PDA

View Full Version : Starting advice needed

johnp
05-02-2013, 09:37 PM
I am hoping to get into casting my own before too long. I will primarily be casting for .38/.357 and .44 mag. Other to possibly follow but it would be a while.
I know that Lee is loved by some and hated by others and I know that other brands are probably better quality but that comes at a higher price. It is my MO to try to save money where I can but I despise buying something twice. I am not a brand snob but I had rather hold off on getting something till I can afford quality and know I have bought it for the last time.
So, having said that, what brand of molds do you guys recommend?

454PB
05-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Nothing wrong with Lee, I have about 20 of them and never a bad one yet. I also own Lyman, RCBS, NEI (an old one), and H&G. There are several custom mould makers that are vendors on this site, and I hear good reports on their products too.

Yes, Lee moulds are built for economy, but with proper care, they will cast 10's of thousands of boolits. Some of the "custom" moulds will hold their value (actually increase in value), not so with the Lee moulds.

dmclark523
05-02-2013, 10:37 PM
I think that was very well said ^^^.

I have mostly Lee, and I just put down and got a mold from Accurate. It's very nice in quality, and seems extraordinarily well made,
but it cost $100 as opposed to $20.
That being said, there is no harm in buying Lee to start with and moving up from there! And hey, when you decide to go with RCBS, Lyman, ect,
sell your old Lee molds on here! Plenty of new casters looking to get their hands dirty!

MtGun44
05-03-2013, 12:40 AM
+1 on 454PB. Dead on. Lee designs do not always meet my needs, but the
molds are very workable. Inexpensive, but workable.

Bill

hermans
05-03-2013, 05:10 AM
I would recommend RCBS, Accurate and MP in that order. I agree with you johnp, rather wait a while and get the right stuff the first time, it is not only about the price, but the above molds are a pleasure to work with, and they will outlast you for sure.

gmsharps
05-03-2013, 05:26 AM
I started out with Lee products due mainly to inexpierience and economics. As money became more available I have stayed with better quality products. I'm not saying Lee is bad but it is in my opinion not made for the long haul and of course you are not paying top dollar and it will get you by. I am not brand loyal and use what products that suit the quality I wish to achieve. If funds are limited by all means start with Lee and go from there.

gmsharps

357shooter
05-03-2013, 05:54 AM
I have an assortment of custom, semi-custom and Lee. I've sold off my Lyman and RCBS molds. When a Lee mold is the design and length/weight that I'm looking for I tend to use them. For 357 I use their conventional lube 148 wadcutter, and a custom 173 Keith from Lee (cost a lot more). NOE makes a great semi-custom one, with a shorter nose so that it fits more revolvers using the crimp groove. For a revolver, those are what I've found to work the best. There other some other excellent 150 grain molds too, but I sold them off as the 148 and 173 cover all my revolver needs.

However, the 357 Rossi rifle likes a custom 120 RF grain bullet and a custom 145 RF GC bullet best.

Lee seems to have an excellent design for many calibers. I love the 300 RF for my 454 Casull for example. I have yet to wear out a Lee Mold, but I only use their six cavity version. I do not like the two cavity molds at all, from Lee or anyone else either.

cbrick
05-03-2013, 05:57 AM
It is my MO to try to save money where I can but I despise buying something twice. I am not a brand snob but I had rather hold off on getting something till I can afford quality and know I have bought it for the last time.
So, having said that, what brand of molds do you guys recommend?

It's called "only cry once". I had to save for many of my molds and I haven't regretted a single one of them except for a SAECO that came with incredibly poor customer service.

Without a doubt the best quality off the shelf mold is RCBS. In addition to the quality is a line of outstanding bullet designs and unparalleled customer service.

It's not in my nature to recommend grief or frustration, it doesn't seem to bother some people to need to spend time & energy trying to make a product do what they bought it to do but it does me and I bought my last LEE mold several years ago.

Rick

RickinTN
05-03-2013, 08:13 AM
I've have and use several of the Lee "new style" handgun molds. I do add a set screw for the sprue plate screw to keep it in place. I have custom molds from Accurate and NOE for my rifle bullets. I only have a couple of the older style Lee "rattle trap" molds and the new style is a considerable improvement. The Lee mold is not an Accurate, NOE, RCBS or Saeco, but they are less than $20 also and in my opinion are a good value. I've been using the tumble lube designs for 38/357 and 45 acp. I can produce "complete" lubed bullets much faster using 45-45-10 lube and haven't experienced the mess some folks report. Performance has been good with these bullets/lube method as well.
Good Luck to you,
Rick

runfiverun
05-03-2013, 11:48 AM
for a first mold to learn on and to figure out casting, and not a molds idiosyncrasies. [had to use the right click drop down box on that word]
i'd have to say get an rcbs mold and handles.
then you can go along with generic advice of cleaning,mold temp, casting alloy temp, and make good boolits right off with a little trial and error.

