PDA

View Full Version : Schofield

chickenstripe
05-04-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm sure that someone here has some experience with one of these.
Can you give me the good, bad and ugly regarding these? What to be concerned with with a used purchase, accuracy, function, grip angle, balance, calibers to avoid, etc.

Wolfer
05-04-2013, 09:01 PM
I too would be interested in this. A friend of mine has a Navy Arms replica in 45 colt. Though it's beyond my conception it's never been fired. Feels great in my hand though but I'd be hesitant to run my 45 colt loads thru it. I think I'd like one in its original chambering.

chickenstripe
05-05-2013, 04:38 PM
I really think it's a "visually appealing" design. However, in addition to pistols, I find alot of auctions for parts, which leads me to be concerned about the durability. Not looking for it to be used for barn-burner loads, as the top eject style prohibits this.

I'll Make Mine
05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
You see a lot of parts auctions because the original Schofield revolvers are 120+ years old, and a lot of them were badly corroded by shooting black powder and not being correctly cleaned. When loaded correctly (black powder only) and cleaned, the Schofield is a good revolver and the round has adequate power (yes, it's weaker than .45 Colt, but it's still a heavier bullet at similar velocity to the original .38 Special). If it's in good shape, it may shoot pretty well.

If you're getting an original, it'd be strongly recommended to have a gunsmith look it over before purchase, else you'll be selling some parts yourself if you find it's badly corroded. If getting a repro, it's a new gun on an old design -- I'd stay away from the hotter modern cartridges, but if it's chambered in a round originally made for black powder, you can probably shoot it for decades with black powder loads.

prs
05-06-2013, 03:36 PM
The internal workings are more complex than an SA. I suppose you are dealing with a replica or one of small runs S&W did a few years back (still a replica IMHO). The replicas are most often found in 45 Colt and not 45 S&W. I think one importer had them in 44/40 (Uberti?) That change led the makers to drop the fouling seal on the front of the cylinders, thus, regrettably, they tend to foul-out quickly with real BP loads. They are great shooters with nice balance and way easy to reload. Have fun.

prs

Wayne Smith
05-07-2013, 10:48 PM
What specifically do you want to know? I have the 2000 model and it is a very accurate shooter in 45 S&W. The originals have very thin cylinder walls and are BP only, assuming one is safe to shoot. Uberti replicas have a good reputation but are made in 45 Colt and 44-40. 45 S&W is the original cartridge.

hightime
05-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Mine is not a Scofield, but it's a replica made by Uberti under the Beretta Laramie name. A reproduction of a 1878 Smith and Wesson New Model Three Target, also a top break. I shoot it a lot, it's a 45 Colt. It seems to be more accurate than my Colt SA, better sights anyway.

Marvin S
05-10-2013, 08:26 PM
I hear not to get one chambered for the longer cartridges as they dont eject well.

mtnman31
05-10-2013, 08:57 PM
I've lusted for a while over the Russian model 3 that Uberti has. I suppose if one came up for sale locally, I'd be compelled to pick it up.

nwellons
05-12-2013, 08:04 AM
I've got the Uberti Russian and a 1890 Tula (Russia) copy of the S&W Model 3.
I have shot the Uberti 4 or 5 times now, with BP only. It does tend to foul to the point where the cylinder won't turn by about 30 - 40 shots.

My experience is Uberti doesn't run lines that sell slowly very often. I was on the e-mail notification list at 2 dealers and waited about 18 months before one came in. And only one came in between the two dealers. I quickly grabbed it.