PDA

View Full Version : Colt Army Special 32 WCF

TXGunNut
05-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Dozed off at an estate auction today and woke up the proud owner of a nice old Colt Army Special in 32 WCF. :wink: Didn't know what cartridge it was chambered for until I picked it up at the checkout table. Didn't even know the correct model name until I got home to my books and Wikipedia. I bought it mostly for an early DA revolver example gun, didn't have any intention of actually shooting it. I also like that it was likely a police duty weapon during the 20's and 30's, possibly even later.
Paid way too much for it-$375-but there's something I like about it.
Turns out it's a pretty cool cartridge, may turn out to be more than eye candy after all.

timspawn
05-04-2013, 10:57 PM
I bought one Thursday in 38 Spl. They are well made old guns.

rintinglen
05-05-2013, 12:36 PM
I paid that for a 38 Special. I'd say you made out if the gun is not worn to a frazzle. Some of those Texas Shooting Irons are pretty rough. However, no pictures, no proof.

MtGun44
05-05-2013, 01:33 PM
My one memory about a friend's old Colt .32-20 was that it was really
LOUD! I was about 15 or 16 and shot it about 3-4 round worth.

Colts were quite nicely made, but the design lends itself to timing
issues and end shake. Hope it is in good shape. When right, they
are really nice guns. PITA to smith on, tho.

Bill

Char-Gar
05-05-2013, 01:57 PM
So, a guy goes to an auction and bids on a revolver without knowing the caliber or model? I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that, but I don't understand macro-economics either.

Probably not a police weapon as 32-20 was not favored for that use. Guys with 32-20 rifles bought these as companion pieces.

Colt changed the model name from Army Special to Official Police in 1927, but it was the same revolver.

Guesser
05-05-2013, 02:29 PM
I have two 6" AS in 32-20; 1919 and 1922, fine shooters except that my 1919 gun is too fine to carry afield, it spends it's life being revered for being "too fine". I love the guns and the cartridge. I have 5 colts in the chambering. 1907 to 1925 in 4 different models.

nicholst55
05-05-2013, 03:28 PM
I can't find a picture of mine, but it began life as a 6" blued version. When I bought it for next to nothing, it had two bulges in the pitted bore, the frame was bent, one grip was chipped, and the beautiful bluing was a thing of the past. I had a like-new 5" barrel installed, the frame straightened, and of course, reblued. It's a shadow of it's original self now, but it's fun to shoot anyway. I need to buy a better example one of these days.

TXGunNut
05-05-2013, 09:03 PM
My one memory about a friend's old Colt .32-20 was that it was really
LOUD! I was about 15 or 16 and shot it about 3-4 round worth.

Colts were quite nicely made, but the design lends itself to timing
issues and end shake. Hope it is in good shape. When right, they
are really nice guns. PITA to smith on, tho.

Bill

I know next to nothing about Colt actions but I muddled thru anyway. Not much end shake, stretched the hand a bit to help with timing. Ratchet is a bit worn and has been worked at least once. Cleaned up nicely and timing is now acceptable, Big Brown Truck is bringing me some shiny bits to build some ammo. RCBS cowboy dies, Lee 2-cav 90gr .314 mould, WW brass, Lee sizer and trimmer......ALL IN STOCK! Beats the heck out of $40/50 for factory loads!
Warned you, she ain't purty.

TXGunNut
05-05-2013, 09:11 PM
So, a guy goes to an auction and bids on a revolver without knowing the caliber or model? I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that, but I don't understand macro-economics either.-Char-Gar

I had a hard time with it too but I've always wanted an early Colt DA revolver. I've missed a few 1917's, passed on a few others. I hadn't planned on bidding on it so I didn't check it out that closely. The rifle I wanted to buy got bid way above what I felt it was worth, then some guy tried to steal this one for about $200 and I felt that was too cheap. I quite honestly felt it was worth more but that's a moot point now.

Clay M
05-05-2013, 09:17 PM
I use to have a 5" .32-30 Army Special.One of the guns I lament selling.It was extremely accurate and had a perfect bore.I can't remember the load I used ,or the bullet mould. Seems like it was a Lyman mould. Anyway if you get tired of it let me know..

Guesser
05-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Ideal 3118 is the perfect projectile for the chambering, duplicates the original Winchester bullet from the mold that came with the 1873's. Works great in Colts!!!

Clay M
05-06-2013, 09:06 AM
When I think back,I believe the only mould I had for the .32-20 was the RCBS semi wadcutter.I can look and try to find the load,but I know I was getting cloverleaf groups with the gun.If your barrel is in good condition,the gun is capable of amazing accuracy.I love the old Colts.They shoot great.

TXGunNut
05-06-2013, 09:42 PM
I went the cheap (and available!) route on moulds but I like Lee's TL boolits. The bore looks a little odd but I wouldn't be surprised if it shoots OK. I'll never get "amazing accuracy" from those tiny sights and my eyeballs but I'm just looking for a fun gun and an example piece. I'd like a GG mould eventually because this little gun is born to shoot Holy Black, IMHO.

Clay M
05-07-2013, 08:09 AM
That was over twenty years ago when I could see . I like the .32-20 and I plan on getting another Army Special someday.
The .32-20 and .38-40 are two of my favorite old cartridges . I have gotten great accuracy from both.

TXGunNut
05-07-2013, 10:55 PM
38-40 sounds like my idea of a good time as well. Guess I better not doze off while visiting the Cimmaron website.