PDA

View Full Version : Shot 2 Sharps Today !

6pt-sika
09-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I had a lever action silhouette match at my club today .

And after much insistence on my part two of them also brought there Sharps rifles .

One gentleman brought his Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 caliber that is set up for BPCR silhouette .

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0232.jpg

The other gentleman brought a C.Sharps in 45-100 caliber and outfitted with a MVA 6x scope .

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0231.jpg

Now many of you may know that I have a SHiloh Sharps in 50-90 on order with expectations off recieving in the summer of 2008 .

Anyway I whined my way into being able to shoot them both [smilie=1:

I was allowed to shoot the C.Sharps first and shot a nice group at 100 yards and another at 200 yarsd .

Then after I helped the owner get everything put away the gentleman with the SHiloh asked if I would like to shoot his . Well I didn't want to offend him by not shooting it , so what could I do but shoot it LOL's !
He had his Vernier sight set at 350 yards , so that was where I shot . Three shots in about 4 inches . I was ecstatic :-D

I am already thinking of ordering another Sgarps after I get my 50-90 [smilie=1:

6pt-sika
09-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Well now when my 50-90 arrives I will not have to say that it was the first Sharps I ever fired :drinks:

PatMarlin
09-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Grand looking and performing rifles no doubt. I want one. Or 2.

NickSS
09-12-2007, 08:15 PM
They are addictive and I ought to know I have two Shilohs and 4 C Sharps rifles in different calibers and or barrel weights and maybe another is in the future.

6pt-sika
09-13-2007, 05:10 PM
They are addictive and I ought to know I have two Shilohs and 4 C Sharps rifles in different calibers and or barrel weights and maybe another is in the future.

I have the Shiloh "Big 50" on order . But I am already considering a 44-77 or 45-70 to put a MVA scope on top of [smilie=1:

Black Prince
09-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Uhhhhhh . . . you got it bad. But it's a good thing to have bad. Having a Sharps just makes a man feel good ya know? Shooting two of them in one day will make a man smile an I betcha ya got a big one on yer face rat now.

Good on ya. Heck, I can hardly wait until yer Sharps comes neither to see it and how it shoots. I'm about to give one chambered for 45-70 to a young fella who wants one bad but has four kids, a truck note, a mortgage, and he is a welder. Ain't a chance in hell he can afford one, so I'm just gonna give him one of mine and all the reloading stuff he needs to shoot it. Since I got a Browning BPCR Highwall, I don't shoot the Sharps much and it's too nice to just leave in the gun safe.

Besides that, I can't shoot but one rifle at the time anyway, so what the heck?

floodgate
09-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Black Prince:

You truly ARE a "PRINCE"!

floodgate

Jon K
09-14-2007, 01:04 AM
Black Prince,

You are not just a PRINCE, but Santa & God's Blessing to the young man. make sure you have the paramedics standing there, in case he has a heart attack.

Jon

:cbpour:

Buckshot
09-14-2007, 01:42 AM
.............Black Prince, you're obviously a nice person. Good on ya!

...........Buckshot

PatMarlin
09-14-2007, 10:36 AM
It feels good to give a kid a rifle. I don't have none of my own, and the neighbor kid did't have a dad of his own, so I gave him an nice 30-06 for graduating High School.

I had the rifle built up for him on a M1917 Winchester action. Told him for 2 years to bring me his diploma as proof that he made it. Well one day he brought it, and I went in and got his rifle out of the safe and handed it to him, and he bout' fell over.

You never saw a young mans eyes get so big. Like I says it feels good to do something like that. Good backatcha BP..

