PDA

View Full Version : Heavy lead in the .41 magnum.

littlejack
05-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Hey fellas and ladies:
I won a NEI 275 411 mold on fleabay a couple of days ago. It is a truncated cone SSK design, and is stated to drop boolits at 285 grains with ww alloy. I will probably receive it the last of the week or so.
I have shot the LaserCast 255 grain design with good results, but nothing as heavy as this NEI boolit.
Has anyone here shot any heavier/longer boolits in their .41 magnums? Just wanting to get ideas as to what is coming.
Any thoughts or experience?
Jack

x101airborne
05-01-2013, 05:43 PM
I shot some 270 grainers in front of a stout load of 2400. Sure made that blackhawk bark AND bite. Made me remember why I got rid of my blackhawk in 44 mag with a 4 5/8's barrel.

GLynn41
05-01-2013, 11:33 PM
I have a mold i got from Mr Jones himself-- cast hard up to 19 gr 296 bullet weight is275
cast from wheel weights around 17-18 gr 296 bullet weight is about 286 gr

they shot well in an 8.3/8 .41 Smith I had and a 6" DWA killed one deer and some ground hogs
made good size holes and of course they dig deep- plenty accurate

GARCIA
05-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Heaviest I have run is a 255gr one out of my Redhawk Hunter.
Did everything I wanted it to. Will admit it is a handful in a smaller/lighter gun.
Run them through a pair of Marlin lever guns with real good results also.

Tom

littlejack
05-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the replies.
One of the reasons that I like the .41, is that with standard weight slugs loaded full house, the recoil is still very manageable. I
suspect that these heavy slugs will definitely change that situation. I just gotta try them though, just for the fun of it.
Any thoughts on boolit stability with that long of a slug?
Jack

GLynn41
05-02-2013, 02:00 PM
they seemed ok in my S&w and DWA I can speak no further

littlejack
05-02-2013, 03:45 PM
These will be shot in my model 57 w/ 6" barrel. That should help some. I just got a tracking number on the shipping.
The molds should be here about Monday. I'm itchen to start casting these boolits.
I have a couple jugs of 2400, but I really like the H110 for heavy slugs. There may be to much boolit in the case to use the H110 though. I may HAVE to use the 2400 to get good speeds to stabilize these logs.

dmize
05-02-2013, 04:08 PM
I shoot one of the Ranch Dogs that I think comes out right around 260. That and a full case of H110 is about all I want in my 5 1/2 Bisley.

littlejack
05-02-2013, 04:17 PM
That Ranch Dog boolit looks like a good one, but I just can't stand that tumble lubing thing.
There is a mold that I am keeping my eye open for, that I think would be a very good heavy slug. This will be my little secret until I find it though. Chuckle, chuckle.
Jack

fourarmed
05-02-2013, 05:04 PM
I am using a 280gr GC boolit cast from an LBT mold in my 10" Dan Wesson for silhouette. I load enough H-110 to get about 1200 fps. The bullet groups well out to 200m, although for some reason I have to make a rather large windage adjustment going to that load from the 410459 load I use for chickens and pigs. I also used a commercially cast boolit that weighed about 270, and shot very well.

littlejack
05-02-2013, 07:30 PM
That 1200 fps for that weight boolit, is packin the mail for sure. Either your eyes are very good (young????), or you are using a scope for that 200 yard range? Good shootin for sure.
Jack

dmize
05-03-2013, 10:30 AM
The only problem it gave me was in my Bisley the front sight was
too short.

littlejack
05-03-2013, 06:00 PM
dmize, that is understandable with the slower velocity.

GLynn41
05-03-2013, 06:16 PM
speed 18 gr of H110 1180 IN A 6'' dwa--1302 IN THE 8 3/8''

