PDA

View Full Version : Which cleaning rod do you use?

wch
05-01-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm sure that all of us use a rod guide and clean from the chamber; my question is, what material is your favorite rod made from?
For a while it seemed as if a steel rod was anathema, but I know that Dewey sells them along with their other rods; it seems to me that if the steel rod was problematic, then we wouldn't find them for sale.

375RUGER
05-01-2013, 09:26 AM
I have a couple coated rods- Dewey and Accupro. A bunch of one-piece and sectional non coated- SS, brass. A one-piece homemade carbon rod.
I use the Dewey and Accupro the most.

Kull
05-01-2013, 09:42 AM
I use Tipton rods. Have four total. Two short and two long in both small and large diameters.

blixen
05-01-2013, 04:02 PM
I use a weed-whacker pull-through for maintenance cleaning on my CB shooting rifles. I use Alox/paste wax tumble lube so the bores always seem shiny and the pull-through patches remove powder residue.

For a new-to-me old rifle, I clean the first time with a brass rod and bronze or nylon brush from the breech. If it's really bad, I have a DIY electronic cleaning rod.

My rule of thumb is to clean as little as possible while maintaining accuracy and protecting the bore.

EDG
05-01-2013, 05:09 PM
I push wet and dry patches through with a ProShot stainless 22 cal rod.
With the larger calibers it is easy to push them through without the rod contacting the bore.
The rods are wiped before pushing them through each time.

doctorggg
05-01-2013, 05:32 PM
I use Tipton rods. Have four total. Two short and two long in both small and large diameters.

Ditto for me. I love these carbon fiber rods.

Don McDowell
05-01-2013, 07:20 PM
I prefer the Tipton carbon fiber rods. Have a dewey, but it's an older one and the adaptor broke so I can't get tips for it any more, and most of the coating has worn off.

JHeath
05-01-2013, 07:28 PM
I was coached by an accomplished high-power competitor who preferred a large diameter steel rod, and presented me with one he'd had made. He disliked plastic coated rods because he believed grit could embed in the coating. The large diameter rod provided adequate bore clearance but helped prevent the rod from bending and rubbing the lands. The polished steel he believed, when it did touch the lands, rode them very lightly without abrading.

He seemed right to me then and still does, rest his soul. He'd been a gun-company engineer and on close terms with the best barrel makers in the US and I think knew what he was talking about.

Also high-power shooters from the M1A era avoided cleaning unless some reason appeared. And were/are almost fanatic about not removing the action from the bedding unless absolutely necessary, and cleaning the rifle inverted to keep solvents out of the bedding.

uscra112
05-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I use Hoppes stainless rods. Under ten bucks at Natchez the last time I bought any.

Aside from the outrageous prices, carbon fiber rods are too flexible, and if they get nicked, they splinter, the splinters are nasty. Once they splinter, you have to throw them away. A stainless rod can easily be repolished if it gets a nick.

Coated rods, despite the claims, DO pick up grit. First hand experience.

I use home-made Delrin chamber and muzzle guides always. Use home-brewed Delrin jags.

Good point about the large diameter rod.

Mk42gunner
05-02-2013, 12:09 AM
When I was in the Navy, I used somewhere around a bazillion steel rod sections, in everything from 5.56 to 12 ga (I really despise the 5/8" wooden shotgun rods they used to issue).

I have always read that aluminum rods would imbed grit, then the author would recommend a plastic coated rod. Didn't make sense to me, the plastic coating is even softer than aluminum.

I know have a a couple of Dewy one piece stainless rods that I use.

Robert

In case you have any, the square M-60 receiver brush really works well for a 12 ga bore brush.

R

Ramar
05-02-2013, 07:40 AM
I use hard wood dowels that I chuck in a rotating bearing handle I made. The tips range from a simple dremel cut slot or a lathe turned jag profile. Some tips I have drilled and epoxied a female aluminum 8x32 threaded ferrule to attach tips to. I only use wood in my handguns also.
Ramar

Coonazz
05-02-2013, 04:08 PM
I also use all SS rods. 3 Dewey & 1 Pro Shot.

scb
05-02-2013, 06:37 PM
This is what I've been using for several years now.

http://www.otistec.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=B9DC009A351C4D44BE717B4E 656E7CDA

Artful
05-03-2013, 10:14 PM
I use pull thru bore snakes most of the time now - I still have B&M SS rods in 30 and 22 caliber and I have a long Dewey around here somewhere that I have not used in a long time.

