PDA

View Full Version : What about the weight of GC's and lube?

Spokerider
05-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Wondering if GC's and lube weight are factored into the published reloading data? Or is it not enough extra weight to worry about if it is not already factored in?

Further, we all know depending upon what the alloy is that we are casting with, there will be variations in weight from mold to mold, boolit to boolit. Again, not enough of a difference to worry about?

Fluxed
05-01-2013, 11:11 AM
None of the above is significant.
This is not rocket science.

Case Stuffer
05-01-2013, 11:12 AM
If you are concerned about pressure then dia. (size) ,hardness and how deep the boolits set in the case will have a lot more bearing.

Golden Rule , start low and work up unless you are using one of the relatively few powders which develop extremely high pressure when loaded below the Normal starting load.

Larry Gibson
05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Golden Rule , start low and work up unless you are using one of the relatively few powders which develop extremely high pressure when loaded below the Normal starting load.

Sage advise given by Case Stuffer and in all reloading manuals which is most often overlooked in this day of; "what's the best load" internet instant load gratification request.........

The weight of the GC isn't really significant as Fluxed mentioned. Reason is even if we think they are all the same the odds of your cast bullet before dressing or when fully dressed (with lube and GC) weighing the same as mine or what they used in the manuals is slim to none with slim being gone. Reason is your mould, your lube, your GCs, your alloy and temp and technique you cast at will all be slightly different than mine or the bullets made for the manuals. Then if we throw in the differences in powder lots, case capacityies, primer variations?????...and the variations in firearms used???????

Best course is to work up the load with your own cast bullets, the componants you have in your own firearm. It's a lot safer that way also........

Larry Gibson

leadman
05-01-2013, 12:17 PM
I was reading an old Handloader bullet casting annual and it was written the addition of a gas check will raise pressures. Don't remember if there was a reason given or not. The figures given were up to 10K or 15K.
I tried one time to determine if this was true by loading boolits with and without a gas check in an H&R I had rechambered to 445 Super Mag. With looking at the primers and measuring the cases I never was able to tell the difference. There was of course a difference in accuracy as velocities increased beyond what a plain base boolit would normally be shot at.

plainsman456
05-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I weight then before i size to sort then after to check the final weight.

Then i choose the loading that is close.

FLHTC
05-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Leadman, i believe the article you're referring to was written on the Wilke gas checks. They replace the driving bands of the bullet and its that reason they effect the peak pressure curve.