Groo
05-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Groo here
The SSK was designed as a heavy for the 411JDJ [got one] a 444 necked to 41.
Was also used in the 41mag, and said to work well in the 405 win.
That is about the heaviest bullet I would use in the 41mag and I would use it at hunting load pressures.
Here's a hint--- Use a 90% loading [100% is full to the base] of AA1680 work up if needed.
Will not be as fast as H110/296 but shoots well and pressure seems mild.
As always , us at your own risk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

littlejack
05-06-2013, 03:39 PM
I received the NEI mold Saturday. This is my first NEI mold, and I have to say, it is very nice. Some NIT-WIT used a metal hammer/object on the sprue plate to knock it open. I cannot believe some people. It looks as though it was done just a few times though.
I cast up about 100 +/- on Sunday. These weighed more than I expected, with an average of about 298 grains. I thought my alloy would have weighed out heavier than that. I may have to mix up another batch to be harder and lighter.
I still have to look around and find some H-110 powder here local. Things are still a little tight when it comes to reloading components. They are starting to lighten up some though compared to a couple months ago.
Jack

missionary5155
05-07-2013, 05:23 AM
Good morning
Littlejack.. I would think the NEI was listed using Lyman #2 or staight linetype as the mix.
The caliber .41 magnum hums nicely with 205-265 grainers.. especially in DW's with thier extra long cylinders. Lots of room in there to seat out to the first grease groove and get another good dose of slower powder in there for long barrels.
I did not see what revolver you are using.. gonna go look again.
There it was in the middle . I would be very kind to the S&W 57. Have one. Started out as a 6inch and I bought a 4 inch barrel for it to carry about. Model 57's are going to last you many years with what I think of as 90% max loads.
I would not think of shooting my M57 with my max loads for a RBH, Bisley or DW. First the cylinders are a might thinner but that is not the issue. The barrel is lighter contour but that is not the issue.. The frame is the issue. The M57 was designed for a steady dose of light weight 170 - 210 grainers. The average shooter is going to propel maybe 4 boxes of these down range a year. Then he takes his safe queen home smiling. Most of us do this in one afternoon weekly.
So now you take a 280 grainer and stuff it with a case full of something and you are putting strains on that nice pretty frame it will not tolerate for long time service. Silly-wets showed that the S&W frame is suseptable to high stress problems.
So anyway... I do not think a few rounds will cause you any grief. First sign of extraction issues I would back off.
If you really want to see the potential of the caliber.41 magnum get a DW. The RBH are stout but not as finely accurate as a DW. Then there is the caliber.414 Supermag if you want to really slam that 290 grainer downrange with authority from a revolver.
Mike in Peru

littlejack
05-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Hey Mike, good to hear from you.
I bought this model 57 in 1972. A friend of mine was a deputy sheriff, and bought it for me. The price was 212.50 American. What a buy.
My go to load for decades was the Lyman 410459 with 8 grains of Unique. I even took two deer with this load. Both about 50 yards. Anyway, I shot thousands of these plinkin loads. In 2000, I noticed the groups opening up, so I sent it back to Smith & Wesson. They replaced nine parts (nothing major), and recut the forcing cone. It shot better, but it didn't seem top shoot as well as it did when it was new. OR, was it that my eyes were 30 years older?
Thank you for the information on the S&W frames. I knew that they were not up to constant beating that the Rugers were.
These heavy loads will be just for my own R&D, and there will not be a constant diet of them in the old girl. BUT,
i'm sure going to have fun launching some of these heavies down her barrel.
Regards
Jack

Combat Diver
05-11-2013, 09:50 PM
I've got one of the RD's TL-411-255 RF (non gaschecked) With Wheelweights they weigh about 265-270grs. I shoot mine out of a 4" M58, 6.5" Blackhawk, 14" TC Contender and a 20" Marlin 1894S. Carried the Smith and RD bullet in Oct and Feb in Alaska behind a near max load of W296. Here's RD's load data.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC411265RF/data/loadnotes01.pdf

CD

littlejack
05-12-2013, 12:59 AM
CD:
I was looking for the RD mold that you have for a long time. It looked to be about the best weight for heavy boolits in the .41 magnum cartridge (in my opinion). I have little hope of finding one now that RD has stopped. Maybe there will be a used one come up for sale somewhere. Thanks for the RD load data. It is always nice to have/get more load data in ones references to look back on.
Jack

Good Cheer
05-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Initial testing of the goofy heavy 295 grain named The Rivet.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/TheRivet_zpscd77517f.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/TheRivet_zpscd77517f.jpg.html)

The Rivet with 14.5 grains AA9.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/th_145AA9Rivet_zps93921794.jpg (http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/145AA9Rivet_zps93921794.mp4)

Falsemuzzle
05-19-2013, 11:01 AM
What's the o.a.l. of those monsters?

