PDA

View Full Version : Opening day of Turkey....

Doc_Stihl
05-03-2013, 03:33 PM
My wife and my cousin doubled up on a pair of fighting toms.
21.5lbs - 1 1/8th" spurs - 9.5" beard.

I was carrying my blind to the back field to setup for tomorrow morning....Left my gun in the car.

thekidd76
05-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Very nice! Tell them congrats. Hopefully you'll have your opportunity tomorrow.

bgoff_ak
05-03-2013, 03:43 PM
ok dumb question... but we don't have wild turkey in alaska, how is the meat. I have meat chickens and hens that we cull now and then and its way different then the stuff you buy over the counter ( way better ). that being said if I had to figure out how much I spent on salmon, moose and caribou i'd probably never go... but there is nothing like drinking a beer from gods refrigerator ( glacial stream ) looking at a view few others will see while not seeing another person ( or lights ) any where. that being said I have had many a hunt that was a long walk in the woods with a gun ( and nothing to show for it, but that’s half the fun )

white eagle
05-03-2013, 05:04 PM
meat is excellent
I usually deep fry the wild ones
breasts are about it legs are tough from running and hanging on @ night

4719dave
05-03-2013, 06:30 PM
congrats .nice birds

RugerFan
05-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Congrats! Those will eat good.

barkerwc4362
05-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Nice birds! Turkey season is over here in the deep south. Turkeys are impressive birds when they are trying convince the girls they are the one.

Bill

Hogdaddy
05-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Great Double Slam,, Got to love them fighting ya need a video ; )
H/D

35 Whelen
05-04-2013, 02:28 AM
Pat them on them back for me!

ok dumb question... but we don't have wild turkey in alaska, how is the meat.

It's very good. The breast is a little darker, and much more moist than that of a store-bought bird. I smoked the breast of the Tom I shot a few weeks ago and sliced it for sandwiches. Today I finished it off at lunch. Mmm.....so good!

35W

OnHoPr
05-10-2013, 06:06 AM
Couple of real nice birds there, congrats to both of them. Must of been a good show. I hope you get yours. A spring tom is the best tasting turkey I have ever had according to my palate.

Griz44mag
05-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Super nice pair of strutters. I could not hunt spring turkey this year because I filled all my tags last fall.
Wild Rio turkey is fabulous. Unless it's damaged, I also take the thighs, they can be boned out and butterflied, cut in strips and make some super nice deep fried turkey fingers.
I like to side slice the breasts, stuff with wild rice, butter and Parmesan cheese, bake covered, and serve with a light garlic herb drizzle.

That made me hungry, I'm going to go thaw out another breast for this weekend.