PDA

View Full Version : Thought I had a good source of lead and tin

hickfu
05-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Found a guy locally that has hundreds of lbs of Lead (he says from wheel weights from the 70's) but he wants $2.00 a lb :evil: He also has 50/50 solder that was given to him way back then that he cast into ingots as well and he wants $4.00 a lb (thats $8.00 a pound for the tin in it)

Some people think that they have gold.... I have never paid more then $1.25 for Wheel weight ingots

edit: ok I figured out that buying at $1.25 plus shipping comes out to around $1.50 so maybe I will go by and see what he has and offer 1.50 per pound.

Doc

odinohi
05-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Offer to drive him to the scrapyard where they will pay him .50 lb

hickfu
05-04-2013, 03:15 AM
Unfortunately he is an old boolit caster and he said that he has seen prices on ebay skyrocket. I was thinking about going over to see what he has and then offer 1.25 if I like what he has. Of course I would bring my Lee bhn tester since I really dont trust people when they make ingots (of course I would trust people here that make alloy) but I have been burned before.

Doc

zomby woof
05-05-2013, 09:36 PM
70's WW alloy is great, better than today's. I bought an old timer's stash from him he said was 70's WW's. It cast's fantastic. I air cool everything now. Shoots much better than today's WW.

ssnow
05-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Sometimes you run across a deal, and sometimes.....well, you know :) I suppose it can't hurt to make him an offer, just don't expect much from someone who has their mind made up. Keep up the hunt, you'll find some more. One never knows what will turn up.

imashooter2
05-06-2013, 06:38 AM
If he wants eBay prices then tell him he needs to pay eBay fees and hassle with the shipping. Or he can sell it to you at whatever you set your price at. Sometimes we can't reach a deal and we have to walk away.

Might be worth noting that if you get $2 a pound on eBay, selling in 50 pound lots and shipping USPS flat rate, you'll only net $1.50 a pound. And I don't see any of those $2 a pound buy it now ads selling. Auctions for WW scrap are still going just over a dollar a pound.

Pmc
05-06-2013, 09:29 AM
He's not forcing anyone to buy it. Good for him.

Case Stuffer
05-06-2013, 09:41 AM
IMO his prices are very reasonable. I have purchased CCWW in ingots from memebers here and $1.50 is about bottom price and as others posted the quality does not match seventies era . If I found such a local source I would purchase all he had and county myself lucky.

BubbaJon
05-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Hey Doc - that plumber's solder is about 1/4 what most people sell it for. Sucks but there it is...
I'm with you on offering less - I'd start at $1 and y'all "settle" on $1.50.
As always sometimes you just have to walk away but $2 for old lead sounds pretty good for California if it tests out.

hickfu
05-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Well I just may have to go see the guy with my hardness tester to see how it checks out bhn wise. I also want to see exactly what he has so I can calculate what I may offer.

Doc