PDA

View Full Version : Mac & Cheese Pantry Potluck

TXGunNut
05-03-2013, 09:27 PM
All I knew driving home tonight was I was hungry and didn't feel like spending a lot of time cooking. Mac & cheese was on my mind so I grabbed a box of mac & cheese and looked around for something to go with it. In a few minutes I was headed for the kitchen with two boxes of m&c, two cans of tuna, one can of sweet peas and a can of hot Rotel. Prepared the m&c according to directions, reduced the heat, drained & added the tuna and peas, dumped in the Rotel and tossed in a big handful of shredded fiesta blend cheese and a bit of garlic. My mom calls concoctions like this "stir & dump recipes", I kinda like the way this one turned out.
Pretty sure it's nothing original, anyone else have any pantry raid adventures lately?

SciFiJim
05-04-2013, 03:05 AM
I do things like that all the time with leftovers. I usually use beef Rice-A-Roni. Any leftover meats chopped small, a can of stewed tomatoes, extra spices, maybe some cheese if I feel like shredding some, and anything else that might look like it would be good. It doesn't have a name, I just say I am having leftovers. In the past, I have added the remains of a can of chili, or some chopped onions, or a handful of pecan pieces. It is very flexible and tasty.

Lloyd Smale
05-04-2013, 07:29 AM
with the boxed mac and cheese try adding 4 scambled eggs and a 1/2 a lb of bacon. With homeaid mac and cheese i usually add dryed chip beef or bacon and a can of corn when i cook it. Home made left over mac and cheese is real good if you deep fry it. Just make it into small globs and dip in your favorite batter and fry till browned.

DHurtig
05-04-2013, 08:36 AM
For a quick and easy supper, we take sausage, ( Hillshire Farms or whatever you like ) A bag of those vegetables with sauce in the steamer bags, some pasta, a handful of cheese and maybe some croutons or bread crumbs and heat it all up in the skillet. Pretty good eats in a hurry. Dale

Trey45
05-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Brown some hamburger with green peppers and onions, season it however you like it. I like garlic salt and celery salt with some cayenne. Drain completely when burger is done and onions just begin to wilt. Add to a stock pot along with a big can of Bush's baked beans, squirt in some maple syrup and hot sauce. add a can of corn, or peas, or string beans, or tomatoes, or all of the above, it doesn't really matter, it's all good. Bring to a slow boil while stirring.Simmer and season to taste. Will feed a family of 4, or one really hungry full grown man.
A twist on the recipe:
I have drained off all the excess liquid from the stock pot and packed a casserole dish with the burger/bean concoction, sprinkled the top with grated cheese (your choice, I used parmesian) and baked at 400 degrees until the cheese formed a crust.