PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 30-30 lever action

vmathias
05-03-2013, 04:52 PM
I was looking through a catalog today and found an advertisement for the Mossberg lever action. Looks like a sweet little gun. Does anyone have one of these and what experiences have you had with it? Accuracy, reliability etc...

quilbilly
05-03-2013, 11:39 PM
I have had mine for about three years. There are some aspects of it that some don't like such as the plastic barrel band and the multiple safeties that take a little getting used to but mine is a sweet shooter. It has loved every CB I have fed it from the 120 gr RNGC with Trail Boss to the 165's with 5744 powder. I can hit a bucket routinely with the open sights at almost 300 yards and pill bottles at 100 yards. I bought it as a cheap truck rifle and got lots more than I paid for. My only complaint is that there are no after-market accessories like a drop-in peep sight. My favorite load has been the Lee 160 gr RNGC with 16 gr of 5744. My wife likes the Trail Boss load with the 120 gr RNGC. I use a soft enough alloy that my cowboy action RCBS dies actually flatten the nose of each boolit so they are safe.

jmort
05-03-2013, 11:54 PM
"My only complaint is that there are no after-market accessories like a drop-in peep sight."

Thankfully you can get Skinner Sights

http://www.skinnersights.com/mossberg_464_11.html

quilbilly
05-04-2013, 12:00 AM
I like that winged sight. Thanks for the info. I will probably get it after I get back from NCBS.

jmort
05-04-2013, 12:04 AM
I like that one as well.

vmathias
05-04-2013, 12:21 AM
I have had mine for about three years. There are some aspects of it that some don't like such as the plastic barrel band and the multiple safeties that take a little getting used to but mine is a sweet shooter. It has loved every CB I have fed it from the 120 gr RNGC with Trail Boss to the 165's with 5744 powder. I can hit a bucket routinely with the open sights at almost 300 yards and pill bottles at 100 yards. I bought it as a cheap truck rifle and got lots more than I paid for. My only complaint is that there are no after-market accessories like a drop-in peep sight. My favorite load has been the Lee 160 gr RNGC with 16 gr of 5744. My wife likes the Trail Boss load with the 120 gr RNGC. I use a soft enough alloy that my cowboy action RCBS dies actually flatten the nose of each boolit so they are safe.

Take any animals with it?

quilbilly
05-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I have gotten several coyotes but in this state you have to choose your weapon to get a tag and I like the muzzleloading seasons for deer. If I ever switch back to modern, my Mossberg will be with me for the local black tail deer. I did a terminal ballistics test on my 160 boolit and even though my load only does about 1580 fps, it still gets 17 inches of penetration in wet phone books at 40 yards. More than adequate for deer with the kind of accuracy that rifle produces out to 125 yards. I hunt elk with modern rifles but the Mossberg would definitely not be my first choice unless I draw a calf tag (actually a cow tag but a calf is easier to get out). I have especially enjoyed that rifle at the Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot where it has even given a good accounting at the 400 yard iron sights competition.

vmathias
05-05-2013, 01:49 PM
I have gotten several coyotes but in this state you have to choose your weapon to get a tag and I like the muzzleloading seasons for deer. If I ever switch back to modern, my Mossberg will be with me for the local black tail deer. I did a terminal ballistics test on my 160 boolit and even though my load only does about 1580 fps, it still gets 17 inches of penetration in wet phone books at 40 yards. More than adequate for deer with the kind of accuracy that rifle produces out to 125 yards. I hunt elk with modern rifles but the Mossberg would definitely not be my first choice unless I draw a calf tag (actually a cow tag but a calf is easier to get out). I have especially enjoyed that rifle at the Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot where it has even given a good accounting at the 400 yard iron sights competition.

I figured if i do get the Mossberg 30-30 I could at least reach out to 100 yards for deer and bear with the right velocity/bullet combinations.