Whiterabbit
05-09-2013, 06:51 PM
wow, no brass love. All my rods are brass. 100%. Homemade from brass stock, threaded on each side for jags.

ONE I cut in half and threaded to make a collapsible model for my range bag. Everything else is full length in the safe. sized for each gun.

Jim
05-09-2013, 07:18 PM
I have a Caldwell Lead Sled bolted to my bench. I strap the rifle in the Lead Sled and pull the patch through with a doubled section of either 100 lb. test monofilament or .075 weed eater line. I have learned how wide to cut the patches so they go through really tight.

nvald1982
05-09-2013, 08:17 PM
I like the Otis cleaning snake, if that what it is called.

John Allen
05-09-2013, 08:32 PM
i started with dewey and still have a couple but prefer the tiptons. They are really nice.

M4Punisher
05-09-2013, 08:53 PM
I used to use steel rods and then coated rods... chucked em... use Bore Snakes in everything!

historicfirearms
05-10-2013, 07:53 AM
I like the bore snakes for a quick clean up, but to get leading out or copper fouling I haven't had much luck with them. I've got a brass rod for heavier cleaning but it does flex and I am not entirely satisfied with it. I think the polished steel rod is the way to go.

'74 sharps
05-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Tipton. Great bearings in handle.

Shtgnr
05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I have a couple of Outers brass rods in 22 and 30 cal, a couple of Dewey rods in 30 and 22,as well as short 22 and 45 cal pistol size rods, but thd ones that make it to the range the most and are used the most are carbon fiber Tiptons in 22 and 30 cal also. I also use delrin bore guides for my bolt guns and will be looking to get some for my singles. I also use a bore snake for my Ruger Mk3 and a snake for my Garand for quick light cleaning.

dagger dog
05-10-2013, 05:25 PM
I have not found a problem using 1 piece stainless rods from Pro-Shot, I have 2, they don't flex enough to contact the bore if used with the correct jag, patch combination.

If you try to use a jag with more patch than what you need, that's when the rod flexes and rubs the bore, chamber, and causes wear.

If you have to clean from the muzzle a guide is a wise choice.

I like the Parker Hale type jags you can spear the corner of the patch and wrap the patch around the jag that way nothing but cloth contacts the bore. It's a little more tricky if you have to clean from the muzzle and takes more care as not to mar the crown.

Bucking the Tiger
05-10-2013, 06:36 PM
I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps( Semper Fi!) as an armorer with 2 of those years on a rifle and pistol team. I have seen a lot of different ways to do it.( Match shooters do not remove action from stock any more than necessary and clean rifle up side down)
i really like the Otis pull through system for rifle barrels( the bore snakes are a good idea too) and prefer the Pro Shot stainless rods and products for handguns( built-in bore guide, good brushes, Parker Hale jags; no eyelet ****)
The best thing to have on hand for gun cleaning is Kano Kroil, in my opinion. Not cheap, but cleans better than anything. It is not a lube( white lithium grease) or a preservative(Birchwood Casey shield/sheath) It will clean a high powered rifle of excess copper( Butch's Bore Shine will get ALL of it: good stuff!) or easily get lead out of a handgun barrel. Have used it for years and love it.

10-x
05-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Use fiberglass, brass and steel(GI) on my serious .30 Cal. rifles(all I have). Pistol and Revolvers get aluminum or brass .

CAVEMTNMAN
05-14-2013, 06:32 AM
I like one peice carbon fiber cleaning rods.

searcher4851
05-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Stainless steel when I use a rod.

KCSO
05-14-2013, 04:17 PM
I use the same GI 50 cal rod with centering adapters that I have used for the last 40 years. it still works and if I need to I can clean up to a 44" barrel.

Clay M
05-14-2013, 04:20 PM
I use an old Parker Hale rod on my Sharps ,but Tipton for everything else.