PDA

View Full Version : Webley Mark I

easymoney
05-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Greetings All. I'm in need of some information and figured this is a good place to start. Many years ago I acquired a Webly Mark I in a trade. Never paid much attention to it as I was into the semi-auto phase at the time. Now that I started casting my own boolits, and running out of projects to do, I brought the old thing out and starting cleaning it up. I was surprised at the bore and general overall conditions of the pistol, considering she's been tossed around with no care for a long time. The bore shines better than several of my new high-speed/high-dollar pistols and everything appears to function as it should. The cylinder does not appear to have been cut to accept the .45 ACP with the clips, as described in a lot of on-line articles so as of right now I believe it to be as issued. So.. I haven't slugged the bore yet, but assuming it is still .455 does anyone here have any experience casting/loading/shooting/etc with this pistol? I don't have any molds that would fit a .455, and I don't want to drop a lot of cash into a mold specifically for the Webley so how can I get started without spending too much money. Midway does list brass for the .455 Webley and it isn't too much so I think I've got that covered. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ddixie884
05-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Try the Remington 255gr hollow based .45Colt bullet or Grafs has the 265gr Hornady swaged hollow based bullet made for the .455. Lee ABCs of reloading says 4.2gr Unique is max. Seat the bullets long for the Webley. There are some real Webley people on this forum. Hopfully some of them will see your thread and give you some real insight.

easymoney
05-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the info ddixie884. I figured if there was any place where people had experienced or experimented with a Webley this would be it. I just hope I posted the question in the right forum.

I'll Make Mine
05-06-2013, 10:37 AM
It's my understanding that the .455 Colt/Eley brass is the same as .455 Webley -- might improve your odds of finding correct brass. Don't forget that the Mk. I was a black powder revolver originally issued around 1880, and later versions (Mk. II through Mk. IV) had upgraded steel and heat treating to accept smokeless; loads should replicate black powder pressures, or better yet just use black powder and accept the cleaning ritual. The standard black powder load would be "slightly compressed" -- whatever amount of powder is required so that the bullet compresses the powder up to around .100 on seating (you'll need a good crimp to hold against powder pressure as well as recoil). Soft lead bullets and a hollow base will go far to cover up the way the British cut throats and rifling in the 1880s (by modern standards, the throats are likely to be undersize compared to the rifling grooves). Don't forget to use a proper black powder lube to keep the fouling soft.

easymoney
05-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks "I'll Make Mine". The more I research the Webley the more I think it will go back into the locker or on the wall for display. It's an interesting revolver but may require more time and expense than I'm willing to devote to it. Maybe another time when I've more free time and money to devote to it. Thanks again guys for the info.

I'll Make Mine
05-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Doggone -- if I had money, I'd have to PM you an offer (that model is, I'm pretty sure -- and I'd check before committing -- an "antique" and doesn't require any FFL involvement to ship or receive). I've wanted a Webley for as long as I've known what they were, and getting one still in the original chambering, even if BP-only, would be a real charge.

rintinglen
05-09-2013, 03:32 PM
If you could find one, both lyman and RCBS made HB molds for the 45ish caliber Webleys and Enfields. The only one I ever shot was a MKIV which had been converted to 45 ACP and the undersized bulets were none too accurate. However, they had a group buy a while back on a hollow-base mold--IIRC, by MP Molds--and were you to ask on the want-to-buy forum, you might find some one willing to help out.

Tom Herman
05-09-2013, 10:24 PM
All good advice so far... I have two Mark VI's, as well as several American revolvers in .455 Webley...
I'm not sure how the Mark I would do with smokeless. Not knowing, I would use BP only unless someone with knowledge greater than mine says it's OK to use small doses of smokeless.
That being said, remember that the top end of this round is 12,900 PSI or less... I think I do 4.2 or 4.3 grains Unique, and not a fraction of a grain more!
Use the Hornady brass (try Huntington's), avoid the Fiocchi brass like the plague. It uses small pistol primers, and just does not perform, even when hand loaded.
Use the 255 grain hollow base bullets.
I cast my own out of 50/50 wheel weights with 2% Tin, water dropped and lubed with my dead ringer for SPG.
Results are GREAT in all of my guns! Accuracy and power are excellent, and the powder has good ignition.
I don't know about the Mark I's throat, but on the Mark VI, the bullet goes from .455 to .448, and then expands to fill up the bore.
No sweat for this critter, as it's the smokeless equivalent of a Minie ball! It'd probably blow out to .480 or larger...
I have both the RCBS 265 grain RNHB mould as well as the Mihec.... Been way too busy to break in the Mihec, looking forward to using it.
As a warning, the RCBS won't cast worth a flip if you don't have a hot mould and real hot alloy.
I set my pot to max (about 925 degrees), and pre-heat the mould. Then it casts well and I go from 95% failures to about 85% good product.
The lube grooves don't fill out if the temperature isn't right.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

easymoney
05-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks 'Rintinglen': I wrote RCBS about a mold for the Webley. They gave me the appropriate mold number and cost and advised it was not an in stock item and would require about 10-12 weeks to produce. I'm thinking this is going to require more time and money than I'm willing to invest.
Thanks 'Tom': Sounds like you've some experience with the Webley. I'm not sure I want to mess with BP. I've owned several cap and ball revolvers over the years and just never could get fired up about them. Too dirty, too much required cleaning and way too much loading time and not enough trigger time. I still have a few stashed away in the locker. Every now and then I drag them out, clean them, oil them and then put them back. I love the look and feel of the old style cap and ball revolvers but I'll stick with the new cartridge designs. Just not my style.
Hey “I'll Make Mine': When you win the lottery or locate that end of the rainbow where the pot of gold is located, and find yourself with a few bucks you don't know what to do with drop me a line. I bet I'll still have the old girl. I'm sure we can work something out. If it makes any difference I believe her serial number is only 4 digits long. I'm assuming that makes her an oldie, but not sure. Anyway thanks guys for the wealth of information.

9.3X62AL
05-11-2013, 05:55 PM
I had a chance at a Colt New Service a few years back in 455 Eley, and almost snagged it for the $400 being asked. I have a real liking for weird old calibers, for some reason. It just ain't rational, but it is tons of fun.

twitch
11-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Looking for cartridge information on the Webley & Scott Mark 1 Self Loading pistol, can someone point me in the right direction. THANKS

9.3X62AL
11-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Looking for cartridge information on the Webley & Scott Mark 1 Self Loading pistol, can someone point me in the right direction. THANKS

I have a copy of Barnes et al's "Cartridges of the World", which shows a blurb about its pistol--factory/military ballistics--and dimensional data. How can I assist?