littlejack
05-21-2013, 11:55 PM
That's quite a big chunk of lead, but I believe that it would actually be shorter than my NEI boolit, if they were the same weight. This would be from NOT having any "ogive" to your boolit, and or truncated cone.
My NEI boolit has a tc, that would have to make the boolit longer for the same weight as yours. BUT, my boolit is supposed to drop at 275 grains, so it is actually a lighter design than yours even though it dropped at 299 grains with my alloy.
Regards
Jack

GLynn41
05-22-2013, 08:25 AM
wow I am impressed-- how do they group--mv?

littlejack
05-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Hey fellas:
I finally found some H-110 powder a couple days ago, so today I started the R&D reloading of the heavy 300 grain NEI/SSK
boolits.
I loaded a total of 59 rounds, because that was the number of cases that I had in one lot that was used the least. Probably reloaded 2-3 times.
I decided to use my Little Dandy powder measure, as that way I could just change the rotors to get different powder weights.
Let me start with the fact that the boolit seats into the case .500 to the crimp groove. Now that is a nice round figure. I like nice round figures. That makes my mathematics a whole lot easier.
I started with #17 rotor, which dropped 16.2 grains of my lot of H-110. This was with WW cases, and the amount of case capacity left for boolit seating was .550.This made an air space of .050. I told you that it made my math easy.

Next lot of loads was with R-P cases.
I used #18 rotor, which dropped 17.2 grains of my H-110. Available room for seating the boolit was .525. Still not compressed, but close.

Next was rotor #19, that dropped a charge weight of 18 grains even. Avalable case left for seating boolit, .500? This allowed the boolit to just set down on the powder charge, but without compressing.

The last load was with R-P cases also, and the #20 rotor. This dropped a charge of 18.7 grains of the H-110. The case space left over for seating boolit was .485. That gives the powder .015 compression.

When using the LD powder measure, the powder charges should always be checked with a powder scale. According to my scale, the lot of H110 that I had, was not weighing the same as the powder chart listed for the LD powder measure.
Tomorrow, I have RSO duty at the gun club. There will be time to get in some shooting and find out just what my Smith likes, and doesn't like about the loads. At this point, I am just looking to find out what will be a good charge of H-110 for pressure, accuracy and control. I will load and shoot on another day, and Chrony the loads that I decide on.
I will post a range update on these loads after I get this ammo tested.
Regards
Jack

GLynn41
05-24-2013, 12:46 PM
JD Jones give 19 grains of H110 with the bullet at 275 gr hard cast-- mine ran about 286 or so up to 295 -- I was shooting smiths and a DWA - settles on 17.5-18 gr and that shot very well -- I tried up to 19.5 in the DWA but chrony said no real gain -- muz vel from my Pact was 1300 in an 8 3/8 S%W - the DWA shot most of them

jonp
05-24-2013, 06:22 PM
WOW! A 296gr wadcutter!! Holy Smokes.

9.3X62AL
05-25-2013, 11:23 PM
The only problem it gave me was in my Bisley the front sight was
too short.

255 grain Lee SWC had the same effect in my Blackhawk x 6.5". Accurate, but went high in comparison to 210 grain sight settings.

