PDA

View Full Version : Two alloy questions!

JWFilips
05-04-2013, 06:00 PM
If I'm running an alloy of 50/ 50 by weight, of Pure lead and COWW ( + some extra tin)....what is a good percentage of tin I should be trying for? (I'm using this forum's calculator for my mixes)

Also I know after casting ( with above alloy) dropping air cooled ....the boolits will age soften. What is the average wait time until they come close to stabilizing til they can be loaded & shot?
Thank You

RickinTN
05-04-2013, 07:26 PM
The generally accepted amount of tin is approximately 2% of the weight of your clip-on weights. This will be close to matching the antimony content with the tin content. The pure you're adding doesn't have any antimony therefore no tin needed to match it. This will result in a "balanced" alloy.
I'm not sure of an answer to your second question. As far as I know you could load and shoot that or the next day. I'm sure there will be further information and discussion about this question.

Larry Gibson
05-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Add 2% tin the the COWWs and then mix that alloy at 50/50 with the lead. Wait 7 - 10 days (preferably 10 days) minimum before size, lube and using.

Larry Gibson

btroj
05-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Ideally I wait like Larry said. Sometimes reality happens and I size, lube, and shoot in a day or two. After a week or so they will be pretty well settled in.

cbrick
05-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Also I know after casting (with above alloy) dropping air cooled .... the boolits will age soften.

That's not correct, the boolits will be at their SOFTEST right after casting and will age harden (stabilize) within a couple of weeks. How much/fast depends on the percentages of Sb/Sn.

Rick

shadowcaster
05-05-2013, 10:37 PM
That's not correct, the boolits will be at their SOFTEST right after casting and will age harden (stabilize) within a couple of weeks. How much/fast depends on the percentages of Sb/Sn.

Rick

Your will boolits will age harden. Your WW's already have some tin in them, so you will have to find that sweet spot on how much to add. At tin's current price I strive for 1% or less. Your hardness will come from your antimony content.

Shad

rainyday
05-05-2013, 11:42 PM
I melt tin in a separate pot, then pour into a tablespoon, let cool and fill a container. then when I cast, I add 1 of those pieces of tin to my 20 pound pot. I know this is not a scientific way or a way im shure some will disagree with but it works for me and et no leading in target loads of 45 acp,38 spl and light 44 mag loads