PDA

View Full Version : is 410 possible?

nekshot
05-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Is a 410 barrel feasible with black powder or would it be good for nothing?
nekshot

DIRT Farmer
05-02-2013, 10:57 PM
I have a 45 caliber set of shotgun barrels that the good Lord willing will be a flint double. 1/2 to 5/8ths oz loods are very doable. I currently have a 45 cal single barrel flinter that has shot some respectable scores on the Quail Walk at Friendship and skeet. They are fun guns.

nekshot
05-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks farmer, that is encouraging. I am running low on barrel inventory (the cheap stuff to mess with) and I found some 410 barrels. Waksupi's recommended book got me all stirred up over those swivel breech guns. Now those make sense if the weight is maneagable and I honestly believe I could make one of them or more! I love doubles, horizontal or vertical.

Good Cheer
05-03-2013, 08:11 PM
My two cents. There's a project I'm working on, a light weight flinter single barrel. Not a piece modeled on an under ribbed plains rifle wantabe but a plain jane nice to sling over your shoulder and to use all around woodlands hunter. Plenty of hurt with a round ball and able to throw a pattern a little ways with shot. Maybe it'll end up .50 but .410 would probably be too small. Got everything but the barrel so it's decision time.

DIRT Farmer
05-03-2013, 10:21 PM
The single flinter is my 93 dollar gun. Many years ago Dixie was selling old Belgin barrels for three dollars in a bucket, take your pick. The piece of wood cast me three dollars and the lock was 87 dollars. I made every thing else from the scrap pile. Always put the money in the lock.

Shooter
05-04-2013, 07:17 AM
A bit of thread drift, has anyone used sabots as shot cups for small gauge muzzleloading shotguns?
Seems it would work well in .50.

nekshot
05-04-2013, 11:41 AM
hmmm, sabots as shot cups now that sounds interesting. Well I bought 2 410 barrels so I am going to jump into this swivel double barrel after I do this flinter and if all goes well I have other barrels also for future use. I do have a 20 ga double I bought about 40 years ago and to me it is a mantle piece. I want some barrels I can trust!

Mk42gunner
05-07-2013, 01:36 AM
A bit of thread drift, has anyone used sabots as shot cups for small gauge muzzleloading shotguns?
Seems it would work well in .50.

Helping with the drift-- I used a couple of Poly Patches (anybody remember them?) in the late seventies to attempt a shot load in my .45 cal CVA Kentucky pistol. It got the shot out of the barrel, but I found out real quick about rifling and donut patterns. Plastic sabots should work in a smoothbore barrel.

Robert