littlejack
05-26-2013, 01:18 AM
Hey to ya fellas:
Well, I did get to shoot the heavies at the range yesterday, in between RSO'ing. What a hand full of raw .41 power.
First, I would like to get some clarification. The NEI mold, is stamped with the SSK letters, and the numbers 411-275.
I just read an article wrote by Glen Fryxell, headed (The bullets of SSK) The short .41 section is started with a picture of this SSK boolit loaded in a .41 magnum case, one cast and lubed, and the last boolit as cast. Behind the photo, is written.
(NEI #225B, a PB variation on the .411-300 GC theme.
Now, with my mold stamped .411-275, I am wondering if it is miss stamped? The #275, is supposed to be the GC version. My mold is a plain base version. Can any one give some clarification on this?
Now, for the range update.
First, I will have to say that my eyes are a lot worse than I thought. I done my shooting at 25 yards, and the groups were nothing to jump up and down about. I fired my first rounds with the 16.2 grain load of H-110. No hole. I stepped down to the 12.5 yard line and fired three shots. They all went way high, which was to be expected. I stepped back to the 25 yard line, cranked the rear sight as far down as it would go, and started firing again. Wa-La, boolit holes in the paper. With this lite load, the poi was 6" above the poa. The group, was 2.5" ctc.
Next was the 17.2 grain powder charge. The poi was 5" above the poa. I fired two groups, and they were both at 3" ctc.
The next load was with an even 18 grains of H-110. The poi was 3.5" above the poa. I fired a 15 round group, with a ctc spread of 3.5" for 13, and two called fliers.
The last load was the 18.7 grains. I fired 8 shots, and the group was 7.5" ctc. I don't know if it was the load, or maybe fatigue on my part, or my bad eye sight.
When I started my shooting session with the 16.2 grains, I had flattened primers from the beginning. NOTE: I use WLP primers, and they have a tendency to flatten very easily IMO. They are a soft primer, and I do not take much store in reading them as a "high pressure" indicator.
All of the cases ejected very easily. I mean that even with the 18.7 grain load, just tip the barrel up, and push the ejector rod down. The cases fell out.
I am going to do some more testing, but I did like the 18 grain load. I plan on either buying, or making me one of those diopter things to look through, to improve my shooting. I want to get rid of the factory RED insert on my front site, and replace it with a BLACK one.
I will chrony my loads on my next session, and give a velocity for these big slugs. I am thinking around 1150 to 1200 fps with the 18 grain loads.
These big slugs were a lot of fun to shoot, but I do understand why a prolonged diet of them would be rough on a handgun that wasn't originally built for one, (Smith&Wesson 57).
I do thank you all for your input and replies on this thread. If you have any advice or experience, lets hear it.
OH yea, how about those gizmos we need to look through when our eyes go bad. Any one have any experience with one?
Jack

Qc pistolero
05-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Wow!There must be SOME kick when you let go!

About those look through guizmos you inquire about,I've tried them and they work OK.But the real solution for me was when I had my wife measure the distance from my eye to the front sight of my revolver and transmitted the info to my oculist.I brought him an old pair of glasses and asked him to make me some lenses adjusting the focus to the measurement(only for the master eye;the other one I had sandblasted so that I cannot see through).Now,I see that front sight 100%.It improved my scores in a sensible way.

Qc Pistolero

littlejack
05-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Qc, welcome to the CastBoolits sir.
Thank you for the information. I will definitely consider that. With that in mind, how fuzzy or blurred does your (special shooting glass) make the target? I guess it would be no more than if a person leaned their head waaaaayyyyyyy back with their bi-focals to see the front sight, eh?
To answer your first statement, YES, one definitely knows when one pulls the trigger. BUT, the greatest and best thing I like about the .41 magnum, is that even loaded with these top power rounds, it is still not nearly as bad as that .44 magnum. I mean that .429 magnum.
Regards
Jack

GLynn41
05-27-2013, 01:03 PM
my SSK 275 is adouble cavity pb, my load was the 18 gr H110--wwlppI have not changed it since the 80s but i do shoot it only in the DWA -- my Redhawk is now a .410 GNR -- and i do to not want shoot it in my .41 Tracker

littlejack
05-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Hey Glen:
My NEI/SSK mold is stamped the same as yours. I must assume (I know, that gets me into trouble) that the 275, is #275, being the particular mold "number" and NOT the dropped boolit weight, correct? Either that, or the 275 weight would be with straight linotype?
The GC design is listed to be a 300 grain version on NEI's chart, but as stated on my earlier post, my boolits drop at around 298-299 grain, with my alloy.
I did get leading with these heavy boolits, but this revolver has leaded with cast boolits, of any alloy/weight from the start. I am sure that after the bore starts to build up leading, and increases as shooting continues, this will have a direct and definite impact on accuracy.
I have just been living with it and scrubbing with the brass brush and "ChoreBoy" after my shooting sessions.
I think today, I will slug the bore again and take a crack at measuring the five groove with the wrapped feeler gauge method.
Jack

