PDA

View Full Version : Bad Experience W/ Taurus

Jim
09-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I picked up my new Taurus PT140 Thursday evening. Friday AM, I was at the range for break-in. :-D
To start with, the slide release requires the pressure of both thumbs to get it to release. No good.:neutral: After two magazines, one would not lock in at all and the other would drop out after one or two shots. No good.:( I followed the mfgr's. instructions TO THE LETTER on dissassembly. The slide lock would not come out. No good. :mad:
I took it back to Sportsman's Warehouse and they're shipping it back for me. 3 to 4 weeks, so says the man behind the counter. If it's right when it comes back, I might keep it. I can hone the slide release to make it drop with out having to stand on it. If it ain't right, I'll sell it for what I can get, cut my losses and move on.
So far, my first experience with Taurus has been a really bad one. Next time I buy a pistol, I'll go back to Ruger or Smith.

dubber123
09-08-2007, 04:04 PM
If you are really lucky like me, they'll tell you to always clean your gun, and never shoot handloads, and that the big gouges in the bore of your brand new gun are "within spec". This will take them 2 full months to get it back to you, and they will include the 2 big scratches on the side and the ding for free though. Good luck.

Cayoot
09-09-2007, 08:50 AM
I guess I'm lucky. I just purchased (a few months ago) a new Taurus PT 145 Millennium Pro, I have about 500 rounds through it so far and it is flawless with everything except SWCs. ( I really wanted to shoot SWCs through it, but at least I have a good RN mould).

One thing I tell everyone I know who talks about buying a Taurus is to have your dealer/pusher order it through Davidsons. This is because Davidsons gives a lifetime guarantee on their Rugers and Taurus guns. If you have a problem, return it to Davidsons, if they can't fix it quick, they will replace it. That saves the buyer alot of headaches in dealing with the Taurus company.

Good luck

monadnock#5
09-09-2007, 12:38 PM
My experience with my PT 1911 mirrors Cayoot's. I haven't tried SWC's, but 452374's give no trouble at all.

Given the fierce debate that the name Taurus engenders on this Board, I will file the suggestion to go through Davidson's for future reference. Thanks for the heads-up Cayoot.

ebner glocken
09-09-2007, 02:26 PM
I guess I've been one of the lucky ones, not that I own an buttload of taurui. One PT-92 has worked flawless for years and a model 85 .38 (works well enough for what it was intended for). I have a 605 on order......hope the new ones are as good as the older ones. It sounds like perhaps they may not.

Sprue
09-09-2007, 09:29 PM
I've had a 605 for about three yrs now. Its sole diet has been nothing but my full 357 mag handloads and I swear by it. The purchase price back then was 269 plus a yrs subscription to the NRA. The/my 605 is extremely accurate, far better than I can do with my comparable M60, although I am a Smith fan, I like it!

Lee
09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
I'll weigh in my $0.03 here. I've several Tauri revolvers, and several Tauri semis. I must be one of the lucky ones, because I've had good luck with them all. The revolvers are super accurate and neer' a problem. The semis, from .380 thru .40S&W have all been a joy to shoot.
I understand that they have a "checdkered" past...just sayin' that I've been happy with them........................Lee:coffee: ;-)

JMax
09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
I was the gunsmith in a shop in CO a few years ago and we stopped selling that brand due to spotty performance. I cannot comment on current production and I did get a chance to shoot their new 1911 at the Steel Challenge and it shot well but I stick to mainline vendors for my pistols and revolvers.

ebner glocken
09-11-2007, 07:26 PM
The 605 came in today. Too early to tell much other than it shot 50 rounds of full house .357s w/o a glitch. Accuracy was baseball size groups @ 7 yards w/o taking much time to empty it.