PDA

View Full Version : 6mm JDJ #2

Coonazz
05-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Hello all!
Need some help in finding some recent load data for my 6mm JDJ #2 Contender. Have been browsing the web for the last couple of days to no avail. The only data that I have for her is from Handloader #197. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
John

Kraschenbirn
05-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Is your "6MM JDJ #2" formed from .307 Win. cases? If so, what you've got is, essentially, a rimmed .243 Win. While I've never shot/reloaded the 6mm version, I did shoot a 7mm JDJ #2 for IHMSA silhouettes and found the cartridge extremely accurate. Only downsides that I recall were short brass life and difficulty finding .307 Win cases. (The only rifle ever chambered for the .307 was the long-out-of-production Win. 94 XTR 'Big Bore' and Winchester only produces short runs of the brass on a 'seasonal' basis.)

For load data, I'd recommend contacting SSK Industries ( http://sskindustries.com/ ) to see what they can provide. When I checked, I noticed that they no longer catalogue any of the old 'JDJ #2' rounds but they still might be willing to provide info.

FWIW: When I received my 7mm JDJ #2, the load data that came with it was a Xerox copy of someone's (Ol' J.D. himself, maybe?) handwritten range notes and chronograph numbers. Brass life, using the provided STARTING LOADS, was only 3 or 4 reloads and cases needed to be trimmed every other resizing. Backing the 'recommended' loads off another 10% and working back up 1/2 grain at a time improved both brass life and accuracy while dropping MV only 100-120 fps.

Bill

Coonazz
05-06-2013, 11:44 PM
6 JDJ is formed from 225 Win. Simple neck up and fire form.
Going to SSK was my first stop...their data is older than what I have! Was hoping to find data a little more current for the new powders and bullets available now as compared to when I purchased this barrel in 95 or 96.
Thanks for your input,
John

leadman
05-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Might ask on Speciality Pistols website.

TCTex
05-12-2013, 02:40 PM
If I remember right, the 6.5 JDJ is off the 225 and the 6.5 JDJ#2 is based of the 307.

I think your advice of going over Handgunhunt or specialty pistols and asking questions was a good one!

Send an email to JDJ. He has done very well responding to my questions.

Coonazz
05-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the advice. Will give it a try.