PDA

View Full Version : Ideal no 45 sizer

450 racer
05-04-2013, 03:58 PM
I just picked up a Ideal no45 lube sizer and a no55 powder measure my question is on the lube sizer what kind of lube should I use? I have read only soft lube unless I am using a heater and how do I pull the size die out? Thank you

DLCTEX
05-04-2013, 06:50 PM
I use lubes as hard as Lar's Carnuba Red in my 45 and in cool or cold weather I warm it up at the start with a hair dryer, with softer lubes such as NRA 50/50 it is not necessary except in very cold weather. Just a simple heat like a heat lamp in close proximity for an hour or less before sizing will let you run even hard lubes. The die is removed by removing the retaining nut and then place a spacer (I use the nose of pliers, or such) under the push rod and the lift bar will push the die up as the handle is raised. Then grasp the die and pull it out. This may be easy or not depending on the lube. Be sure the pressure is backed off before doing this or you will get a gush of lube. You can use the hollow sticks of lube or melt the lube and pour it in the reservoir, leaving a little more than an inch of room to reinsert the piston and screw it down. Both these last things will make a mess if not followed, I know.

If applying heat to the sizer, be sure to back off the pressure screw first to allow room for expansion. Failure to do so can crack the press or ooze lube where you don't want it.

jcwit
05-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I use fairly soft lubes, but in the winter I need to apply heat. Very simple, brooder lamp with a 100 watt bulb gives just the right amount of temp.

Just a note, on my 45's the die is held in place by a set screw, no nut.

450 racer
05-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Thank you I just found the sticky on the 45 in casting equipment guess I should look first this is my first press have been using the lee tumble lube ones I got the press and powder dump for 40 dollars it was a deal I could not pass up and it had a 358 die and a 416 top punch with it I am going to start cleaning all the old lube out tomorrow then start getting more dies and punch's for my molds

r1kk1
05-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Lar's Carnuba Red

Great Stuff!!!

take care,

r1kk1

BruceB
05-05-2013, 09:22 PM
My original #45 lasted for many years in colder temps. First I used it with the old black Lyman lube, and then with whatever came along.

I literally wore that machine out, although with more knowledge gained in later years, I probably could have rebuilt it quite easily.

My current three 4500s are doing fine; for lubes requiring heat, the 4500 is bolted down on a 4"x12" piece of 1/4" aluminum plate with an old clothes iron sitting on it behind the lube-sizer. A minimum heat setting does an admirable job of softening the lube, and the "heater" setup was FREE. (If the lube gets too "loose", just uplug the iron for a while.)

tward
05-05-2013, 10:58 PM
With my 45 I wrap some aluminum foil around the press and my shop light, give it about 20-30 minutes and it is good to go. I find a little heat makes sizing a whole lot easier,even with BAC.
Tim