PDA

View Full Version : Need help with alloys

Redd508
05-02-2013, 11:48 PM
I just bought a bucket of mixed lead goodies at a garage sale and found a couple of interesting things. I have 4 bars of CerroBend for 6 1/4 lbs, a 1 1/2 lb bar of CerroSafe and 5 1/4 lbs of alloy marked Hewitt Metals Detroit. I'd like any info anyone has to offer the Hewitt seems like a soft alloy but i cant find any info on what it might be. I've found that the Cerro is used for slugging but does it have any value in mixing with sofy lead? I've got pics but cant upload. Any advice on that would be appreciated also.

runfiverun
05-03-2013, 02:28 AM
cerro-safe is for casting your chamber and throat area.
it has bismuth in it so it has a low melt point.

05-03-2013, 05:33 AM
The Hewitt Metals could be some sort of Babbitt metal. Is there any kind of ASTM stamp on it?

spfd1903
05-03-2013, 11:04 AM
There are a lot of references to an old Chicago company by the same name, that manufactured Babbitt metal and journal bearings. There are a lot of compositions of Babbitt, the antimony can be as high as 20%, and the tin 10 to 15%. Only way to know for sure is to have it zapped at a local metal recycling place.

05-03-2013, 12:22 PM
There are a lot of references to an old Chicago company by the same name, that manufactured Babbitt metal and journal bearings. There are a lot of compositions of Babbitt, the antimony can be as high as 20%, and the tin 10 to 15%. Only way to know for sure is to have it zapped at a local metal recycling place.

I recently found two ingots of Babbitt metal that were id'd by being stamped ASTM B23 Grade 19. Its composition was 86% lead, 9% Antimony and 5% tin.

Redd508
05-03-2013, 03:06 PM
These have no markings other than the name. I'll check into the recycler and see if he can help with that. As far as casting goes, what kind of bullets can i expect if it is as you described?

05-03-2013, 03:34 PM
These have no markings other than the name. I'll check into the recycler and see if he can help with that. As far as casting goes, what kind of bullets can i expect if it is as you described?

There's numerous Babbitt's with different compostions. Some are mainly tin based while others are lead based. I don't think any are really suitable to cast directly from. The ones I have are destined to be mixed with some pure lead.