks like a good haul. I love a good spud.

Jim
05-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Spuds? What spuds? All I see is a VERY cute little girl!! :bigsmyl2:

Gar
05-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Nice crop Jeff, how do you store your taters, root cellar?

RoyEllis
05-05-2013, 09:32 AM
A totally adorable child, I'm willing to bet she inherited her looks completely from her mother though!:kidding:

reloader28
05-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Looks like a good haul.
I started working up the garden yesterday. After canning and eating all winter, we still have 75-100lbs of potatoes in the root cellar from last year.
We dug over 400lbs of taters out from our garden last fall.
We only got a couple small watermelons and pumpkins but our spaghetti and buttercup (or butternut) squash went crazy. MMMMM MMMM good.

kenyerian
05-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Well done Jeff. Looks like you are ready for winter.

km101
05-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Good crop! That will be some good eatin' this winter. And that's a fine looking helper your have there!

MtGun44
05-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Nice to grow your own. They just taste better. Good crop, too.

I'll bet the girls liked a chance to dig in the dirt for a good reason.

You're in harvest time and we haven't really got spring off to a good
start yet. Been about the coldest spring I can ever remember.

Bill

41 mag fan
05-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Nothing better than fresh taters from the garden!!

JeffinNZ
05-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Nice crop Jeff, how do you store your taters, root cellar?

Not really. Just box them up or in sacks and keep them cool and dark.

jeepyj
05-05-2013, 06:19 PM
I also had to do a double take on the post then I looked at your location. Abby looks like a wonderful helper! Enjoy those moments they go by too quick.
Jeepyj

Driver man
05-05-2013, 07:15 PM
The days are starting to cool here also and I will pick the last of the tomatoes today. Its been a bumper crop this year. Spuds i will dig up after the first frost, by the feel of the temps today that might be soon, down to 15C (60F)

JeffinNZ
05-05-2013, 11:19 PM
I agree Driver man - bumper crop. I planted Red Kings IIRC (my late father used to plant them) and was in fear that the dry summer would have knocked them around. When I mounded up I covered with a goodly layer of pea straw and that held the moisture in. Digging over the soil the straw is 98% gone and rotted in and the soil is wonderful. Well, it WAS wonderful on Saturday but with the rain of the last 12 hours it might be a bog now.

km101
05-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Rain? What is this rain you speak of??

Well actually we have had some rain showers this spring, but the next day or two we get 30+ mph winds for several days and the moisture is all gone! Looks like another dry summer.

x101airborne
05-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Rain? What is this rain you speak of??

Well actually we have had some rain showers this spring, but the next day or two we get 30+ mph winds for several days and the moisture is all gone! Looks like another dry summer.

Brother, you aint just whistlin Dixie, either. Where did all our spring rains go? It seems like after the flood of 98, they have gotten less and less each year.

Jeff, that is a fine harvest. For us, taters are nearly a winter crop. The heat in the soil really rots em out. We are picking zucchini squash, and tomatoes right now. Our early crop of green beans was ok, not great. This is the first year we have had earthworms in our garden, so our soil is definately looking up. Now if I can just get my avocado tree to survive the first year in the dirt, that would be great.

sparkz
05-06-2013, 01:34 PM
WELL DONE!!! Jeff Great Hual,, We up on the Top of the world still wait I have only just in past few weeks planted out Spuds, but We can only hope for a Hual like your Down Under hual,,

Great Job, and I see you also have some helper there great job teach your kids to do it on there own,
to many kids dont know how to do simple things that can an do build bonds and put bounty on the table,,

Again Great Job, and better job with the kids helping

God Bless you and yours

Patrick & Sean Campbell
Lost Creek, Kentucky, USA

Blacksmith
05-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Around here in the fall we do 'Punkin Chunkin. Here is a link in case you never heard of it. It is all about how far one can hurl a pumpkin.
http://www.punkinchunkin.com/

Hickory
05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Butternut squash is good stuff.
You call them pumpkins downunder.

JeffinNZ
05-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Butternut squash is good stuff.
You call them pumpkins downunder.

Nope, they are Butternut here. In the wheelbarrow also you will see grey pumpkins. Crown they are called here.

TXGunNut
05-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Looks great, even better getting the next generation involved. My garden is off to a good start but the bugs are hungry and the weeds are off to a great start as well. Guess I better get the mulch spread.

runfiverun
05-06-2013, 10:07 PM
that's over 150 pounds of potatoes there.
dibs on the little ones.
i'm tired of 2 pound ones, I can't eat nothing else on the plate.

country gent
05-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Your post brings back memories. When we dug potatos Mom would save all the small ones thumb sized to just a little bigger out. Wash these and fry in butter with skins on till crispy out side. A little salt and you were good to go. A meatloaf or roast to go with them. Now the meat and fried foods arnt good for you, but were they comforting after a days work.Also would get them with eggs and bacon for breakfast if there were enough.

JeffinNZ
05-06-2013, 10:56 PM
They would be 'gourmet' potatoes. That's what they are called here now. The little ones charged at a premium. My dad used to call them 'tiddlers' and throw them away. LOL.

runfiverun
05-07-2013, 12:59 AM
they call the thumb sizes ones here one drops.
they are used as seed potatoes.
it's what is mainly grown in the surrounding area.
they sell the seed potatoes to other places in the state and to maine to grow the table potatoes.
I go and buy a 50 lb bag from the farms for around 8 bucks and if I am not careful they put an extra sack in the truck.

bruce drake
05-07-2013, 01:42 AM
Jeff,
Keep raising those girls and those taters in the right way!
Bruce

JeffinNZ
05-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Jeff,
Keep raising those girls and those taters in the right way!
Bruce

You want me to plant the girls? You been sniffing the company ammo before you retire? :-)

bruce drake
05-07-2013, 03:02 PM
They will grow big and strong if you water them every once in a while ;)

markshere2
05-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Cognito, ergo spud!

I think, therefore I Yam.