Larry Gibson
05-03-2013, 01:28 PM
If you haven't already I suggest the 1st thing you invest in is a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook; either the #3 (preferred but out of print but can be found in used book stores) or the new #4. Both have excellent sections on how to cast. Careful study of the how to cast sections will give you the basic and also give you an idea of the minimal equipment needed to be successful. If you are a well versed reloader you may get away with less equipment but you are only making do. The #49 Lyman reloading manual also has a basic section on casting bullets. All 3 also have a lot of cast bullet data for reference. It will pay dividends in better cast bullets faster and a whole lot less frustration if you learn the basics 1st.

I also recommend Lyman, RCBS and Lee moulds. Custom moulds are nice but they are for advanced casters with more knowledge and experience. If you mess up a Lee mould not knowing what you're doing you're not out that much....mess up a custom mould and "ouch" in the pocket book........the iron blocked Lyman and RCBS can be a little more forgiving than aluminum blocks.......

Larry Gibson

05-03-2013, 02:43 PM
1. RCBS, because of their time-proven excellent quality and customer service.

2. Older Ideal moulds, because they drop boolits of the correct size, or that can be sized to fit.

3. Lee, due to their spotty quality control and lack of selection of plain base, non-tumble-lube handgun designs.

I've not ventured into custom moulds, yet, but both Accurate and NOE have more than a few interesting designs, and forum members speak highly of their quality.

I would not buy a new Lyman mould, and older ones are a **** shoot.

johnp
05-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the great advice guys. Hopefully I will be finishing college this fall and will have the time to get back to reloading and into casting.

Cane_man
05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
if you can do it a NOE 2 cavity molds are about $77... with that you get a top punch (which is around $13 new) and 2 allen wrenches and some sprue plate lube ($5 ???) ... they cast like a dream and are well made, can't go wrong if you can swing it

rush1886
05-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Just my 2bits-and I'll preface such with the fact that I do not own a mold with more than 2 cavities in it.

One statement r5r made, rings very true to my casting--"get an rcbs mold and handles". While I agree the rcbs molds are excellent, and rcbs customer service is second to none, their mold handles have really gotten my attention lately. And I feel like this is something often overlooked.

I've been utilizing the ubiquitous Lee 6 banger handles for some time, for versatility. They never really felt good in my hands. Not to say they felt bad or wrong, just not good. I recently acquired a pair of rcbs handles, and all of sudden, I actually have control of the mold blocks during the process. The rcbs handles just "feel good"!

I am a firm believer in the pay and cry once principle, that is to say, save money a bit longer, and buy quality at the start. Never any regrets this way. And, quality does extend to the handles. Don't know how else to express it, but they're not "just a handle". Along with overall quality, they make a difference.

Not trying to get off on a seperate topic, just a personal observation of something often given little or no thought.

happy7
05-07-2013, 12:55 AM
I have almost every brand of mold, and I cast a lot with most of them. I have also had issues with most of them. If I have issues I either send the mold back and hope the replacement is better, or get it fixed. Either way, once I have a good mold, it doesn't much matter what the brand is, it will cast good bullets.

Out of all the molds I have, some of my favorites to cast with are Lee six cavity molds. No mold readily available today casts faster in my experience. With their aluminum sprue plates that work excellent, and light weight alloy, even for aluminum, no mold of comparible size is lighter.

If you take care of the Lee molds, they do not really wear out. I have cast many thousands with a number of my molds, and I don't really see any real evidence of wear. Discoloration, yes, wear, no. The alignment pins will eventually get to needing to be staked, and this is a flaw, but is easily remidied.

However, the Lee molds are made of soft alloy. If you abuse them, they don't last long. Again, if you take care of the Lee molds, they do not really wear out, but abuse them and they will be scrap quicker than others.

Yes, RCBS molds are nice and I really like iron molds, but they are after all, only two cavities. I enjoy casting bullets. I really do. But, if I'm honest, I enjoy it more when the pile builds faster. If you are crafting a few bullets for extreme accuracy, a two cavity is fine, a one cavity better. But if you want a thousand for a trip to the range with your high capacity handgun, two cavities can only be described as tedious, IMO.

