PDA

View Full Version : Chaparral Rifles

dromia
09-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Anyone know anything about this make of Winchester rifle copies, I'm interested in their 1876.

Trying to find out more about these rifles after a not very good review in a UK gun magazine.

Seems they are Italian made, anyone know their pedigree or have any experience of them and their quality, accuracy etc.

I've been on their website but wonder in anyone has first hand experience.

Lloyd Smale
09-08-2007, 03:00 PM
my buddy picked up a 45/60. Its not a bad gun. It shoots real well but has a couple issues like cheap sights and cheap wood that you wouldnt think would come on a gun that cost as much.

dromia
09-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks Lloyd.

They are reasonably cheap here in the UK around £480 new so some cut corners are to be expected, sights will need upgrading with apertures anyway. They will need to function reliably however and the quality of the barrel is crucial.

There have been some rave reviews from US gunwriters on a site or two but it didn't mirror the UK review, maybe the first batch were specials. The wood is evidently over patterned.

Think I'll get one sent up for look see.

I find the calibres very attractive 45-75 sounds a good bottleneck challenge to go alongside 577/450 and 45-60 looks as though it could respond well to some carefull load development.

I also like a hefty rifle.

Poohgyrr
04-18-2008, 05:31 AM
A bit old now, but here is a forum with some information on these rifles.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=89.0

KCSO
04-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Dromia
Somewhere here there is a thread about my expierience with the Chapparral Rifles. I never did get a good fully functioning rifle from them. The bores on the first two i got were so large that no cast bullet would shoot in them (38-40 with bores from 401 to 403) and the chambers were not finished cut. On one replacmnet rifle, after i talked to the Owner, the rear sight was mis milled and had two notches side by side. These guns are slapped together with mismatched Italian parts and are not guns for shooters. They look pretty but that is about all. Since my problems( I gave up and traded the Chap for a Uberti) I have examined 12 other of their rifles including the 3 in stock at Upper Missouri, all of the rifles had some defect rangng from minor glitches to completely non functioning guns. A 40-60 that was in stock at UM had a mis fitted loading gate and it blocked the breech from opening and closing. bores varied wildly for the calibers with 40-60 and 38-40 being the worst. The Factory claim s that a 403 bore on a 38-40 is IN TOLERANCE and that assembly numbers on the guns don't mean a thing. If you buy a Chap you will most likely be disappointed. By the Way I have E Mails and pphoto's to document all this and will send them on request.

04-18-2008, 03:58 PM
I have no direct experience with the Chaparral guns. BUT, partly because of the same kind of problems that KCSO has documented and since a friend HAD one.... I have no interest. The friend's gun had major problems. He sent it back for service/repair. Got the gun back.... same problems.:(

As far as the 45-75 round goes. It's a classic. One of Winchester's attempts at keeping up with the big single shots. And since the model 1886 came shortly after.... all original 76's are rare as are the guns chambered in 45-75. The much stronger 86 pretty much took over the "big bore" lever gun market.

Depending upon the type of brass you end up with the "75" part of the 45-75 may be a little optimistic in modern brass. To the mouth rim capacity of the 45-75 brass I have is about 65 gr of Goex FF. So the "real" capacity is something less than that. Not all bad just something to be aware of. The biggest PITB with the 45-75 is getting ahold of some decent brass at reasonable cost. Reforming 348 Win or 50 Alaskan is doable but not without glitches.

dubber123
04-18-2008, 04:19 PM
I had the chance to examine 1 a week ago, and although I did not get to fire it, I can't say I was impressed. The sights were horrible, yes it's a minor thing, but...The wood to metal fit was poor and the forend cap was mounted VERY crooked.

If it was a 300$ rifle I might forgive this, but they sure aren't. I think a Uberti might be money well spent.