PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Dies and Lubricant Placement

cruisor
05-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Hope this makes sense. If I want to lubricate just one groove on a bullet I would push the bullet in just far enough into the die to do the job.

However with the Lyman and RCBS dies there could be multiple rows of holes. I remember the Star dies could be plugged with lead shot. Would you do the same thing with these dies?

Is there another technique to accomplish this?

I'm just getting started again after a long hiatus from casting. Gotta admit that I really excited to get back into casting and shooting lead boolets again.

Thanks,

Lee

GaryN
05-03-2013, 08:53 PM
I've never done it myself but yes I would just use lead shot. That way you could remove it when you want all the holes to work.

Mk42gunner
05-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Both the Lyman and RCBS sizers have a depth adjustment that should prevent a boolit from entering the die too far. It will probably take a bit of trial and error to get it right.

Robert

cruisor
05-04-2013, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I can see that this will not be a big deal when the time comes. I just paid off my pistol so am anxious to cast some 38 wadcutters for it.

Lee

runfiverun
05-04-2013, 11:50 AM
try some solder off a roll to plug the lyman holes.

leadman
05-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I have plugged holes in sizing dies with lead shot. I did have a couple fall out of the holes so wrapped a piece of wire around the die.

MtGun44
05-04-2013, 03:57 PM
RCBS dies have only one row of holes.
Plugging only needed in Star dies.

Bill

cruisor
05-05-2013, 12:22 AM
I just ordered a RCBS sizing die so I reckon that my problems will be few and no plugs needed. However I'm getting ready to cast some 9mm bullets and it will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

Again thanks for your suggestions, it really helps make the whole process easier.

Regards,

Lee

MT Chambers
05-05-2013, 12:29 AM
The "stem" inside the Lyman/Rcbs dies prevents the flow of lube where you don't need it, you don't plug holes on these dies, it's kinda dumb as the "stem" or plunger is already blocking the lube.