PDA

View Full Version : Arm strength and a 10 cavity H&G #50 BB---show'n'tell

45Driver
05-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Hi guys, just want to show my latest gunshow find and get some comments from those who can appreciate this kind of artifact.

I've seen this particular mould on the same seller's table for a number of years.

I didn't have a need for a full wadcutter .38 bullet so I walked past it many times.

Well lately I've been getting back into my casting with a vengeance so when the largest of shows in our area was scheduled, I made sure to be there.

I found the guy with the mould and offered $150 on his $175 asking price and he said "SOLD" with no hesitation, (should'a offered $125 ;-) )

It was really gunked up with what looked like a combo of coal dust and old black Alox so I (very carefully!) cleaned it up.

This darn thing is heavy!

http://images56.fotki.com/v168/photos/1/1256184/5635696/DSCF0117-vi.jpg

http://images15.fotki.com/v587/photos/1/1256184/5635696/DSCF0120-vi.jpg

http://images59.fotki.com/v112/photos/1/1256184/5635696/DSCF0122-vi.jpg

It is not stamped with .356 so I think I can actually use the boolits it will throw.

I remember seeing a picture or two of these "gang moulds" when I was a kid in the '70s and having been brought up in a family where our business was casting bullets and loading ammunition, a 10 cavity mould block was pretty exotic.

All we used were Lyman's and as you all know, 4 cavities was the max they ever offered, so that was the largest blocks I'd ever handled or even seen.

Can anybody tell me if this bullet profile will feed in a 1894CB Marlin?

Does anybody have any additional info to offer on this unit? Or some tales of using one of these bad boys?

Did I make a killer deal on this?...or just OK?

Either way, I'm very excited to have this piece of historical American craftsmanship in my collection. :bigsmyl2:

Lots of questions, any replies are appreciated. :smile:

Ben
05-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Can anybody tell me if this bullet profile will feed in a 1894CB Marlin?

About the only credible answer to that question is to load up a couple of " dummy rounds " and actually give them a try.

1Shirt
05-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Might suggest that the use of a casting box to rest the thing on when you open it may save you a lot of sore wrist problems. They are heavy.
1Shirt!

gmsharps
05-01-2013, 08:37 AM
If you do not use gloves casting now is a good time to start. They do not have to be heavy gloves but something to keep blisters from forming. I usually do only 1,000 at a sitting with the 10 holer and then take a small break. Gives you time to move the pile and get ready for the next one. These molds will pump out some Boolits but take a technique to keep from wearing you out. They will drain a 20lb pot in no time.

gmsharps

runfiverun
05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
I have the lyman version of this mold and it sat around for quite some time until I could get around to shooting some of the boolits I made from it.
it won't be doing much sitting about anymore.
I don't have a marlin but in my rossi they are hit and miss on the feeding.
one will two won't then 4-5 will.
no problem it feeds all my other boolits just fine in 357 mag cases.
i'll probably end up working a nice light target load in 38 cases with the wadcutter and leave em at that.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
05-01-2013, 04:10 PM
That's beautiful, and a great find, I too have often wondered about casting with a beast like that, or even the Ideal 7 cavity armory molds, it does seem like a 10 cavity like that would take quite a bit more than 2.5x the effort of a 4 cavity, so it could very well be less efficient for casting, but they are still incredible tools.

GaryN
05-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Now you need a 40 lb. lead furnace to feed it. That thing is going to get hungry.

bones37
05-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I got one of those 10 cavity molds, mine is the #115, which is a 9mm bevel base. It is marked .357", but actually casts larger(3585") with my alloy. After researching, I found out mine was made in the late 80's, all the fasteners are allen head, not single slotted screw heads. Anyhow, I paid 125.00 for mine at a local shop where a bunch of younger guys worked, and they obviously didn't know what they had judging from the response they gave me when I ask them about it.

I can tell You that it's heavy and somewhat cumbersome. The others who posted about blocks, etc. are right. You will need something to set the thing on when pouring from a bottom pour pot. There *IS* a technique involved, and it took me MANY tries to get it right. PREHEAT, preheat, and preheat some more, but once You get everything right it will make a pile of boolits quick.

bones37

Le Loup Solitaire
05-01-2013, 10:35 PM
That was a great buy. It looks to be in very good shape and is worth around $200....maybe more. They are not easy to find. When the mold is up to speed you can crank out large numbers of bullets quickly. H&G molds have a low rejection rate of casts. If you are using a bottom pour it might benefit you to have some sort of mold guide to take up some of the weight for it can get to you after a while and sore wrists are the price to pay. Take good care of it and it will reward you for many years to come. LLS

theperfessor
05-03-2013, 04:26 PM
I have a 10 cavity H & G #258 mold. That's the 220 gr .41 Keith style bullet. Once it is hot it will really pile up the bullets! Better to ladle cast, I tried to bottom pour. As suggested, a box to rest it on the edges of, pour and then rotate 180 and dump the bullets out in the box. I now use a group buy Mihec four cavity brass mold that was made to the dimensions of the boolits from the H & G. Much less work!

2wheelDuke
05-03-2013, 04:33 PM
That mold is a thing of beauty, but I'd feel like Popeye after running it for very long!