PDA

View Full Version : Bou's and Black Powder

Red River Rick
09-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Thought I’d share a few pics of my recent caribou hunt to northern Manitoba. My son and I, spent the last week of August hunting eight miles south of Nunavut (new territory), about as far north as one can hunt in my province.

I managed to bag this bull with my Pedersolli LR Creedmore, 45-70, at 200 yards. Boolit was a 510 gr, BP SIL (Dixie), 30:1 mix, SPG lube and pushed with 65 grs. GOEX FFG Black. More than adequate for an animal of approx. 400 lbs.

Inside spread is 46”, and both beams measure approx. 50”. Should be close to a book animal, I’ll have to wait the 60 days before I can get an official score.

With the bag limit being two animals each, the other 3 bulls were taken with sportsterized a 6.5x55, M96. At 200 -300 yards.
Using a 107 gr. HPBT match “J” Boolit.

Weather was good, daytime highs of about 10 ° Celsius and dipping down to 3 -4 at night, perfect for hanging meat. And no flies.

Now that falls approaching, I’m looking forward to doing some serious whitetail, elk and moose hunting. I’ll most definitely be taking my Pedersolli along for the hunt.

RRR

Woodtroll
09-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Congratulations, Rick! A nice animal on what looked to be a beautiful hunt.

I'm getting serious about hunting only with my 1874 Shiloh Sharps. I'm curious as to what sights you use when hunting? I'm wondering if the bullet expanded, but I expect that you did not recover it?

Again, congratulations! Sure looks like fun! Thanks for the write-up.

Take care, Regan

Red River Rick
09-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Woodtroll:

I'm currently using the factory sights that came with the rifle, USA 451 front tunnel sight and the USA 436 Creedmore style rear. They seem to work well, however, I do have a Long Range Mega Soule (made by parts Unknown) that I am wanting to install.

Unfortunately, I did not recover the bullet, it's somewhere out there laying on the tundra. I would assume that there would be some bullet defornation, but without the slug, it'll be hard to determine that. It would have been nice to weigh the slug to see how much weight the bullet retained after the fact.

Thanks.
RRR

kodiak1
09-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Nice Boo Rick.
What that cost for the hunt?
Fly in I would guess.
Ken.

Red River Rick
09-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Ken:

Cost for a 5 day hunt is $2,300.00; departure is from Thompson, Manitoba, 500 miles north of Winnipeg. And air travel is another 300 miles north from Thompson to the camp via single turbo Otter. Your allowed two animals, providing you have bought both tags.

The first tag is $100 and the second tag is $45. In addition, if you are lucky enough to see one, you’re able to take an arctic wolf with each tag.

Fishing is also included, some of the finest in North America. Huge northern pike, lake trout and arctic grayling. Goose hunting as well, they fly so low you could probably wack them with a stick.

It’s not unusual to see hundreds of caribou a day at the beginning of the migration and perhaps thousands at its peak. The biggest problem is choosing which “ONE”. There are too many choices and if you spend to much time “Gawking”, you’ll most certainly miss out. So it’s pretty much a guaranteed hunt. Most hunters are usually finished their hunt in only a couple of days, leaving the remainder of the time to fish or continue hunting other game.

All meat is boned out and packed in coolers the evening before departure. So you end up with approx. 100 lbs of meat per animal. My son and I brought back close to 400 lbs of meat, and I’ll enjoy every bit of it. Much better tasting than deer. No wild taste at all and very lean, comparable to elk somewhat.

I’ve already booked the camp for next year. I have a choice of either the first or second week of September /08. I’ll have to wait and see which week will work out best for me and the rest of the party.

RRR

RugerFan
09-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow very nice Rick!!! I'm jealous. I hope I can get back up to Alaska with my son before I get to old and hunt caribou once more. Central Arctic herd most likely. Only this time with cast bullets of course. :Fire:

JDL
09-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Well done, Rick!! Who would have thought those big ol' soft boolits work just as well as they did one and a quarter centuries ago, huh. Thanks for sharing. -JDL

Woodtroll
09-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the reply, Rick. I didn't figure that bullet would stay in a caribou.

Congratulations again! Take care, Regan

Just Duke
03-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Ken:

Cost for a 5 day hunt is $2,300.00; departure is from Thompson, Manitoba, 500 miles north of Winnipeg. And air travel is another 300 miles north from Thompson to the camp via single turbo Otter. Your allowed two animals, providing you have bought both tags.

The first tag is $100 and the second tag is $45. In addition, if you are lucky enough to see one, you’re able to take an arctic wolf with each tag.

Fishing is also included, some of the finest in North America. Huge northern pike, lake trout and arctic grayling. Goose hunting as well, they fly so low you could probably wack them with a stick.

It’s not unusual to see hundreds of caribou a day at the beginning of the migration and perhaps thousands at its peak. The biggest problem is choosing which “ONE”. There are too many choices and if you spend to much time “Gawking”, you’ll most certainly miss out. So it’s pretty much a guaranteed hunt. Most hunters are usually finished their hunt in only a couple of days, leaving the remainder of the time to fish or continue hunting other game.

All meat is boned out and packed in coolers the evening before departure. So you end up with approx. 100 lbs of meat per animal. My son and I brought back close to 400 lbs of meat, and I’ll enjoy every bit of it. Much better tasting than deer. No wild taste at all and very lean, comparable to elk somewhat.

I’ve already booked the camp for next year. I have a choice of either the first or second week of September /08. I’ll have to wait and see which week will work out best for me and the rest of the party.

RRR

This work be a great hunt to try out the 338 Lapua's on. Can you post a link to the guide service with the cool plane? :-D

brshooter
03-15-2008, 09:30 PM
That single engine Turbo Otter is quite a bit different from the twin otters and single engine beavers we had in RVN. All the engines we had on the Dehavilines(sp) were radial engines and they were massive and powerful. We had 3 twin Otters and 17 Beavers, all but 1 otter and 1 beaver were mission planes.