littlejack
05-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Well, I just came in from slugging my Model 57. I used a .002 feeler gauge to wrap around the boolit. I then snugged the two dangling ends of the feeler gauge in a vice to free up my hands to use the micrometer. I used a Mitutoyo digital micrometer.
I tried different methods to measure the diameter, and settled on this method.
I would tension the mic to where it would just slide from one end of the boolit shank to the other, without any diagonal slack/slop.
I used one each of the NEI/SSK boolits for each of the measurements. These boolits sized, measured .411+ diameter. Last week, I checked each of the cylinder throat, by driving a boolit through each. They slugged .410+. So far so good.
I drove the first boolit all the way through the (CLEANED) barrel, and out the forcing cone. I measured this boolit eight times, turning the boolit 120*. The measurements were from .40920, to .41175, and anywhere in between.
The next boolit, I drove down the muzzle about .100 past the base of the boolit. I made me a puller from a wine bottle opener to pull the slug back out. I measured the boolit six times, turning 120* each measurement again. This boolit measured .40900 to .41155, and any where in between.
Now, if you subtract .002 x 2=.004 for the feeler gauge, that makes for a very small groove dimension, AND out of round.
I did measure the feeler gauge to make sure it was .002.
There should be no leading, right? Any thoughts? I would really like this revolver to stop leading.
Jack

wyattjames
05-27-2013, 08:35 PM
the gizmo that you put on your glasses I know it as a merrit optical . E arthor brown carries them I use one for shooting sillywets. helps clear up the sights and the target by focusing the light entering the pupil.I am able to shoot without the aid of my glasses/bifocals ,

GLynn41
05-27-2013, 10:01 PM
the 275 gr is the weight - but I do not know the alloy --I have one of the first artcles he wrote on it-- and he listed 19 gr H110 with a 275gr at 38,000 cup ? I will check -- and then I have an article where a 330 gr.44 was used to kill a buff from a modified .429 Redhawk at 1550 feet per second

Good Cheer
05-28-2013, 08:43 AM
What's the o.a.l. of those monsters?

Right up to the front of the Ruger cylinder. I need to use some harder alloy to keep the diameter down and bullets in the cases under recoil.

Groo
05-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Groo here
If you have access to some AA1680 try it.
90% load to the base.
This powder is very slow and seems to work on cast well.
As far as the sights, all heavy bullets will do this.

littlejack
05-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info Groo.

JSH
06-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Littlejack, fourarmed shoots iron sighted. I would be happy to shoot as well on one of his off days as I do on a good day. As to old eyes, he is one of the oldest teenagers I know.
Interesting thread. I started looking at the 41 mag after having backed off of a 375atomic idea.
Jeff

41special
06-12-2017, 12:09 AM
I'm looking to go the commercial cast LBT style, what do you all think, 250 or 265 grainers?

Running them in a 657 no dash 3".

sixshot
06-12-2017, 02:21 AM
Just my opinion but I think you can over bullet any gun & I think 280 grs & heavier is just too much in the 41 magnum, especially in a model 57 S&W. Again, this is just my opinion, others might disagree. I've owned 41 mags since 1967 & taken quite a bit of game with them, feral hogs, Javelina, deer, antelope, bear & elk & always had great success & one shot kills using either the 230 gr. Keith or the 250 gr. LBT WFN. I think the 250 is the ideal bullet for bigger game & if I think I need more bullet I go to a bigger caliber. No need to stress the gun & the real heavy bullets are stressing a model 57 with heavy charges of 2400 or 296. Good luck with your new mold.

Dick

41special
06-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Just my opinion but I think you can over bullet any gun & I think 280 grs & heavier is just too much in the 41 magnum, especially in a model 57 S&W. Again, this is just my opinion, others might disagree. I've owned 41 mags since 1967 & taken quite a bit of game with them, feral hogs, Javelina, deer, antelope, bear & elk & always had great success & one shot kills using either the 230 gr. Keith or the 250 gr. LBT WFN. I think the 250 is the ideal bullet for bigger game & if I think I need more bullet I go to a bigger caliber. No need to stress the gun & the real heavy bullets are stressing a model 57 with heavy charges of 2400 or 296. Good luck with your new mold.

Dick

I'd agree, the 250 solid seems perfect to me. Just wondering about that 265 grainer & it's unusual shaped nose.

RJM52
06-15-2017, 09:42 PM
41Special...I have the same gun and have gone in the opposite direction for it using the Mehic 180 grain bullet that has extra pins to cast 160-170 grain HPs and PentaPoints... It is much more enjoyable to shoot with the lighter bullets..

But if you want to go heavy take a look at the Accurate Molds 41-250F. It had a huge meplat and was designed after the 41-215V.. I have both molds and they are very accurate and make wadcutter like holes....

