PDA

View Full Version : Wild temps!

mainiac
09-08-2007, 05:15 PM
While im on here posting on other topics, i thought i would tell you folks that it is september in maine, and it is 92 degrees!! Never heard tell of such a thing! Lived here my hole life, and cant beleave how hot it is right now! Whats that they say about global-warming? If GORE wasnt behind all the hype, I might consider it.

floodgate
09-08-2007, 07:36 PM
mainiac:

I can't tell you how tired I am getting of that "Global" warming hype! Together with all the "global" trade, "global" village, etc., etc., it is all propaganda pushing the "round Earth" myth.

"IT ISN'T ROUND; IT'S FLAT!"

floodgate

9.3X62AL
09-08-2007, 07:52 PM
"IT ISN'T ROUND; IT'S FLAT!"
floodgate

And smokeless powder is a passing fad, too.

Pepe Ray
09-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Mainiac;
As you know, I've got a few years on you .(decads?)
92* in Sept is not a first. I've seen some unbearabley hot summers.
In '62 or'63 Our summer was so hot and dry that the Govenor closed much of the Maine woods from deer hunting. In a part that remained open ,near the Arnold Trail, I hunted in shirt sleeves and sweltered just as we did today.
That night a front moved in and I woke up to 6 ins. of snow and more coming.
"That's Maine"
Pepe Ray

mainiac
09-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Mainiac;
As you know, I've got a few years on you .(decads?)
92* in Sept is not a first. I've seen some unbearabley hot summers.
In '62 or'63 Our summer was so hot and dry that the Govenor closed much of the Maine woods from deer hunting. In a part that remained open ,near the Arnold Trail, I hunted in shirt sleeves and sweltered just as we did today.
That night a front moved in and I woke up to 6 ins. of snow and more coming.
"That's Maine"
Pepe Ray

GEEZSH! 65 was 3 years before i was brought upon the world,,, glad i missed that fall!!! All i remember real plain, is that by labor-day weekend,we always had killing frosts. We would use all of mums sheets and blankets to cover the tomatoes. My garden is completly used up and plowed under long before we have ANY frosts anymore. Aint had a bad frost since 11 years ago!!! I plant my next years crop of garlic on the same week-end as the common ground fair,(third weekend in september) and it is suppose to sit there dormant over the winter. Sometimes it comes up and starts growing now in november, and a few years back it grew into jan,because there was no frost in the ground. I aint very long-in-the-tooth, but ive seen things around the farm that i have never seen years back!

Bret4207
09-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Yeah, it was hot for 2 days. The previous 2 weeks it had been in the 40's in the morning. Yesterday was in the 90's, today it's 56. I've treated my pool 3 times this summer as opposed to 8-10 times in a warmer summer. I recall going trick or treating wearing a snowsuit and climbing over snowbanks and I also recall wearing shirt sleeves on Christmas day. Weather and climate are constantly changing, but until man can control the temp of the Oceans, sunspot activity and cloud cover I'm not buying Al's load of hype.

He sure is making a ton of money off it though, isn't he?

BD
09-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey Mainiacs, somehow that still doesn't make me feel any better about being down here. I really miss that big cool lake. It's been in the 90's for two months here and the humidity was in the 90 % range also until this week. You sweat through your clothes by 8:00 am if you're working outdoors. Not much point in going in the ocean either, the water temps are also in the low 90's. And forget swimming in fresh water, anything big enough to get your head wet has alligators in it. Whoever convinced the rich and famous that Hilton Head was the cat's pajamas for a vacation resort was one heck of a salesman.

Maine weather can really be something to experience. In the late 80's I can remember a day on the north end of Moosehead lake when the temperature dropped 60 degrees in about two hours one September afternoon. Sunbathing at 4:00 PM and ice on the deck of the boat before we were back in town at 6:00.

It was before I moved up there but the older folks in Greenville are happy to tell visitors about a Forth of July in the mid 1970's when there were snowflakes in the air in Greenville. I'm really starting to miss it these days. My daughter will graduate from UMF next spring and after that financial pressure eases I'm planning to head back north.
BD

MT Gianni
09-09-2007, 09:39 AM
In the 20+ years we have called MT home it has snowed in every calendar month. Gianni.

Pepe Ray
09-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Mainiac 'When BD gets home we'll have a party ay my place.
BD. Be sure to let me know when your coming. Gotta get my sound system hooked up.
Pepe Ray

SharpsShooter
09-09-2007, 11:35 AM
And smokeless powder is a passing fad, too.

Absolutely! The stuff will never last.[smilie=1:

SS