PDA

View Full Version : 380 load question concerning powder compression.

Muddydogs
05-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I am working on a load for the LCP .380 pistol, load consists of 3 grains Unique, Lee 358 105 SWC sized to .357 bullet actually weighs in at 108 grains. To get the round to chamber I have to seat the bullet so the case mouth is just in the crimp groove touching the front drive band. I guess my concern is how compressed the powder charge is. From what I can tell there isn't any room left in the case and the powder is good and compressed. Should this be a concern?

Larry Gibson
05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
It could be; that load should be worked up to when using data for a different bullet, especially for use in a blow back pistol(?). Lyman lists 3.3 gr Unique as max for the 102 gr Lee RN but it is not seated as deep. Be best to switch to a faster powder like Bullseye, 231, 700X or WST for that bullet in that case.

Larry Gibson

Shooter6br
05-02-2013, 03:25 PM
I use Red Dot with same bullet.Tried Unique and Universai.Found Red Dot burns more completely.Pistop is Bersa Thunder 380.It is a bargin.

Muddydogs
05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
It could be; that load should be worked up to when using data for a different bullet, especially for use in a blow back pistol(?). Lyman lists 3.3 gr Unique as max for the 102 gr Lee RN but it is not seated as deep. Be best to switch to a faster powder like Bullseye, 231, 700X or WST for that bullet in that case.

Larry Gibson

I used the bottom end of that load data at 3 grains and was not planning on going any higher. I did look around and found a few others loading at the same weight with same componets. I guess I will back it down to 2.5 and work up to 3. I'm just looking for a light plinking load with this bullet is all, something funner to shoot out of the little pistol so maybe it gets shot more.

Larry Gibson
05-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Good to back down as deeper seated bullet increases the psi of a given load, especially in the smaller pistol cartridges.

Larry Gibson

rintinglen
05-02-2013, 09:20 PM
A very big plus one to Larry's comments. If you have to deep seat a boolit, you must reduce the powder charge. Hercules did some experiments where they doubled the pressure of a load in a 38 Special WC merely by reducing the OAL .15", IIRC. I don't know how much less room you have with the 108 SWC versus the 102 grain round nose that your using the data for, but I'd be concerned.