PDA

View Full Version : Lee 230 5r and NOE 247 Whisper help needed

lksmith
05-04-2013, 10:53 PM
I have both of the above mentioned molds in an effort to make an affordable subsonic plinking load for my 300AAC/Whisper.
The issue I am having with both is I can't seem to get pretty booleits from either. I either get frosted boolits or ones with what I call cast channels where the lead was solidifying before the mold was full.
Accuracy seems pretty good either way since I cull any that aren't in the range I think is right weighed without lube or GC.
I use a Lee 20# bottom pour furnace. I let the mold sit on top of the pot while the lead is melting to make sure the mold is hot enough and let it cool. I have tried both sprue plate up and sprue plate down, thinking the sprue plate being too cool may have caused the problem. I have also tried pressure casting by putting the spout on the plate for a few seconds and then forming a puddle. I have used wheel weights and pure lead with the same channels showing up.
I have casted Lee 170 FN GC's with no channels or frosting with the same alloy from the same batch and got beautiful boolits.

frkelly74
05-04-2013, 11:16 PM
I heat my mold and then cast some without the sprue closed just to get the mold temperature normalized . I can get the boolits still connected to the uncut sprue out quick and the temperature comes up until I get good boolits . then I close the sprue and cast away. I have a lee 230 mold.

blikseme300
05-05-2013, 12:19 AM
I have the Lee 230 as well and use it often. Frosted boolits are not a problem so I would say that the mold is too cold. Often these long boolits are picky in that you need to pour into the center of the sprue opening without touching the sides.

casca
05-05-2013, 12:58 AM
I have an old hot plate pluged in next to caster, leave mold lay on hotplate when ever i stop a minute to do something else in the area. have to get that mold as hot as the lead comming out. When I need to cast big bullets I set the mold on hot plate before pouring next bullet.

casca

Liberty'sSon
05-05-2013, 01:12 AM
If you decide to sell either mold, shoot me a pm.

lksmith
05-05-2013, 10:04 PM
I have the Lee 230 as well and use it often. Frosted boolits are not a problem so I would say that the mold is too cold. Often these long boolits are picky in that you need to pour into the center of the sprue opening without touching the sides.

I get frosted bullets with that one, and have shot them but I'm trying to get the purty shiney ones without,wrinkles, frosting, or channels to use for hunting

blikseme300
05-06-2013, 02:06 PM
I get frosted bullets with that one, and have shot them but I'm trying to get the purty shiney ones without,wrinkles, frosting, or channels to use for hunting

After loading shine the boolits up with a rag. The frosting matters not and I have had no hogs complaining as they were dead.

lksmith
05-06-2013, 07:25 PM
I have only shot 2 animals (other than head shots) with cast boolits and they were in a trap running around. I have always heard that frosted boolits are brittle and will either not expand or fragment too much. and I haven't been able to recoveror capture any boolits from a rifle