:drinks: :drinks:

Boz330
09-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Either one of you guys want to adopt me:mrgreen:

JK, very nice thing to do especially if it brings in new blood into the shooting sports. I don't have any kids of my own but have a God Son that I've given several guns to. Unfortunately he is fairly new married and starting his career and doesn't have much time except during deer season. I am thankful for that though. He's a good kid, mostly because his God Father spent a fair amout of time making him that way[smilie=1:
I think that the demise of the shooting sports is going to be from lack of interest rather than gun controll. Youngsters now would rather sit in front of a computer than get to a range or out in the woods. Anything that furthers that is a good thing. And as BP pointed out you can only shoot one at a time.

:hijack: Back Prince on that breach seating I promised I would inquire about. He told me that the way his info said to do it was put a wood dowel in an empty case just a little longer than the case. Put the boolit in the chamber and use that to force the bullet into the rifleing. Then chamber the case with powder and wad. This whole thing was aimed at smokeless powder and Shutzen style matches. Doesn't sound like something that would work for BPCR. Unless you have very strong thumbs and a case full of Black.:drinks:

Bob

Black Prince
09-14-2007, 12:13 PM
It ain't a big deal fellas. I'm 65. My wife of 42 years and I have no children. Everything I have is paid for. I don't owe anybody a nickle except for next months electric bill and these dam property taxes and insurance. Three years ago I was sitting in my loading room with the door open on the gun safe and started looking at the rifles that had not been out of it in 20 years.

I have only two nephews and one does not hunt or shoot. The one that does is relatively inexperienced and presently in the Navy on a Nuke sub. So I gave him a VERY FINE Remington 721 in 30-06 that will shoot 180 grain bullets into a nickle all day long. It had a nice Leupold 3 X 9 veri-X II scope on it. I had loaned the rifle (along with a .Remington C grade .375 H & H to a friend for a trip to Africa.) He had cancer and was dying and it was something he had always wanted to do. The Land Cruiser hit a hog wallow and turned over in Africa and it broke the stock on the 721. He had it restocked in South Africa in the european style in VERY NICE english walnut with buffalo horn accents and nice checkering. I sure hated to let that rifle go but I didnt use it so . . . It's gone to a new home now.

I had two .375 H&H's , a 300 win mag., .243 Styer Maqnnlicher and a half dozen others like a VERY FINE 6.5 X 55 Mauser that was tricked out to the nines and as slick as they come. I took them to a friend that had a gun shop and told him to just sell them and he did. I gave away all the brass, loading and sizing dies, bullet moulds, ect. I kept only a little . 308 RSI Ruger and my Ruger No. 1 in . 338 to hunt and a little .22 made on a TC Contender action.. I kept the Sharp's and the highwall just cause a man ought to have one. Course he ought to have a 30-06 too, but then . . .

The guy I am giving the Sharp's to has been furnishing the steel targets for a bunch of us that get together in south Mississippi every spring and cook a whole hog, play guitars, and shoot buffalo rifles and BP pistolguns for three or four days. Two Trees that posts here on cast bullets always comes to that event too and PatMarlin belongs to the Church of the Painful Truth forum where all of that got started but he has never attended any of our annual shoots and guitar pickin's. At least, he ain't yet but we keep hoping that he will. This young fella shoots his 7mm at these shoots (it's all he has) and drools over the Sharp's rifles. He always works his butt off at these things and is just the every esscence of what I consider to be the bed rock make up of America. He is the kinda guy you'd want on your jury if you were charged with a crime. Last year he shot several other people's rifles at the event and I could see that he would love to have one and that he KNEW he could not afford it. I know the look cause I've been there and done that most of my life.

I was sitting down in that loading room recently looking in that now almost empty gun safe and thought, you'll use the Highwall mostly from now on so what are you gonna do with the Sharp's? The notion hit me that I would give it to him. The more I thought about it, the more right it seemed. I thought about my situation in life when I was his age and if somebody had given me something like that then, I'd have died and gone to heaven. Since it didn't happen to me (and it ought to happen more often than it does) I thought there is no reason I can't make it happen for him.