One warning as to Smiths and heavy bullets...run slow you will run out of sight adjustment...as in turned all the way down the POI will be several inches above POA...

Bob

sixshot
06-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Bob, I'm guessing you never run out of sight adjustment when hanging out with "Ted" & doing a little long distance work up in the valley.

Dick

Shooter6br
06-16-2017, 02:16 PM
I use a Lee 240 SWC cast single cavity with 657 no dash 6in 1986 bought new

Good Cheer
06-19-2017, 10:07 AM
I use a Lee 240 SWC cast single cavity with 657 no dash 6in 1986 bought new

Have you seated it out to full cylinder length and maxed the H110 or 296?
I did that with a Blackhawk, didn't protect my trigger finger and the middle joint hurt for months!
:-P

RJM52
06-21-2017, 12:31 PM
Bob, I'm guessing you never run out of sight adjustment when hanging out with "Ted" & doing a little long distance work up in the valley.

Dick

...I do but it is the opposite problem...not enough rear sight....

I was hoping to meet up with you this year but looks like it will be another year before I can get out that way again...

Bob

Larry Gibson
06-21-2017, 01:19 PM
No criticism meant here to those that do but I never found the "heavy" bullets for caliber all that useful in any of my magnum handguns (32 H&R, 357, 41 and 44 Magnums). Yes I have tried the heavier for caliber bullets in all of those cartridges over the years and have only found 270 gr cast to be beneficial in the 44 Magnum. As to the 41 Magnum I haven't found any bullets that perform any better than 210 - 220 gr. Yes I know the heavier bullets "penetrate" better but since I don't do Texas heart shots I don't need all that "penetration". Any 210 - 220 gr cast bullet at 1300 - 1400 fps will penetrate clear through on broadside and angle shots on deer, goats, pigs and even smaller yearling elk.

Like RMJ52 I am more prone to use lighter weight bullets in my 41. I have a Lee 410-175-SWC that makes a very nice plinker. It and the TL410-210-SWC are my most used bullets at low and medium velocities (800 - 1100 fps) because they are fun to shoot......most of my shooting with the 41 magnum is "fun". Fore serious cast loads I use the RCBS 41-210-SWC or the Hornady 210 XTP.

Again, no criticism to those who want to shoot the heavies, just pointing out some of us enjoy the 41 Magnum with light to standard weight bullets. It is a fine revolver cartridge.

Larry Gibson

RJM52
06-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Have to agree with you Larry...really anything over a 255 is really not necessary...but they are fun. And really in DA revolvers I prefer to stay between 165 and 220 grains... Anthing heavier are for the SAs only at this point....

Bob

sixshot
06-22-2017, 12:20 PM
By far my most used bullet has been the 230 gr. Keith from an old Saeco mold. My everyday plinking load is 8 grs of Unique for ground squirrels, rock chucks, badgers, foxes, coyotes, etc. I've shot many, many hundreds of pounds of these over the last 40+ years. This bullet has also accounted for a lot of big game up through elk but 2400 has been my powder of choice. The LBT 250 gr. slug has been a late comer in the last 10 years & is a wonderful bullet that holds up well even though it's a WFN out to 200 yds if velocity is run towards top end levels.
I never run any handgun at maximum levels, I prefer to move up in caliber rather than stress the gun or load, just my opinion. Accuracy is always #1, anything else is second. Give me an accurate load & a gun with a trigger that breaks like frozen lettuce & I'm a happy man!

Dick

gpidaho
06-22-2017, 01:12 PM
Guys; I shoot a Ruger Blachawk 41mag. My moulds are the Lee TL410-210-SWC, the Saeco 62417 #417 and the NOE 411-251-WFN. It's pretty hard to pick a favorite of these but the Noe is cut right at the max the Blackhawk cylinder will accept for length when seated to the crimp groove. A fun everyday beverage can roller is any of these bullets over 7gr TiteGroup. Pretty inexpensive load for the 41mag. Gp

475AR
06-22-2017, 03:18 PM
Mehic 180 grain bullet that has extra pins to cast 160-170 grain HPs and PentaPoints...

Bob
Got any pics of those 160,170 and 180gr bullets? Been thinking of picking up one of their molds and this may be the one.

