PDA

View Full Version : Question about the cartrige size for my Little Dark Eyed Spanish Revolver

milsurpaddict
05-04-2013, 05:48 PM
I have a nice little revolver that says 32/20 on the barrel. I tried a 32/20 round in the all cylinders and it fits fine. I was wondering if a 8mm Lebel round is similar enough to a 32/20 round that they could both fit into the same cylinder? I am sorry if this is not the proper place for this question.

Thanks in advance.

texassako
05-04-2013, 09:17 PM
There is a pretty big difference between those, especially the bullet size. .312" vs .325+". Why are you wondering about the 8mm Lebel if it is not marked that way? It is practically unobtainable as ammo or proper components and the .32-20 is easy to find. If in doubt, always slug the bore and cast the chamber.

rintinglen
05-05-2013, 12:59 PM
DO NOT TRY AN 8 MM LEBEL ROUND--it will probably not chamber, and even should it happen, the boolit will be way over size for the bore.

Some of those Spanish 32-20's were junk the day they left the factory--they are not wine, they do no get better with time.

Usually, they are copies of a 3rd or 4th change S&W M&P, made from the cheapest, softest, easiest to work metal available. Have the gun examined by a reputable gun smith, and if it is shootable, stick with the 32-20 cowboy loads. In one that I examined, the pivot pin for the hammer was NOT tempered, but the hammer was. Normal cycling of the action had worn the pin so much that the hammer wobbled enough to catch the rear of the cylinder latch bar, jamming the hammer until you pushed the base of the hammer forward. A second one that I saw was very poorly timed, the bolt wobbled from side to side.