PDA

View Full Version : 500 S&W NEF Handi Rifle results.

Blammer
09-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the load suggestions guys!

Cast up about 90 of the 350 500 GC boolits, they weighed in at 340 when checked lubed and sized. WW's just air cooled. Not sorted or wt'd for consistency just picked the best ones and shot em up.

Tested 3 loads

Lilgun 39 gr
BlueDot 22 gr
Unique 15 gr

Shot at 50 yards.

Lilgun what a STOUT shooter! It would rock you good, we discovered that the eye relief on the scope is a BIT short.... no big gouges in the eyebrow, but my glasses ticked the front of the scope a time or two...

This load shot 1" at 50 yards but 6" low, and no L or R.

Bluedot was a milder load, not nearly as big a punisher as the Lilgun, but it was fairly brisk. No worries on the scope eye with this one. It shot zero L and R but 3" high.

Unique, was a tad milder than the Bluedot, but not by much. It shot zero L and R and 3" high at 50 yds too. Printed right next to the Bluedot load.

My friend who's gun it is was very pleased with the bullets and performance. He is the one who bought the mould, I just cast em, check, size and lube them for him. He loads and shoots them.

He is looking forward to using the Bluedot load on deer this year.

It's amazing how much lead and lube you can go through in a hurry with these big boolits!

Blammer
09-08-2007, 03:49 PM
No leading in any of the loads.

dubber123
09-08-2007, 03:53 PM
We shot some of my brothers 440 gr. pistol loads, (1,400+ in the revolver), through his 500 Handi, and were surprised at the total lack of leading or fouling. The recoil is certainly brisk. I hay have to have one.

Johnch
09-08-2007, 04:08 PM
I also have a Handie rifle in 500 S&W
All I have shot out of it is 10 rnds of factory ammo , wow is that a joilt on the shoulder

It shot 2+" at 75 yds , but I didn't have scope worth a hoot on it
I think I trashed the scope in 10 shots

I have 2 of the Lee 440 gr GC moulds
One will soon be reamed to a plain base

Then I will see what the beast will do

John