Three44s
06-23-2017, 09:36 AM
I am also of the mind that the .41 is a better .41 when it is not saddled with a heavy for caliber boolit.

For my taste, 220 gr. does just fine.

The .41 mag was envisioned as a bridge between the 44s and the 38s and to take the edge off the recoil of the .44. Originally, Elmer Kieth and Bill Jordan went after Smith & Wesson to build a .41 for police work but the "magnum craze" was on and the manufacturer instead produced another hunting cartridge of a little smaller diameter.

Most folks turn to the .41 to skirt the recoil of the .44 yet recoil is all about math. Trying to turn the .41 back into a .44 only re-ups the recoil force .... after all, it is not what is stamped on the barrel, it's what is stuffed in it that matters!

In my experience even 265 gr lead should be approached with caution in the .41 as both my Smith 57 and Dan & Wesson start getting cranky if I push them.

I think that the guns made for .41 have a little tighter tolerances in most cases and that may also contribute to a sort of glass ceiling I have witnessed in my specimens.

I appologize if I come across as jaded to this subject but it is just my opinion that while the .41 is a very fine cartridge, it may not be the very best one to push the envelope with but with it's tighter guns may well yield very fine accuracy if run as intended.

I always say if you want to do a "big" truck job, get a big truck! My .40 something arsenal consists of two .41s, two .44s and one 480 Ruger. For my taste, as I want the bullet weight to increase substantially, I reach for a bigger bore. If I want to skirt some recoil, I don't push a smaller bore but rather stick with the larger gun and adjust my loads accordingly.

Best regards

Three 44s

osteodoc08
06-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Well, this thread is 4+ years old but the sentiment I guess is the same. I have found that the 220-235gr class to be ideal for most working loads in the 41, which is my favorite revolver cartridge. I have molds from 170 to 265. As of late, the 235gr WFN has been a winner in every gun I've tried it in and used it last year to harvest a small doe. I've found no difference in terminal performance between the 41, 44, or 45 Colt.

I've also played with the 480 Ruger and have found it to be the best heavy lead slinger for me. 350-425 gr for me in a mid velocity loading does everything I need it to.

Otherwise I grab the 45/70 if needing less than 150 yard performance.

Buckdane
09-23-2018, 10:09 AM
Not sure what the rest of you run into day in day out, but for my 41's a load of 8gr Universal under a RCBS 41-210-SWC boolit seems to work out just fine. If you have fun with recoil have at it, but I have a great time shooting my lighter than wrist breaking loads. Shoots fine in my Henry also.

RJM52
09-23-2018, 11:43 AM
As stated above, in most of the Smiths I just run 8.0 grains of Unique...this gives 950 fps from a 4". Have been shooting some 212-220 grain HPs and PentaPoint bullets and the HPs get 9.0 for 1100 and the PPs get 10.0 for 1180 fps...

475AR..my apologies...I didn't see your request for pics....when I get back home I'll try and find some...

Bought a new FA 97 with a 5.5" barrel a few weeks ago. Had a bunch of the Accurate Mold 41-250F bullets around and loaded them up with 9.0 grains of Unique I think...they shoot very nicely...hope to get out tomorrow to shoot some more...

Bob

osteodoc08
09-23-2018, 06:10 PM
Not sure what the rest of you run into day in day out, but for my 41's a load of 8gr Universal under a RCBS 41-210-SWC boolit seems to work out just fine. If you have fun with recoil have at it, but I have a great time shooting my lighter than wrist breaking loads. Shoots fine in my Henry also.

Any 210-220 SWC with 7gr W231. Scored a deal on some factory cast and lined with Carnauba red 215gr Saeco Boolits and have been using them with excellent accuracy in all my guns and pleasant shooting. Sent tens of thousands of rounds down range of this load and is my go to for plinking and practice.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Any 210-220 SWC with 7gr W231. Scored a deal on some factory cast and lined with Carnauba red 215gr Saeco Boolits and have been using them with excellent accuracy in all my guns and pleasant shooting. Sent tens of thousands of rounds down range of this load and is my go to for plinking and practice.

Any idea how fast they are going

osteodoc08
09-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Any idea how fast they are going

925-975fps (average) depending on gun. This is from several revolvers and measured with a Lab Radar with 7gr 231 and a .411” sized Saeco 215gr LSWC crimped with medium crimp in crimp groove.