PDA

View Full Version : what favored 40 brass for swaging?

elginrunner
05-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Is there any brand 40 brass that is favored more than another for swaging?

Oreo
05-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Amerc, exclusively. The rest is terrible for swagging and you should pass it on to someone who reloads it instead. ;)

MOcaster
05-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Agulia is my favorite. I have used just about everything I have picked up except for I think four different headstamps. Those four headstamps are kept separate to reload, once I get a 9mm. I don't know why, but Agulia seems to be the softest after it is annealed. It could just be my imagination, but that's what I think.

Lizard333
05-03-2013, 08:12 AM
For me it's what ever fits the weight I'm looking to fill. I sort all of my brass, thanks to Grumpa, in lots within one grain. 60-62, 62-64, so on and so forth. This allows me to keep the die set and crank through a batch of bullets. I have noticed with his BB tipped dies, 40-45, they die isn't as sensitive as say the 9mm to 40. The BB acts as a buffer almost, allowing you to use the brass without sorting by weight. This is what I've found, your mileage may vary.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I use Blazer
they seem to have the tightest weight tolerance of the brands I choose NOT to use for reloading.
Jon

GRUMPA
05-03-2013, 09:52 AM
I use them by weight and not by brand, if you ever weight sort a few thousand of them and look at the head stamps you'll notice that head stamp doesn't mean a whole bunch. I have mine sorted in bags of 1gr and I have up to 12 bags of different weights. WHY?? Early on I noticed variables when I swaged and weighing them seemed to solve most issues I was having.