My answer to your question is buy six cavity Lee molds. Yes, they are inexpensive, but they also may end up being your favorites!

H.Callahan
05-09-2013, 03:02 PM
I always consider my Lee molds as "disposable". They're cheap and they do work (after a fashion). But I keep in mind that they are, at some point, going to cause some minor or major issues. Most minor issues can be dealt with, though if you factor in the time and aggravation, some can be PITA. With the major ones, it doesn't hurt too much to toss the mold and get a replacement.

My other molds, I consider a lifetime investment. They will be passed on to someone after I take a lane at that big range in the sky.

Any of the custom makers we have here are unparalleled. RCBS is, hands down, the best major mold manufacturer. Lymans used to be good, but have been a bit iffy lately.

sparkz
05-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Johnp,
I am also new to the whole cast thing and I have found this very site to be "Best Money I never Spent" tons of great deals in the S&S parts where the long timers sell off some good stuff at good deals, Tho some deals are better then others, but I keep watching, also one of the sponcers here sell LEE and at fair prices,, Titan (look up at top of page)
also lots of guys will sell / send a few handful of some kind of boolits you may "Think" ypou like but I found it smart to be-able to "Test" a few and then if I liked them I could buy that Mold, I ask lots of dumb stuff but so far most long-timers have put-up with me,, lol
and once i do know of some stuff I NEED or posb want so as to make life easyer I can ask and or read-up with info i had been given and find the facts i feel i may need, I also read up on these forums TONS of info for guys like you and I, so we can and do spend what little we do have to get the right needed stuff,,
I found it smart to make up a list of my Stuff and then one for my wants and ask a few guys to eyeball it and they have set me right more then a few times (Best Money I never spent!) and then i do buy whats really needed and dont buy junk i will not use or never need and was / am able to focus on what I really needed,,

Best advice I can offer:
Ask these guys even stupid questions,
Lee 6cav. Molds are not as friendly as say a 2 or 4cav. I wish i had known that but we still use that mold just make 3 at a time,
Show some of them the Long timers "The List/s,
watch the S&S section for what ya need,
I even check Gun Broker & E-Bay for a deal, (you will wade thu tons of "raw-Deals" but can and will find a deal if ya wait,
Pick one size / type gun and get all the stuff for it first, (Unless a crazy deal pops up)
ask to buy a hand full of a boolit you fell you Might Like (Test Drive in the gun and on your equipment)
Lees a great start for some stuff, but some money is better spent of long term tools that might wear-out,
read up on stuff once you have some prospect "Wants",
did i say ask these guys,, Most all are great guys who love to help new loaders / Casters,,
dont forget to look in Helping hands and Pay it forward sections (its for us dumb nnew guys)

Hope some of this advice helps you
(I am still new and learn more everyday, but I owe lots to this site and the guys here, there your best "Money Never Spent")

Johnp;
I have and use Lee molds with out issues, keep the spue plats lubed with correct oil and keep them clean,
I also now have a few Ideal & Lyman molds (iron / steel) that look like they will last a few lifetimes, ( I got them from guys here, at deep discounts and some as Hand-up's)
both (Lyman, Ideal, ect.) are sold with out handles tho so watch for that so you dont receive a suprize in the box,, ( so take that fact into consideration when priceing them,,)
Lee work well tho but will never last like the iorn molds,, but just same a great start at a lesser cost..
once ya do cast with the better iron molds tho hard to go back to lee, but then I am still new playing this game,,

with all the money I have saved casting, Re-loading, shooting, learning my own Boollits,, I should be a Millionaire anytime now,:kidding:,, hahaha

But I must say the time I have spent with my 15 year old Son has been and will continue to be priceless to us both for many years to come,,,,

Patrick & Sean Campbell
Lost Creek, Kentucky

41 mag fan
05-21-2013, 08:51 AM
I believe in going with a Lee, esp if you are tight on money. Buying a Lee, you get to "test" the waters and find out if you're going to find casting as your cup of tea.
Yes, RCBS all the way up to NOE, Accurate, Mtn molds, ect ect are nice to own, and will resell at or near the same price as bought, but with a $20 Lee and being a noob, if you'd accidentally ruin the mold, you're only out $20 not $50+.
I warped my sprue plate on my first Lee, was learning and got it too hot and it warped.
Plus with a Lee 2 banger, besides being cheap, needing QC on your part, you learn the ins and outs, how to spruce that mold up to cast right, and when you've learned the quirks a Lee mold will throw you, you'll be ready to step up into a higher quality mold, and you'll then have the experience under your belt to start casting good casts from day 1 using a higher quality mold.