Then my selfish side kicked in after I had everything boxed up ready to give him. The rifle is in the box it came in without a scratch on it anywhere and with all the original paperwork, manual, including the register tape where I laid out 1163 bucks for it. I thought about what it cost and all of the reloading stuff (bullet moulds, sizing dies, 200 cases, plastic boxes for the cases, dipping ladle, casting pot, loading dies, extra firing pins and extractor for the Sharp's, about 500 cast and lubed bullets, 100 loaded black powder cartridges etc., ect.) and the thought occured to me I could sell that stuff for about 13 or 1400 bucks.

Then I thought, what would an old fart like me do with that money? I have all I need to live. Another 1200 bucks ain't gonna make one dam bit of difference in my life now, but it might make a difference to him if nothing else except to let him know how much I appreciate the work he does at these annual shooting events. So I got over the selfish part and all of that stuff is boxed up ready to go to him next time I am in Mississippi which will be this fall hunting season. It's too bad more of this isn't done because many younger people are not getting involved with the shooting sports and it is a dying thing. This guy is in his early 30's I'd guess, so he'll have a long time to use the Sharp's; at least he'll have a heck of a lot longer than I'd have anyway. You never know when you'll wake up dead and at my age, I don't even buy green bannas anymore cause I don't know if I'll be around when they get ripe.

Ain't these golden years great? You sell or give away things you've spent a lifetime collecting and you get ready to die. Yeah. I'm realy looking forward to this getting old crap! I recommend that you boys avoid it if you can.

Boz330
09-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Black Prince, good on you. I try to live by an old saying "what goes around comes around" and it seems to play out that way most of the time. The look on that guys face when he opens that box will be something you will remember forever.

12 years ago the guy I worked for came in 2 weeks before Christmas and said I'm closing the repair station NOW. Give me your keys and clean out your stuff. A customer that I had known for 6 or 8 months maybe, said you can work out of the back of my factory till you find a place. Well I was there for 3 1/2 years and was not charged any cash money for rent. I did do work for him. After we had become good friends I asked him why he did that and he said that he thought that I deserved a break and he could afford to give it to me and I should do the same for someone else if possible. I am doing that right now for someone else that deserves a break. I can't help in quite the way I was helped since my pockets aren't quite that deep, but doing what I can.
If you don't see the results on this side maybe they will be redeemable on the other. Boy I sure hope so, I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Bob

floodgate
09-15-2007, 12:43 AM
BP:

Yer STILL a Prince!

floodgate

Black Prince
09-15-2007, 12:19 PM
floodgate

If I'm a prince, you don't wanna be one cause it doan pay squat!

Last week I was runing at 5 AM in the morning and ran up on a bear with a cub. She almost got me!! I mean she had me an I don't know why she didn't eat my butt because all I had with me was a little .380 Kel-Tec. Maybe I should have told her that I was a prince and that would have impressed her?

So doan go running up on any bears with cubs at 5 AN inna morning cause they can dam shore outrun you!!. But if ya gonna do it, make sure you have something larger than a .380 with you and thass all tha princely advice I moan give yawl boys today.

PatMarlin
09-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Maybe your wernt seasoned quite right BP.. :mrgreen:

Ammohouse
09-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Those are nice Sharps!
I've shot a couple. I own a Pedersoli Sharps and it shoots better than I do, I have beaten guys with "real" Sharps from time to time. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to have a "real" one.
How did the scope work out for you? I've always wondered if it gets close to your face.

6pt-sika
09-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Those are nice Sharps!
I've shot a couple. I own a Pedersoli Sharps and it shoots better than I do, I have beaten guys with "real" Sharps from time to time. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to have a "real" one.
How did the scope work out for you? I've always wondered if it gets close to your face.

That scope in the reason I will most likely order a second as soon as I get the 50-90 .

I think the 50-90 will be more then I want in a scoped Sharps , so I thought if I was pleased I would send another $250 to Shiloh and get another in 40/70 , 45-70 or 44/77 . And then mount a scope on top .

