PDA

View Full Version : Choice between a Ruger and a Savage

Tristan
05-01-2013, 01:22 PM
If you were going to purchase one of the new-generation bolt rifles (the inexpensive variety) choosing between the new Ruger American (scope mounts included) or the Savage Axis combo (mounts and 3-9 scope included) which would be your choice?

They are close enough in price to be a non-issue.

Both are detachable mag-fed bolt actions, both have the same method of attaching the barrel, the Ruger has a blade-type trigger and is well-regarded, the Savage Axis interestingly enough has a standard type trigger which gets decent reviews as well. They are both relatively light weight, and the Ruger is noted as having relatively low recoil due to a well-designed butt pad, and the reviews I've read also note the Axis's recoil handling ability, for such a light rifle.

Feedback regarding these two platforms would be greatly appreciated.
Particularly if you have hands-on experience with either of these choices...

Thanks!

- Tristan

dtknowles
05-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I have never owned a Savage but I have three Ruger rifles and while they are OK they are not supremely accurate for rifles of their type, a #3, a MDL77 and a 10-22. From what I hear Savage bolt guns have a reputation for surprising accuracy. Not to knock the Rugers, mine have not given my any problems and they shoot reasonable groups that are clearly more than good enough for hunting the game they are appropriate for.

Tim

wallenba
05-01-2013, 02:07 PM
I like them both, but there are currently more chamber choices with the Savage, and a left hand version at no extra charge if you need it. The MSRP is lower too. I own lots of Ruger bolt actions and I like them all with the exception of my 77/357. I still have yet to find what cast works with that. My Savage 99 is 73 years old and my 24 is 60 years old. No real way to campare them as they are not bolt guns, yet the quality is excellant as well as their accuracy. Testament to the company.

pietro
05-01-2013, 04:27 PM

I'm intrigued by the Ruger American's V-Block bedding system, and would dearly love to wring one out.

My son won a new .223 Axis Camo rifle/scope package @ a game dinner raffle a few weeks ago............ IMO, for free ( a $5 raffle ticket), the Axis was worth it.

hicard
05-01-2013, 05:20 PM
I just bought a Savage Hog Hunter and have no complaints. I especially like the accutrigger.

Jailer
05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
The biggest limiting factor of the Axis is you are limited to a factory stock due to the recoil lug design.

rbertalotto
05-01-2013, 08:25 PM
If you want accuracy there is simply no decision....Savage all the way. I've not personally seen an accurate Ruger in over 15 years. They simply have no idea how to make a rifle barrel

I've seen dozens of inexpensive Savages, right out of the box, blow me away with their accuracy.

I run Egg Shoots at 200 and 300 yds. This past shoot nearly everyone was shooting a Savage in the factory class. There were over 30 Savage rifle in attendance. All the Winchester, Remington and Ruger shooters gave up years ago trying to get their rifles to shoot.

Jack Stanley
05-01-2013, 09:11 PM
I've been using a Savage for a little while now and I can agree with the accuracy claims concerning this rifle . I'm very inpressed with it , I do wish they'd make a ten round magazine for range use though .

Jack

badboyparamedic
05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Shot the Savage Axis in 308, good shooting gun for the price

Artful
05-02-2013, 12:59 AM
I'd vote Savage

VA Shooter
05-02-2013, 09:44 AM
I just went through the same delima and I shot both the Axis and the Ruger American in 30-06 Ruger was far more accurate and the adjustible trigger was nice also and very little recoil. I have a Ruger M77 in 257 Roberts that is 25 years old and its a tack driver

Moonie
05-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I have a Savage Edge in 30-06, I really like the rifle, it shoots well.

pdawg_shooter
05-03-2013, 05:10 PM
If you want accuracy...go with the Savage. They build the most accurate "out of the box" factory rifles today.

wch
05-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Savage

TES
05-03-2013, 08:43 PM
If you can get the savage without the bush scope do so and buy better optics. My 06 kept my scope guessing as to my next shot.

BW64
05-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I just went thru the same dilemma & bought th Rem. 700 SPS in .308 w/26" barrel. Should have bought the Savage. The Rem. is in the shop for malfunctioning trigger adjustment! I did get it out to 550 with 8" group before it left.

BW

pdawg_shooter
05-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Maybe Ruger should send their barrel maker to Savage to learn the right way!

otter5555
05-03-2013, 09:39 PM
my savage tactical in .223 is the most accurate rifle i have ever owned in 62 years of shooting. with my pet load it is a consistant 1/3 minute rifle. and i only paid $355 for it when i bought it new (years ago). my remingtons, rugers and winchesters are not in the same league (and cost nearly 3x more money even back then). I'm on the 3rd barrel now but i shoot a lot :) my savage rimfires in 22lr and 17 hmr are also unbelieveable for the price. otter

Crash_Corrigan
05-03-2013, 09:45 PM
My first .22 LR was a Savage Model 23 Bolt rifle. It ain't pretty, it looked like it wanted to be a military rifle and had an excellent stock of clear walnut. Dad started to let me use it when I was 8 or 9 years old and over the years I have fired untold thousands of rounds of ammo thru that old thing.

A very accurate rifle although kinda heavy and sluggish to handle but a great shooter and reliable as a bank vault. I would love to get my paws on another one just for a link to my boyhood.....

Later on I had a Remington 514 Single Shot .22 LR. It was shorter, lighter and easier to pack on my bicycle for fishing trips. However although many years younger than that old Savage it could not begin to compete in accuracy.

dagunnut
05-03-2013, 11:59 PM
I have no experience with the Ruger All American. I do own 3 of the Savage Axis in .223, two of which I converted to 300AAC Blackout. The Savage Axis are all long actions so the bolt throw can be a little on the long side. They lock up solid and the accuracy of all 3 of them out of the box was 3/4" or less at 100yrds. The stock although it looks odd feels really good in the hands and swings up to target really well. I was concerned with the plastic mag catch but I have not heard of any issues in the Edge/Axis line. There are a few simple mods that can be done to the trigger to lighten the pull. The trigger pull on them is a little on the heavy side but even then they still shoot well. There are no after market stock makers yet. There are many after market barrel options available for a completely custom gun and the disassembly is very easy. The scope mounts are not thread locked at the factory and are usually hand tight at best as well as most crosshairs being canted. A little effort by the owner can make these an exceptional rifle at a bargain price tag. These are just my experiences with the Savage Axis .223. Hopefully some other owners will chime in with more information for you.

Mario
dagunnut