PDA

View Full Version : Shooting 22 shorts in a long rifle only Barrel

44minimum
09-08-2007, 08:28 PM
I've got a little Taurus pump 22 that is chambered for 22 long rifle only. Will it hurt anything if I try to shoot a 22 short or colibri's in it? Or will it just give iffy extraction?

mooman76
09-08-2007, 08:43 PM
It should extract fine. Usually it doesn't feed well but I think in that pump you shouldn't have a problem. Those guns were modeled after those gallery guns that did shoot them.

wiljen
09-08-2007, 08:50 PM
The problem wont be extraction, it will be feeding from the tube magazine to the chamber. Most of the tube Mag guns have an arm that raises a cartridge into position. if the cartridge is shorter than expected 1.5 of them fit on the ramp. You can see the problem this would create. Firing single shot 22 shorts in a 22LR only probably wont be a problem, but feeding from the magazine probably wont work.

Wiljen

44minimum
09-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I knew somebody on here could tell me

wiljen
09-08-2007, 10:35 PM
a buddy of mine tapped the ramp and added an allen screw that the shorts would rest against so he could shoot 22 shorts with the screw in or 22LRs without it. It might be an idea if you really intend to do a lot of it with the little rossi or taurus carbines.

Firebird
09-08-2007, 11:16 PM
No such thing as a 22 long rifle only barrel or chamber. The 22 short, long and long rifle are all heeled cartridges that have a straight through chamber, the long rifle just has a longer throat than the others. There are 22 long or long rifle only feed systems. If the way cartridges are fed into the chamber is C.O.L sensitive enough then the firearm may need to be treated as a single shot, but it can still fire and eject 22 shorts just fine if you can put them into the chamber by hand.

Johnch
09-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Funny
Dad has one of those pumps , a pre safty model

Not sure if it says Short , Long and LR
But he shoots shorts and CB Longs out of it all the time
Looking at his , it is a copy of a win. 62A
And my Win 62A will feed them all

In fact the Taurus is so close of a copy , I have a Taurus extractor , extractor spring and pin in my 62A
Just needed a little fitting

John

Bret4207
09-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Back in ye olde days the fear was that the short would corrode the chamber at the case mouth causing poor extraction with longs and LR. With changes in priming this isn't such an issue anymore. But, if you fire enough shorts you will get a little crud near the case mouth that can easily be cleaned with solvent.

Personally, I think CCI High Speed Short Hollow Points are the farmer/trappers best friend. Pigeons off the silo, rats, cats, hogs, beaver, muskrats, coyotes. It works on them all.