6pt-sika
09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Incidently , the gentleman that owns that scope had it built with mil-dots . I didn't care for that style reticle until I shot that Sharps [smilie=1:

Now I kinda think it's a good idea :-D

EDK
09-20-2007, 03:30 AM
You might consider having the BIG 50 drilled and tapped and MVA scope mount bases installed while they are building it. I did that on my 34 inch heavy barrel 50/90. No scope so far, but it's just a drop-in rather than a trip to the gunsmith this way, per the folks at MVA. You could also switch the scope between rifles. Ask SHILOH about the recoil reducer installed in the butt stock.

I got to handle a scoped 50 SHILOH SHARPS at the QUIGLEY SHOOT in June. That has me thinking about the scope again. If you like SHARPS, ETC, going to QUIGLEY is unbelievable. 500+ shooters, all kinds of rifles, lots of shooting and good people to hang out with and enjoy.

:castmine:

PatMarlin
09-20-2007, 07:40 AM
BP- when the dust settles on what I have going on right now, and my wife and I are re- established financially from taking a big hit the past year and a half, we're going back to meet you folks.

I've also got a close internet buddy who's a north Louisiana "good country boy", and I want to visit him. I've never been to the deep south, and this would be a great adventure... :drinks:

Black Prince
09-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Pat

We had a buncha south louisania coon asses cook us some mud bugs lass year and dang they wuz gud! We have people come from Canada and all over the country to these things. I've been amazed at the quality of the people that come. But it's like you already know them because you can usually tell a lot about a man by his words here on the Internet. You know how much fun we have at The Church of the Painful Truth and it's jiss like that at one of the annual events but BETTER!

We have GOOD food, good fellowship, we pick guitars, sing, maybe have an adult beverage after the shooting is over, and we have been known to buy, sell, or trade guns, knives and have some good shooting contests. Lass year we had some fellas that were part of the Hunley (The Confederate Sub that was recently raised and on PBS or the History Channel) come and present us a program on it. They actually took part in the ceremony as Sons of Confederate Veterans to intern the remains in a Confederate place where they could not be disturbed. They poured concrete over the graves and I mean a LOT of it. I'd have never thought that somebody would try to rob a grave but they had good advice to protect the graves, so they dang shore did. It was a good program and we all enjoyed it around the camp fire. Next year we gonna have the curator from the Vicksburg Battlefield Museum do a program for us. You need to come if you can. It'sa hoot!

PatMarlin
09-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Now BP mud bugs must be some crawdads right?

Please excuse this californy boy.. :mrgreen:

tallpaul
10-14-2007, 04:09 PM
I like the whole giving guns away thing. I am not as old as ya guys but hav done it for years myself. My God has blessed me in the gun realm and I have started more than one on their way to the sickness of shooting :) Nothing like the face of a guy or gal who can't affford to get one gettin set up and set up decently.

The bad part is that EVERY TIME I give a gun away I ALWAYS get several deals or freebies for myself. That whole sowing and reaping thing STILL WORKS! The bible never did say guns were not included and if ya do it with the right heart it does come back to ya- one way or another :D

Oh and back to the sharps thing- can ya believe I have 2 -never been shot Shiloh business guns HB with pewter tips in 45/70 sittin in the safe? We had a group of six guys order right before the movie quigly and the move came and ended up delayed etc My dad and I ordered one each but dad could not afford his when they came and I bought em both. Dad did not want his when I offered so... I need ta get a good mold or at least some boolits for at least one of em ;) They are pretty!

wills
10-14-2007, 05:20 PM

Please excuse this californy boy.. :mrgreen:

They would.

montana_charlie
10-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Crayfish to a Northerner...crawdads to a Westerner...crawfish to a Southerner.
Considered to be 'food' by some (including my wife)...a 'delicacy' by the head-suckers...and 'bait' by me.
CM