PDA

View Full Version : why not mount a RIFLE scope on a pistol?

Whiterabbit
05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Hear me out, then explain the fault in my logic.

I got a chance to play with the 2x leupold. I don't like it. Barely out of alignment, and I can't see out of the tube. It's not gonna work for hunting! So for all PRACTICAL shooting, I will be using a 1x, a red dot, or trying open sights again.

Now. Each of these presents challenges when load testing. They simply aren't as good as a scope with lots of zoom when the only purpose is to shoot the tightest possible group at 100 yards form a bench at the range.

So I can buy a pistol scope with lots of zoom, and spend the money on something that I'll never use after load development. OR, I could take a rifle scope I already own and put it on there. I did this exactly ONE time already with a 1-4x Nikon to prove my ultradot was wandering on me. Now instead of doing this with a 1-4, I could do this with a 2.5-10.

It will look ridiculous. The FOV is near unusable. the fishbowl will be extreme. eye has to be DEAD on to see anything. But for slow fire, at the bench, 15 minutes to shoot 5 rounds, then after the LOAD is proven, take off and go back to real sights. That's reasonable, yes?

These riflescopes are made to handle 338 lapuas, african cartridges, anything up to 50 BMG (maybe even including that too). for reduced recoil handgun use, shouldnt be a problem, yes? Even then, these companies that make good riflescopes have great warrantys. I buy my riflescopes new.

----------------

So! For the intended purpose I have described, understanding the limitations, and knowing it wont be used after I'm confident that most or all bad shooting is ME not the load, where is the flaw in my thinking? Is there any?

Thanks guys!

Tatume
05-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Hi Rabbit,

Yes, it will work. Skeeter Skelton used to do it all the time, and he hunted with his rifle-scoped Contender. His technique was to move his eye close enough to align the crosshairs and then back away from the scope carefully until he was far enough away that it wouldn't hit him in the face. Many people followed his lead, and the technique was popular in silhouette competition for awhile, until better scopes became available.

Take care, Tom

boltaction308
05-03-2013, 01:34 PM
In my experience, the biggest difference between rifle scopes and pistol scopes is eye relief, how far away your eye is from the scope to get proper view through the scope.

If you put a rifle scope on a pistol and hold it close enough to see through it properly, most likely you will end up with a black eye or worse.

jhalcott
05-03-2013, 01:43 PM
I see this all the time on Specialty Pistols Forums. Those guys shoot some real heavy artillery with rifle scoped "handguns"! I ,for one, have not had the nerve to try it. Any thing I wanted to shoot was doable with a Leupold 2.5x8x HANDGUN scope. Eastern groundhogs at 250+ yards, deer at 200+ have been taken from well rested handguns by me. I do think your idea is a sound one as long as you remember to back off before pulling the trigger.

7br
05-03-2013, 01:50 PM
This is still being used in IHMSA in the flop position. Also in field pistol where the recoil isn't a factor.

44man
05-03-2013, 01:57 PM
No recoil is the answer.
Would you shoot my .500 or .475 with a few inches of eye relief? Back off from the rifle scope and you see not much of anything.

Whiterabbit
05-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks guys :)

429421Cowboy
05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
They use the technique Tatume describes in the long range 500+ steel competition with rifle scopes on 6mm BR "handguns" (if only because they don't have a recoil pad). Find the target at normal eye relief, then back off it to normal shooting position so you don't get a face full of scope.

429421Cowboy
05-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Off of Berger's website http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHJF10/?page=70

Whiterabbit
05-03-2013, 02:42 PM
oh man, 116 pages, help me out, I didnt see anything in the table of contents about scopes Which article were you directing me to sir?

429421Cowboy
05-03-2013, 02:59 PM
When i click on the link the "1000 yards with a pistol" or something like that is the one that comes up, it is first dicussed in the second page of the article i believe, sorry!

Edit: i just looked at it again and read the caption on the photo of the MOA 6x47, it is wearing a 20x Burris!

44man
05-03-2013, 03:08 PM
The shooting with rifle scopes is different with how guns are held, some even have a wrist rest. They are single shot pistols. Many use the left hand on top of the scope as a hold.
Would they be more accurate then a pistol scope or red dot. No, but the holds are different. They try to get as close to a rifle as they can, the only thing missing is the stock.
I hate to say it but it is not real handgun shooting.

MT Chambers
05-03-2013, 03:31 PM
If i used a rifle scope on my .454 Casull, I'd spend the rest of the day trying to dig the scope out of my forehead.

429421Cowboy
05-03-2013, 04:07 PM
The shooting with rifle scopes is different with how guns are held, some even have a wrist rest. They are single shot pistols. Many use the left hand on top of the scope as a hold.
Would they be more accurate then a pistol scope or red dot. No, but the holds are different. They try to get as close to a rifle as they can, the only thing missing is the stock.

Agreed, it is a far cry from a reddot on a revolver or even a scoped Contender, nothing against anybody that is into that, i love the long range steel too but it is a different sport unto itself.

subsonic
05-03-2013, 05:18 PM
http://www.handgunhunt.com/promo/membership/features/readNewArticle.php?oid=12

Don't be surprised if the scope that is "rated for .50BMG" dies on a handgun.

Whiterabbit
05-03-2013, 05:21 PM
When i click on the link the "1000 yards with a pistol" or something like that is the one that comes up, it is first dicussed in the second page of the article i believe, sorry!

Edit: i just looked at it again and read the caption on the photo of the MOA 6x47, it is wearing a 20x Burris!

Thanks! Enlightening.

Subsonic, I've heard that too for cross-purpose mounting like a riflescope on an airgun. Important to keep in mind too. Thanks.

Tatume
05-03-2013, 07:45 PM

I like guns. I like revolvers with short barrels, revolvers with long barrels, single shot handguns with long barrels, etc. etc., etc. They're are all "real" handguns and shooting them is real handgun shooting. I like guns and gunners, and you're all fine by me.

Have gun, Tom (oops, meant to say Have fun)

44man
05-05-2013, 01:42 PM
I also like all guns, any guns. What stops me a lot is needing to spend money for specialty stuff.
I will confess that I have been on a deer stand and felt like I wanted a rifle stock on my revolver! [smilie=s:
But then poking it out at a deer to get a good hit takes those thoughts away.

rlb
05-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Just remember that the rifle scope is going to change the recoil characteristics of your firearm and when removed it will change again so that great load you just worked up may be junk after the scope is removed.