PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying a turret press

alrighty
05-04-2013, 08:12 PM
I found this press today at the local gun show.I don't recognize the maker and don't see any identifying marks.It is of very good quality but it almost looks to be made by a machinist.No casting anywhere , everything was surface ground.It even appears the sharp edges were radioused with a file.
The press did have a tag that looks to be recently removed , you can still see the dirt lines in the front with two small rivet holes.
I looked at it for a while but was turned off by the $80.00 price tag.I of course stopped again and I made an offer of $60.00 that the young man accepted.
The linkages are held on by normal cap screws with brass bushings.I would guess a common pin or a shoulder bolt would have been used if was mass produced.The press seems very sturdy and the four hole turret is held in index with a small spring and ball detent.It uses standard RCBS style shell holders and uses standard die sets.
The handle is the wild card ,it would be very hard to make the compound bend without specialized tools , not to mention the molded plastic grip.
While the press is nice and tight , the lower has enough play to allow the shell to float to help with alignment.
The design does look very similar to my Lyman All American.
Since I also picked up a good shooter grade S&W model 15-3 ,I am thinking I shall try some .38 special wad cutters on it's maiden voyage.If anyone would like more pics just ask.It came bolted to the wooden base plate and I will pull it off when I start the cleanup.
Any Idea's?

salpal48
05-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Very nice looking machine. and similar to Lyman AA . The thread for the primer post might fit a post like hollywood or CH. looks very professionally well done . That would be shown by the possible name plate. Also looks similar to a texan. The bent handle will also clear the Turret . Possible 1960"s You should post it on the ARTCA Forum. under UnknownTools. A lot of good Info there.

alrighty
05-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Very nice looking machine. and similar to Lyman AA . The thread for the primer post might fit a post like hollywood or CH. looks very professionally well done . That would be shown by the possible name plate. Also looks similar to a texan. The bent handle will also clear the Turret . Possible 1960"s You should post it on the ARTCA Forum. under UnknownTools. A lot of good Info there.
When I first noticed it I thought that it was possibly a texan.I need to check the thread size to see if I can find a working primer post setup.
I joined the ARTCA forum a while back after I had purchased a large lot of Belding and Mull reloading dies and three presses.I still have yet to post but I have found lots of good information.
I just like the older tools and presses , I still use my Herters #3 press.

Pressman
05-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Nice press. Very well done. Probably 1960's. I am going to say homemade, but homemade can cover a wide area. In this case it probably means made in a small shop. Which raises the question if it is shop made are there more than one, and if there is more than one are they exactly alike or all different.
did the gunshow seller have any idea where he got it?

Ken

alrighty
05-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Nice press. Very well done. Probably 1960's. I am going to say homemade, but homemade can cover a wide area. In this case it probably means made in a small shop. Which raises the question if it is shop made are there more than one, and if there is more than one are they exactly alike or all different.
did the gunshow seller have any idea where he got it?

Ken
The seller could not tell me anything about it when I asked.All of the items he had looked to be from an estate sale.The seller was young , I am guessing early 20's.
He honestly looked uncomfortable at a gun show.I think it was made from a recently passed relative of his and they pulled the name tag off.You can clearly see that it was removed very recently.You can also see where it was recently greased.The press almost has a kit like look to it.I have never heard of buying a press you assembled , but I guess it could be possible.
All of his items were used but not abused, not much reloading equip.Only a couple of sets of dies on his table.The die sets were RCBS dating to the early 80's.
I am going to return and see if I can do some more investigating.I would like to know more about the history of the press.Perhaps I will find that his Grandfather owned a machine shop back east.
There was a heavy immigration of retiree's around the Barkley / Kentucky lake area where I live.

LUBEDUDE
05-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Nice gem you have there. I concur with the other gentlemen.

Thanks for the press show!